Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383817 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New Log: By the twenty-sixth of Hematite, it's become clear that the merchants aren't intent on leaving very quickly. The gate is open, but the skeleton outside seems to have no interest in the tasty dwarf meat inside. With the Helmed Taxes, our crack hammer dwarf squad waiting just inside the gates, I've ordered the Laborious Assemblies, our ranged warriors, upon to the defensive Bulwark south of the gate. While I'm unsure how effective bolts and arrows will be, I'm hoping that the attack might provoke action and lure the undead beast into our traps. Or cause it to lay upon the elves, either one being a beneficial outcome for the fortress.

You could also investigate the Volcano Tower, above the waste-disposal railways. If you can get the other ranged-weapons squad up there (assuming that the firing galleries ever got built) you might be able to hit more of the area.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Grim Reaper's Siege (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1171 on: April 10, 2014, 06:01:38 am »

The skeleton is just south of the west bridge, so the only place to have them stand on the wall just south the of the tower.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 10, 2014, 08:44:58 am »

Why don't you guys have fortifications built? And ballistae? It's not too late maybe...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 10, 2014, 08:43:34 pm »

There are fortifications, they just aren't in the right place. Besides, it's actually a Dingo Skeleton, and those aren't known for shooting back.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 11, 2014, 01:47:00 am »

The skeleton is just south of the west bridge, so the only place to have them stand on the wall just south the of the tower.

Yeah, I never got much done on the towers I'd planned to build in that area. Ah well. Shoot the heck out of it and it should fall over. If it gets back up, we have necromancers running around and we'll need to shoot them as well.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 11, 2014, 10:55:36 pm »

*deep breath* There are NO necromancers on the map.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 12, 2014, 04:26:13 am »

*deep breath* There are NO necromancers on the map.

Yet.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44:35 pm »

So, as of the eighteenth of Malachite, both of the threatening skeletons are rather thoroughly deceased. To prevent any further resurrections, I've ordered the dead beasts claimed and thrown into the volcano. Meanwhile, our aristocrat friend is currently busy with a mysterious construction. I hope it's less mysterious than the construction of our fortress.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 13, 2014, 03:30:03 am »

So, as of the eighteenth of Malachite, both of the threatening skeletons are rather thoroughly deceased. To prevent any further resurrections, I've ordered the dead beasts claimed and thrown into the volcano. Meanwhile, our aristocrat friend is currently busy with a mysterious construction. I hope it's less mysterious than the construction of our fortress.

The construction of our fortress is entirely sane and logical.

.....for a certain, very specific definition of those two words.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Escher Fortress (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1179 on: April 14, 2014, 02:03:48 am »

I hate to double post, but some time in the next year or so (ingame. Obviously, although with the length of turns recently it might synchronise anyway) we really need some stonesense renders to show off the fort. Given construction has continued a bit since I left the fort it's likely to be even more interesting than it was then.....and even then, the screenshots didn't truly do it justice. Pity stonesense can't do multi-level renders anymore....I'd love to see what the entire fort looks like from the surface. EDIT: I stand corrected. We can do multi-level renders with it. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:08:13 am by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 14, 2014, 08:07:48 am »

We should add multi-layer water constructs and mechanisms for no reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 14, 2014, 07:59:11 pm »

You haven't seen this fort yet, have you? We've already got at least one abandoned non-functional reactor, a device that floods the fort with magma, a device that floods the outside of the fort with magma (just not very well), and something down to the south/south-east of the fort that does something with magma, but no one knows what (and it's unfinished). And that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head. :P

So yeah, we probably should add more....if the game can take it. FPS is already pretty low.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 14, 2014, 10:27:09 pm »

The construction of our fortress is entirely sane and logical.

.....for a certain, very specific definition of those two words.

Everything was constructed here for a reason. Just, sometimes, they weren’t good ones, or the designs were so bad they were abandoned.

For example, the lava cannon was designed to flood the outside with lava, flood the area on the fortress island but outside the main keep with lava, and flood the keep (and main fortress) with lava.

New Townbrush (named after Townbrush, another legendary fort from DF2010) was intended to be a survival shelter in case the rest of the fortress was overrun.

You haven't seen this fort yet, have you? We've already got at least one abandoned non-functional reactor, a device that floods the fort with magma, a device that floods the outside of the fort with magma (just not very well), and something down to the south/south-east of the fort that does something with magma, but no one knows what (and it's unfinished). And that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head. :P

So yeah, we probably should add more....if the game can take it. FPS is already pretty low.

We actually have two non-functional reactors. One was never properly finished, the other was completed but didn’t work properly.

There’s a partially constructed green glass tower thing that seems to be a magma pumpstack. The hallways down there were probably intended for transporting magma too, but that was never finished and they are now used for getting from A to B and storing excess materials.

There’s also a large number of stacked drawbridges I believe were intended to either fling lava upwards or punch it out of existence.

The water pumpstack was never switched on and I think we need more reactors to get it working.

I believe the best course of action would be to install some powered minecart networks, with reactors in acceptable positions. I wanted to extend the water pumpstack aboveground, but circumstances did not allow it.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 15, 2014, 03:59:10 am »

There's definitely a lever somewhere that'll flood the lower caverns with lava. Unfortunately, it lowers the volcano level so much that it drains the moat. Also it's completely pointless.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 15, 2014, 05:54:40 am »

No, the water pumpstack works perfectly fine. I ran it once during the alternate turn I had, and used it to try and start the larger non-functional reactor. It filled the reactor just fine. The reactor just doesn't work because it was designed poorly.

I'll see about some Stonesense screenshots.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 100