Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383844 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Righto then. CaptainArchmage or Wastedlabor, if either of you are around would you pick up the save?

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not before Thursday.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The above link is wrong btw, it's: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8653

I'm toying with it in adventure mode both to refresh my DFing and finally find out what adventure mode is like. :P

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The above link is wrong btw, it's: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8653

I'm toying with it in adventure mode both to refresh my DFing and finally find out what adventure mode is like. :P

Given this is moltenchannels, I would imagine 'Painful, on fire and covered in bees' to pretty much cover it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sums up where I left it, except for the 'On fire' bit. For some reason.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will take the next turn then if it's ok. Udib is not really familiar with the current fort layout, having been busy studying in his room, so hopefully he wouldn't pull the wrong levers.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Udib strolled back to the fortress, after a brief excursion outside to gather some blood and herbs from the battlefield. The mirthful trees had been sprouting and regrowing in odd shapes from the charred and mutilated trunks -- all looking a bit off, like wondering what could have happened to them.

Udib wasn't the kind to go for a nature-appreciating trek, but the fortress had become obnoxious to him, with all the work and going back and forth unrelated to the threat that brought them there in the first place. What was up with all the children, even. Were the dwarves having just too much free time?

That was probably going to end sooner than later, he thought, as he walked back across the haphazard arches. Few were paying attention to the curse intensifying under their feet, keeping wanderers away from the land and threatening to slowly weaken their numbers. The time to act was now or never. Perhaps having a look at what was lurking in the deep shadows would bring them back to their senses.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frankly, I'm not sure at this point there are wrong levers. Or if there are, that it's possible to find them.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frankly, I'm not sure at this point there are wrong levers. Or if there are, that it's possible to find them.

Avoid the Shroud of Armok for now....I think it's been modified and old controls may not work.

The main drawbridge levers are all on the surface, in a room in the center of the original courtyard. There's also the controls for the crusher-bridges. They should still be labelled with notes.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Udib found the fortress in a bit of a disarray. It was mid summer and nobody seemed to be working seriously on anything in particular -- mostly carrying on slowly with decade-old projects, out of habit, and otherwise laying around in rags boozed and stuffed. That was practically the only standing order: brew more stuff!

He made his way to the old meetings hall to have a few words with the overseer -- carefully checking first the opening in the ceiling and the drain for any other extraneous cascade dwellers. Lo and behold, the overseer was completely passed out on his chair, drooling in front of a pile of half eaten dishes.

"What's going on?", asked Udib.

"Nothing", replied Zuglar Speechbolts the Engraver, passing by covered in stone dust. "He's been like this for the last month. You won't get more than a few words out of him."

"Where is the mayor?"

"Last I saw him we was entertaining himself with some stoneworking."

Urist the Grey III was indeed busy ecstatically carving stones and handing them to Urist McKiwi IV.

"This fortress can't fall into anarchy. We must elect a new administrator."

"We have a mayor and a king, everything will be alright."

"Our soldiers think an axe is a fancy kitchen knife!"

"Well, talk to the king. That's what we have a king for now, anyway."

Young King CaptainArchmage III was running through the corridors, grumbling and stomping his feet. At his 23 years of age, he was clumsy, weak and had little skills, as one would expect of such high nobility rank, yet he had seen himself having to do a lot of work on his own. His clothes were unroyally falling apart, he had dinner on some filthy table, his room was rather substandard and he was extremely tired and thirsty.

"Majesty, wait! I have to talk with you!"

"Leave me alone, monk weirdo! I hate you! I hate this place!"

"We need you to appoint a new administrator! Our current one is... unfit for the position."

"You are the bookkeeper. You can keep an eye on those things. Can you make them do more stuff for me?"

"I... certainly I could, my majesty."

"Great! You are appointed to that whatever position! Now go and do it! I command you as your king!"

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Udib knew that when the time came, like in Ardentdikes, he only would be able to trust on a few dwarves. So before anything else, he gathered some of the folks he knew better in a remote room.

"You all understand the purpose of Moltenchannels", said Udib, pointing to the book of Ardentdikes. "I'm not asking you to be in the front line of the fortress when it faces its fate, nor to wear heavy armoring, which may raise suspicion, but I need you to be prepared to defend our knowledge."

In case they didn't make it, Udib ordered Moltenchannels' art to be reworked so anyone venturing there, even from a strange race and in a distant future, would understand it wasn't an ordinary abandoned fortress.

Udib knew he couldn't ask much regarding construction work, and he still remembered how Ardentdikes' ambitious temple was never finished before the seal was broken, so he distributed a few simple orders in hope the dwarves would be able to fulfill them, namely:

* Setting up an iron wall seal for the extensive -- and largely unfinished -- royal chambers, and store some food there.
* Build a tiny Armok temple near the surface.   
* Make lots of mechanisms, and put some of the spare weapons to use.
* And, finally, a small staircase rising up from the depths of the fortress to peek at the mistery lizardmen lake:

For good measure, he also asked for extra coffins to be carved. Not only some corpses were still laying around, but he knew well there would never be enough of them.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:50:42 am by Wastedlabor »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unsightly beasts kept congregating and crawling in the depths of the fortress:

The squads rushed to the yard in front of the old cascade hall, just in case they found a hole in the defenses, but they were nowhere to be seen near the narrow slits the soldiers used to peek into the caverns.

The fierce battle between the fire beast and an a shrieking elf zombie kept going on, often making the dwarves forget what they were doing just a little earlier. And Wami the towering three eyed mayfly crashed onto the ancient lizardmen camp shore, right where Udib planned to look at the mistery lake. No trace of what made it fall was found. Maybe it was a bad omen.

Udib's Cultists started to pull some strings. Lucky, Urist McBadass' husband, was still chained in the aboveground fortress for an unlisted murder -- the captain of the guard had been replaced since, and the cultists quickly organized Lucky's release. Next, it was time to do something about the rise of superstitions and random cults and beliefs that had cropped up while Udib was busy.

"Why are all these items thrown around?", asked Udib. "Can't someone pick them up?"

"They are forbidden. Nobody wants to touch them", replied Lucky, still sore from his imprisonment.

"Forbidden? Why?"

"Nobody knows. Some dwarf thought there was something wrong with them, then it snowballed from there... everybody is scared, even if they pretend not to be. There's also corpses scattered everywhere, even on their beds... They don't want to take them away in case the curse transfers to them."

"Well, we are picking them all up. No beliefs other than Armok and the fear of McDuck shall be practiced."

It didn't take long before the king started throw a tantrum -- apparently not even the mayor was paying him any attention anymore.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:55:14 pm by Wastedlabor »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So our king is slowly going insane, and we've gained a cult. Fantastic!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And we have 16 forgotten beasts and a number of flaming undead living la vida loca in the caverns.

As a side note, here's a picture of our mayor, Urist "the Grey". He finally decided to meet with one of the two human diplomats that were still wandering the fortress.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:46:55 am by Wastedlabor »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 100