Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383829 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Escher Fortress (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1185 on: April 15, 2014, 04:41:34 pm »

Captain's Log, experimental: Why did I write that? Whatever. It seems that our aristocrat friend has completed his artifact:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/Triaxx2/Artifact_zps8e7097cb.png

I've also commissioned an artist to do a rendition of the fortress. For this task, we erected a twelve hundred foot fishing pole and dangled him from it. He was less than amused, and even more so once he was informed he wouldn't come down until he finished. The following is his result. He begs forgiveness for blurred drawing, and from those dwarves who experienced a sudden, unscheduled rain shower. The finished product is included here:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/Triaxx2/MoltenchannelsSurface_zps4bc0b87f.jpg

All other things seem to be going without a hitch, which is nice for a change. A large number of mason's workshops have been set up and designated to continually produce blocks of stone for the further construction of the fortress. Some of them are not complete, but others are still in progress. The others will be turned on in due course, but for now, project Block-it is a go.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »

No, the water pumpstack works perfectly fine. I ran it once during the alternate turn I had, and used it to try and start the larger non-functional reactor. It filled the reactor just fine. The reactor just doesn't work because it was designed poorly.

I'll see about some Stonesense screenshots.

The water pumpstack works perfectly fine, but you need to shut down the magma weapon else there isn’t enough power in the system to run both.

The reactor close to the surface is poorly designed. The one that doesn’t work because the infiniflow got screwed up during the initial filling process is in the first cavern layer.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:03 pm »

We should probably establish how to shut down the magma pumps. Just in case.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 16, 2014, 06:16:50 am »

I seem to recall there being a lever to do that. Might even be labelled. I'll look around.

Okay, so there IS a lever to transfer power from reactor Alpha to the pumpstack.  There is a set of floodgates to restart the reactor, but it's running just fine. There is a problem with Reactor Beta on level 137, but it's not because of the infiniflow. It's because the reactor requires 108 power to run and is for some reason, providing 100 power. If anyone knows where the lever to close the floodgate and shut down the water into reactor beta is, I might be able to reconfigure it to function properly.

There is also a lever in New Townbrush to disconnect power to the shroud. It's on the far left hand side of the lever cross.

The construction to the south east of the fortress was intended originally to be a pressure tower so we could use magma landmines to defend the town. That said, if someone had the knowledge and time to do it, we could convert the Shroud into a pressure tower. That would give us the option of deploying the Shroud, or leaving it in a closed state and unleashing torrents of magma upon our foes.

I will admit curiosity as to WHY, aside from science, anyone thought having the lava drain lever set the island on fire was a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:44:06 am by Triaxx2 »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 16, 2014, 10:39:06 am »

I seem to recall there being a lever to do that. Might even be labelled. I'll look around.

Okay, so there IS a lever to transfer power from reactor Alpha to the pumpstack.  There is a set of floodgates to restart the reactor, but it's running just fine. There is a problem with Reactor Beta on level 137, but it's not because of the infiniflow. It's because the reactor requires 108 power to run and is for some reason, providing 100 power. If anyone knows where the lever to close the floodgate and shut down the water into reactor beta is, I might be able to reconfigure it to function properly.

There is also a lever in New Townbrush to disconnect power to the shroud. It's on the far left hand side of the lever cross.

The construction to the south east of the fortress was intended originally to be a pressure tower so we could use magma landmines to defend the town. That said, if someone had the knowledge and time to do it, we could convert the Shroud into a pressure tower. That would give us the option of deploying the Shroud, or leaving it in a closed state and unleashing torrents of magma upon our foes.

I will admit curiosity as to WHY, aside from science, anyone thought having the lava drain lever set the island on fire was a good idea.

All the controls for the lava weapon are in New Townbrush. I set the lava drain to the island because that floodgate was already installed. It would be useful if the fortress island fell to the enemy, because that way it would be possible to trap goblins inside of a burning island but outside of the main keep.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 16, 2014, 11:23:44 am »

Makes sense. I'll see if I can find the lever for Reactor Beta and fix it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 16, 2014, 12:04:32 pm »

Are lever-pulling gremlins still a thing in DF?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 16, 2014, 12:50:19 pm »

Are lever-pulling gremlins still a thing in DF?

Yes, but they're not very common.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 16, 2014, 06:34:23 pm »

Makes sense. I'll see if I can find the lever for Reactor Beta and fix it.

You’ll probably need to set the infiniflow flags for the reactor tiles to do that, and have water inside the reactor. It doesn’t need to be draining out, see reactor alpha for the setup.

The levers for the reactors are on the level with the forges. There’s a little room filled with levers and maybe a statue. The levers are labeled, and some are there waiting to be connected i.e. to more reactors.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 16, 2014, 08:52:55 pm »

I think all it needs is to be stopped and restarted, but I can't get the flow to rest while the floodgate is open. I'll poke around with it tomorrow or Friday.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 16, 2014, 10:57:32 pm »

I set the lava drain to the island because that floodgate was already installed. It would be useful if the fortress island fell to the enemy, because that way it would be possible to trap goblins inside of a burning island but outside of the main keep.

Speaking of which, it might be a good idea to patch all those holes/doorways in the walls and link up the bridges properly so we *can* close off the Keep.

Edit: Also, I love the fact that after ~20 years of construction, we have to effectively take an entire year working out exactly what the heck we've actually got in this fortress.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 16, 2014, 11:12:02 pm »

I think all it needs is to be stopped and restarted, but I can't get the flow to rest while the floodgate is open. I'll poke around with it tomorrow or Friday.

I tried that many times. The solution requires using DFHack to reset the state of the tiles to the original one with the system completely empty, and then filling the reactor.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 17, 2014, 07:39:31 am »

If that worked, it'd be fine. But since it's still broken, something else has to be wrong. The pump is pointing NORTH for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 18, 2014, 12:01:57 pm »

Right. So, I'm draining reactor Beta, and once I have that done, I'm going to modify the pump setup and see if that fixes the issue.

The Humans have been around, trading for a while, but between the fact that we're still moving things to the depot, and the fact that our trader is busy doing other things, including making Rock Blocks, I'm unsure if we'll be able to make any profits. I've orded him to stop doing any masonry, along with the rest of our miners. Hopefully that'll get some of this mining done. On the other hand, it is now Autumn, so we're edging closer to the end of the year.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:14:24 pm by Triaxx2 »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:04 pm »

Hmmm.... "Drain the reactor" Not a phrase well-known for meaning anything good.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 100