Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383850 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Bees? BEES! - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1110 on: February 26, 2014, 07:43:31 pm »

McUrist's Family Restaurant & General Hospital, 2nd Obsidian

"Eurrrrrrrrrrrgh............what happened?"
"I have no idea. Sod off and be healthy so I can have a drink."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diary of Meng Rirnolas, Master Architect

8th Obsidian

This is a disaster! I apparently descend into madness and coma for a few months, and everything falls apart without me! The new work is a mess, and it's nowhere near finished. Commander McKiwi has been filling in for me, and while she's doing well enough considering her lack of architectural training.....I have so much to do, and less than a month left!

I've taken to building mechanical components for the bridges myself. I'm not all that good at it, but they must be working before my term ends, or they'll never be finished! I've also reprioritised a few tasks so that one of the more crucial walkway segments is completed as soon as possible. This has paid off to some degree...McKiwi Tower will soon be able to be sealed off, and the master lever that controls the bridges will soon be able to completely seal off the outer compound if it is breached.

But there is so much I won't get finished....my masterpiece is a cluttered mess of abandoned stones, trap parts and body parts. And who on earth decided to put all these beehives around the place? That must have taken weeks to do at best.

10th Obsidian

We lost a worker today. One of these "strange moods". I'd complain, but I did spend the last few months in a coma. I asked Commander McKiwi about the beehives, since she's apparently become a beekeeper since I last saw her. Dashing she may be, but her response was not. I'm no closer to understanding what happened there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course things start moving at an acceptable speed in the last month. Ah well. I've got to do some stuff today that blocks me from continuing the turn until later. I'll either edit this post with the rest of the final update once I've played the month, or put up a new post. Strange Mood Guy is a carpenter, so we can expect a really nice crutch or something.

Edit: I fail at BBcode
Edit2: Also, I can't wall the sides of the main moat bridge. There's a building already there....I am guessing it's a permanently retracted drawbridge.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:47:46 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 01, 2014, 10:53:00 pm »

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf

10th Obsidian

He doesn't remember the beehives. He doesn't remember them at all. All that damned buzzing and stinging could have been avoided if I'd just kept my mouth shut around the damned priest. Damnit....I should....ahem. Dashing. Things could have gone rather smoother today.

Still. Meng's alive, and trying to fix the mess we've made of his "masterpiece". I don't think it's going to do much though.

I couldn't find my gear in time for sparring. I'm tempted to put my squad onto constant training, just to make sure I get some practice...in fact, why not? We're the Royal Fist, the elite force of our mountainhome.....we should be ready for anything.

Although I am definitely not ready for more beekeeping.

12th Obsidian

While Meng runs around shouting orders at people, I've put in some paperwork to get myself some nice socks. One of the perks of the job, I suppose. I've had the emergency farm in the North Tower started up. Wild strawberries. I may be old, but I can still enjoy them.

Speaking of age.....I feel it is time to start work on finding a successor to the McKiwi name. I won't be here forever, and unlike my predecessors, I feel I owe the future owner of this name some training in the art of dashingness.

--------------------------------------------------------

And so it continues to end. Urist McKiwi III is 158 years old. That means that while she's still damned tough, she may well die of old age before she can die in battle. I think I'll give one of the more promising militiadwarves the "McKiwi IV" label before the end of my turn, just in case. I've had to slow things waaaaaay down because of some tweaks to the military I've been doing that have taken a bunch of time, but I should be done by tomorrow.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 01, 2014, 10:57:24 pm »

I'll play, but I can't start right away most likely.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 03, 2014, 12:15:02 am »

I'll play, but I can't start right away most likely.

Even assuming people skip, turns in moltenchannels are slow enough you probably won't have to play very soon.

Right. Final update.

-----------------------------------

15th Obsidian

I've begun reviewing the military for a successor. I'll clue them in on Udib's affairs.....maybe it's age, but I'm not trusting that dwarf as much as I used to. All these secrets and dark magics and the like are hardly a thing for someone as upstanding as myself to get involved in....and I'll be damned if I let it ensnare my soldiers either....

17th Obsidian

The Royal Fist's lasher wanted to step down. His replacement seems oddly.....familiar. Strange. Female.... 98 years of age...enough to know of the world. And while she's never picked up a weapon before, she seems willing enough to learn. There's definitely some potential here. And she seems to care enough about the McKiwi name as well. A most suitable candidate. Or at least, the most suitable I've got. I'll see about getting her a more.....suitable....weapon.

20th Obsidian

Apparently one of Meng's workers has occupied a leatherworking station and is drawing pictures of what he wants. I can't really do much about this, of course. Meng's successor will have to take care of things.

21st

That strange fellow ran into my office again to scream about an owl going wild. Been a while since I last saw him.....it seems McDuck has not given up on things. Hmm. Dashing I may be, but what needs to be done is less dashing....and more practical....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Letter from Urist McKiwi III, Militia Commander of Moltenchannels the Leaky Ardent Dike, to CaptainArchmage III (I), King of The Strategic Bodices. Dated 22nd Obsidian, 1098.

My Liege

I beg leave to inform you that our fortress security may be compromised. Latest failed development project not intended to contain outside threats but internal dangers. While I do not pretend to understand the full of it, I believe our fortress was established to keep something in, not out. The priest knows more, but is unlikely to share it. Or something like that. In the event of my death I have left my full account for my successor as the McKiwi, and you will also receive a full account of my experiences with the more unusual events of the last decade. This subterfuge is hardly dashing on my part, so I would prefer it if you kept this in strict confidence for as long as you can. I suspect that greater knowledge of Udib's plans may be essential for our survival.

In other news, I'm well aware that you need renovations on your chambers to bring them up to standard. You should have taken that up with our architect before he went insane. Please stop sending me memos on the subject.

-McKiwi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

28th Obsidian

It is done. Papers have been left, the King has been informed of the more relevant parts of Udib's scheme......all is prepared. I comforted Meng this evening....he was rather upset over how things turned out. Well....he's young. There's a lot more time left for him to carry on. And one day I think he will be a truly fearsome architect. As long as he avoids the beehives, of course.

I think I'll rest now. It's been a busy year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's give it up for Urist McKiwi III and UristTheGrey II: The two soldiers so badass that they managed to die of old age in Moltenchannels.

Also technically since they died on the New Year, I had no deaths at all this year....but with those two gone, we're at 136 dwarves.

Interestingly, "Urist McKiwi IV" is a renamed "Urist McZombie" who is in turn a renamed "Urist McKiwi II". I did plan to give her a candy spear and the like. Then McKiwi III died. So now she's taking III's place at the head of the Royal Fist. Rather an abrupt training program is in order, I think.

I have redorfed UristTheGrey as one of our other marksdwarves, who is also the mayor. The strange-mood guy may be an issue. I've no idea what he wants.

Save is Here!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:25:58 am by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 03, 2014, 05:35:47 pm »

That sounds great! I'll take a look at the save and see what has changed.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 03, 2014, 07:42:24 pm »

That sounds great! I'll take a look at the save and see what has changed.

More peasants, bees, unfinished construction, pointless levers mixed with real levers.

Less coherence, people, highly trained soldiers and dashingness.

I believe it's Gigmaster's turn now. Anyone flicked a PM over?

Edit: There is a lever designated for construction with a note marked "Don't pull this". This is because it doesn't do anything. I was planning something fun, but ran out of time. Since the note is technically accurate, I figured I'd just leave it there.
Edit2: It occurs to me now that we probably have other levers with "don't pull this" notes, which really shouldn't be pulled. Ah well. A little confusion never hurt anyone.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:47:53 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 09, 2014, 08:17:56 am »

Since Gigmaster is MIA, I'll go ahead and take the turn barring objections.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 09, 2014, 05:03:57 pm »

Sorry I didn't PM Gigmaster. Has anyone done so?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 09, 2014, 05:43:49 pm »

Sorry I didn't PM Gigmaster. Has anyone done so?
I have now. His last activity was in late January.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 09, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »

My recommendation is to wait another 24-48 hours and if not, Gigmaster can start his/her turn and we add 24-48 hours to his/her deadline, not that the deadlines are that strict anymore with the state of FPS now.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 10, 2014, 01:13:52 am »

Fine by me.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 10, 2014, 10:45:38 am »

Ach, I should have some free time in about half a year's time, so put me on the play list again. Hopefully, get to play before Cutey dies of old age.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 10, 2014, 10:13:19 pm »

Ach, I should have some free time in about half a year's time, so put me on the play list again. Hopefully, get to play before Cutey dies of old age.

I can't remember how old she is...I should have checked the other named dwarves at the end of the turn, really. She was doing pretty well hauling bricks/rocks/wood/insert-random-construction-material-here and whacking things with a hammer during the last year.

The old age thing is going to be an issue....unless we can get enough births to replenish the population then we're going to have dwindling numbers even without sieges and the like. There's still a chance that some DFhack magic might get us more migrants (if someone wants to play with the save and see what works, now's an excellent time to do so), but otherwise......we have a potential problem here.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 13, 2014, 05:12:50 am »

Well, a dwindling population until everyone dies of old age would give a definite ending to the game...

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:50 am »

Well, a dwindling population until everyone dies of old age would give a definite ending to the game...

Yea, on the one hand that sounds terribly boring, on the other it's so rare that it would be sort of awesome in and of itself.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 100