Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385472 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Who's the Captain of this ship? (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1230 on: May 19, 2014, 12:35:10 am »

Fetching save.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 21, 2014, 09:13:08 pm »

(( I love how when I search "Moltenchannels" the first thing that pops up is not this thread, but rather my roll to dodge, where I mentioned MoltenChannels exactly once in an OOC comment. It's probably changed now that I've said "Moltenchannels" so many times in one post.))

Anyway... Just opened the Moltenchannels save, and this might be kinda dumb but dang is there a lot of magma.

1st Granite: I arrive at this place Moltenchannels and check the logs. I note that several corpses have recently got caught in a cloud of fire. I'm not sure yet whether this is good or bad. There is a healthy 133 dwarf population. This is the most dwarves I've ever been in charge of at once. I sincerely hope all goes well for me.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 22, 2014, 03:13:55 am »

You'll get used to those burning corpse messages. They never end.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 22, 2014, 06:01:57 am »

You'll get used to those burning corpse messages. They never end.

Yeah, basic rules of moltenchannels:

1. Burning corpses & undead FB are normal. Someone tried getting an undead siege to fight our FBs, and it worked a little too well, so notquitethere sealed them in lava and then sealed that off with obsidian. No, this wasn't planned in advance but apart from the log spam and mild lag it's not that bad. Keep an eye on the caverns though because I never finished sealing them off (see also: Giant Winged Worm flies up our dining room waterfall during my first turn).

2. The forest will catch fire at some point. We don't know why, it just does.

2a. Forest fires are awesome for clearing out trouble, unless it's undead trouble.
2b. Don't send the militia out during forest fires. Trust me, it doesn't end well.

3. A certain handsome, charming, modest and highly sensible player (cough) has filled most of our upper areas with nonsensically designed additions that weren't exactly "finished". These additions were added to the additions to the add-on extensions to the additions to the original design for the fort that was never actually built. Thus, the place looks like the blueprints were drawn up by a committee of angry bears on pogo sticks. However.....it's quite functional. Edit: Well, not really. But you can do a lot once you find things. The important bits are the corpse-disposal railway, the bridges, and the towers.

3A. Also: Our fortress is full of bees. Beware of minor singularities and causality violations around some of the beehives.

4. Try not to kill anyone because we get literally no migrants because we've broken the game to the point where normal workarounds for the migrants bug don't actually work. Either that or there are no other dwarves left in our civ except in our fort (actually, can we check that?)

5. if in doubt, the drawbridge levers are in the middle of the courtyard (ish), and the levers for the magma weapon are waaaaaaaay underground in a hard to find room. They're labelled though.

6. Oh, yes. I forgot. Do not unseal the topside hospital. (Edit2: or the walled-off bits of blood. They cause the afflicted to turn into a happy ball of blisters and suffering.....and then all their organs stop working)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:10:57 am by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 22, 2014, 06:10:41 am »

Someone tried getting an undead siege to fight our FBs, and it worked a little too well,
That was also me. My time as overseer was marked by a series of increasingly drastic gambits to solve the problems caused by earlier gambits.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 22, 2014, 06:17:05 am »

Someone tried getting an undead siege to fight our FBs, and it worked a little too well,
That was also me. My time as overseer was marked by a series of increasingly drastic gambits to solve the problems caused by earlier gambits.

Well it worked out fairly well in the end. We got part of our queen back.

Edit: And I can't really talk, seeing as I did send our militia into a forest fire, although in my defense it was accidental.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 22, 2014, 01:57:28 pm »

I would point and laugh if I hadn't left the door open.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 22, 2014, 06:55:48 pm »

Hahah. You guys.Well, I'll take all that into consideration. Sorry about not being very responsive, I went to a b-day party and slept a lot today besides.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 22, 2014, 10:44:46 pm »

The forest fires start from fire imps throwing fireballs out of the volcano, if you want to know.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 22, 2014, 10:53:51 pm »

The forest fires start from fire imps throwing fireballs out of the volcano, if you want to know.
That's one cause of them. I've counted about 5 different causes so far:

1.Magma crabs

2.Fire imps

3.Peeps falling in during fights

4. Lava weapons

5. !!Magic!!

The latter is when it just happens when nothing that can logically cause a fire is around the place.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 26, 2014, 06:37:54 pm »

Ok.... So due to terrible frame rates, I might not be able to finish my turn. I've been playing for a few hours each day and still am only in Late Spring. I'll try to finish up until Mid-Summer tonight. May I have another week?

Also. We have an elven caravan. Do we have anything that's safe to trade with them or should I just kill them and take their stuff like I do in every other fort?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 26, 2014, 06:53:33 pm »

Ok.... So due to terrible frame rates, I might not be able to finish my turn. I've been playing for a few hours each day and still am only in Late Spring. I'll try to finish up until Mid-Summer tonight. May I have another week?

Also. We have an elven caravan. Do we have anything that's safe to trade with them or should I just kill them and take their stuff like I do in every other fort?

The two-week limit went out the window ages ago. Take as long as you need.

I'd advise keeping them alive, as we sometimes need their booze and stuff. We've got mountains of crappy clothes and the like that can be traded to buy them out probably.

.....Or you can steal all their stuff and attract an army for us to kill, but be aware that it may rise from the dead and literally come back to haunt you.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 26, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »

The two-week limit went out the window ages ago. Take as long as you need.

I'd advise keeping them alive, as we sometimes need their booze and stuff. We've got mountains of crappy clothes and the like that can be traded to buy them out probably.

.....Or you can steal all their stuff and attract an army for us to kill, but be aware that it may rise from the dead and literally come back to haunt you.
And the clothes, are they in wooden bins? I have yet to not accidentally trade wood to elves. That's why I kill them every time. It's not because I particularly like to kill elves.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 27, 2014, 04:53:54 am »

Just go through the items traded and remove the bins if necessary. Or sell them gems and rock toys/instruments/mugs, I'm sure there's plenty of junk in the fortress we don't need.

I empathise with the low frame rate. I suspect that it will be the death of this fortress like so many before it.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 27, 2014, 05:04:49 am »

Oh yeah, I may have set some repeating "make rock whatever" orders on out-of-the-way workshops some years ago in an attempt to flood the fort with random crap. I'm fairly sure I did, anyway. Backfired a bit when I needed a lot of rock for building...but if those orders weren't cancelled or ignored there might be instruments or toys or sommat.

And death by bad framerate was good enough for Ardentdikes, so it's good enough for us!.....although if you feel like breaching hell by all means go ahead and do it. We've had about 6 attempts to get through to our little demonic fort and none of them have even come close.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 100