Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383820 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Bees? BEES! - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1125 on: March 13, 2014, 11:50:12 am »

Well, a dwindling population until everyone dies of old age would give a definite ending to the game...

Yea, on the one hand that sounds terribly boring, on the other it's so rare that it would be sort of awesome in and of itself.

The only one I remember was a thread called Children of Dwarves. It was actually really impressive and really sad. It was the first time I actually felt bad for the dwarfs. I had to quit the game for about a week until the normal bay12 sociopathy returned.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 13, 2014, 12:52:48 pm »

Well, a dwindling population until everyone dies of old age would give a definite ending to the game...

Yea, on the one hand that sounds terribly boring, on the other it's so rare that it would be sort of awesome in and of itself.

The only one I remember was a thread called Children of Dwarves. It was actually really impressive and really sad. It was the first time I actually felt bad for the dwarfs. I had to quit the game for about a week until the normal bay12 sociopathy returned.
It would certainly have some novelty value. On the downside, since we have a few dwarves like Meng who only just reached adulthood, this particular method of killing the fort would take about 140-155 years to work, at minimum. Barring accidents, which will almost certainly happen.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 14, 2014, 05:55:16 am »

So, no reply from Gigmaster?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 16, 2014, 01:06:27 am »

So, no reply from Gigmaster?

Nothing. Guess you can go ahead on the turn whenever you want. :)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 18, 2014, 08:51:00 pm »

I have the save, but I'm right in the middle of a research paper, so I'll start playing tomorrow. Shouldn't take too long to get reacquainted with the weirdness.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 19, 2014, 08:09:24 am »

Allo. I'd like to request a turn.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 19, 2014, 09:04:05 am »

McClellan can go ahead of me in the roster. Ideally, I'd like at least a decade in-game between each turn.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 19, 2014, 03:13:31 pm »

I have the save, but I'm right in the middle of a research paper, so I'll start playing tomorrow. Shouldn't take too long to get reacquainted with the weirdness.

You have no idea.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 22, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »

Yeah, I see what you mean.

---

It's been fifteen days since I took control of the fortress. The intended candidate went missing and so far the search parties have turned up nothing. I'm sure he'll be located eventually. In that time, I've mostly been going over the plans for the new construction, but I've finally solved the problem with the newer minecart track. It seems that the dumping mechanism was constructed incorrectly. It was stopping the cart, but not dumping into the volcano. I had it removed and replaced. Now it seems to work just fine. If only all our problems are that easy, I'll be done in no time.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 22, 2014, 09:51:38 pm »

Huh. It seemed to be fine earlier. Still, that's one problem out of the way....after I-honestly-don't-know-how-many years of rebuilds, rethinks, and tweaks to try and get that darned thing working.

As you've no doubt also noticed, Meng's Masterpiece is going to be a slooooooow build if you continue it. If you need workers for something else, I'd advise taking 30 or so workers and setting them to only do masonry, then get all the others to ignore masonry. That'll compartmentalise things a little and increase speed. I didn't bother because I had more or less everyone on masonry.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 23, 2014, 04:09:10 am »

The minecart was the only thing that caught my attention because the courtyard is covered in refuse stockpiles for some reason, and so fixing the minecart was the only way to deal with the issue. I'll look at the other stuff.

Massed labor is the dwarven way to build things, but if I could, I'd mass undesignate the entire project and convert all the stone to blocks because they build so much faster with those. As it is, I'm going to build an entire block making facility underground and a minecart system to send them up stairs for the next set of construction. If I do it right, you should have about a thousand blocks to build with to continue the project when your turn comes up again.

I will have to compartmentalize though, to keep the project and the other tasks flowing.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 23, 2014, 11:52:46 am »

My mining senses are tingling. No, wait, that's my nose burning. It seems that Urist McKiwi III died. Rather undashingly on the main stair case. Annoyingly, this means that the smell is both rising and falling up the middle of everything. And we have precisely zero coffins, anywhere. I've ordered some made, though I'm not sure exactly who the manager is.

Cog is the name. He came by to complain about the coffins on top of a bunch of other randomly useless things. I took an axe to his list. After his surprise ended, I sent him along a slightly happier dwarf. With the coffins constructed I inquired as to the fate of McKiwi's body. I was informed no one was able to do anything about it. Upon close inspection, I determined the problem. At some point, someone had applied a piece of paper to McKiwi's chest plate with the words: Do Not Disturb, scrawled on it.

After taking two deep breaths, and assuring those around I was not intent on smashing the now slightly runny corpse of McKiwi into larger puddles of goo, I removed the paper and used a calm voice to instruct them to bury the body. The speed at which they complied leads me to believe that I was not as calm as I thought.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:50 pm »

My mining senses are tingling. No, wait, that's my nose burning. It seems that Urist McKiwi III died. Rather undashingly on the main stair case. Annoyingly, this means that the smell is both rising and falling up the middle of everything. And we have precisely zero coffins, anywhere. I've ordered some made, though I'm not sure exactly who the manager is.

I have a very nice tomb down by the magma sea. So I'll end up down there once you unforbid everything.

Edit: Find UristTheGreyII as well. He died of old age the same time I did.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 23, 2014, 07:11:13 pm »

Ah, so that's where you ended up. UristTheGreyII was already buried when I started the fortress. Annoyingly, I can locate neither your tomb nor your corpse. I'll see if I can find them. Fortunately, there were other bodies lying around so the coffins aren't wasted.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 23, 2014, 09:33:52 pm »

Ah, so that's where you ended up. UristTheGreyII was already buried when I started the fortress. Annoyingly, I can locate neither your tomb nor your corpse. I'll see if I can find them. Fortunately, there were other bodies lying around so the coffins aren't wasted.
My quarters and tomb are next to the adamantine mining areas on literally the lowest level of the fortress, waaaaaay down just above the magma sea. Next to a bunch of workshops for strand extraction. Also next to archmage's massive unfinished palace. If you'd mind reassigning the quarters next to said tomb to Urist McKiwi IV when/if you find it, I'd be much obliged. Or you can take it over and use it as a refuge or something....it's McKiwi II's bolt-hole, and has an emergency lock-down system that will seal it (and only it) away from the rest of the fort.

Edit: Also, how are the bees going? I honestly never checked if we were getting honey from the 20-30 hives I ordered. Really should have thought of that earlier....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:37:50 pm by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 100