Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385704 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate to say it, but we could reactivate McUrist's General Hospital as a temporary measure. If the new place is infected with FB syndrome (which is what that sounds like) then it's probably the safest place for the wounded (that's not a good thing, though). Dwarven breeding colony is also looking like a good idea now as well.....if anyone's alive when I take power I'll see if I can find a good IC way to get one built.

And I'm guessing I'm dead again, so roll up Urist McKiwi VI if that's the case. And stop killing them off so quickly! That's my job!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Actually I think Urist McKiwi and Wastedlabor are still okay. For now.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I meant to say #4, but if three can be 'cleansed' that would be acceptable. Presuming the doors are magma safe...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moltenchannels in a nutshell, Part 1: A recap of our first 10 years*:

(Note: This is entirely in my own words, and does not reflect the intentions of people during their turns necessarily.)

Year 1: "What a nice peaceful place. Let's turn it into the hellish bloodstained seal keeping in an interdimensionally-imprisoned dwarf from Ardentdikes. This can hardly go wrong at all." (Massively paraphrased). Walls set up, beginning of magmaworks..um....begun.
Year 2: The new overseer expands the fledgling fortress, accidentally incinerates his wife, and robs our first caravan.
Year 3: A terrifying figure of death, AKA our head nurse, takes over, builds a hospital (later to become the first of our many Hospitals of Death). Magma moat is dug, first diplomat hideously maimed.
Year 4: Siege repelled by Urist Mcbadass, Sealspines the Skewered Basis of Beards (Best. Name. Ever.). Undead arrive. Undead kill Urist Mcbadass, Sealspines the Skewered Basis of Beards. Undead repelled. More undead arrive. Massive siege arrives. Goblins and undead fight. Undead win. Goblin army rises from the dead as more undead. Another siege arrives, massively reduces undead and drives away necromancers. First FB. Final goblin seige arrives, wipes out undead, surrounds fortress.
Year 5: Military formed and organised. First mass grave dug. Totally Safe and Not at All Dangerous waterfall system established for our tiny main dining hall. I get dorfed for the first time. More FBs arrive. Food stockpiles re-established after being devastated by the previous few years. Moat fixed so that it actually stopped enemies. Main storage areas set up and organised.
Year 6: Tower, giant tomb, massive farms set up. Overseer goes insane due to technical problems.
Year 7: Corpse disposal railway built in pragmatic attempt to clear the mountains of dead things. Adamantine discovered. Moat modified, first reactor built, first of many, many, many forest fires.
Year 8: DuckThatQuacks (original creator of our Big Bad, Urist McDuck) takes over. Builds sniper tower with no floors. Allows McDuck to escape Ardentdikes and start heading for us (very slowly, apparently). Sets up (via his dorf, McDonald) McUrist's Family Restaurants, appoints himself Baron. Forgotten beast smashes through our wonderfully insecure cavern compound and wipes out recruits. I discover I got myself killed by a vampire a while back.
Year 9: First massive set of updates by CaptainArchmage. Reactor finished and activated. Our infamous physics oddities mean the standard designs don't work and need modifications. Lots of cleaning up. More stuff probably happened, but it'd take all day for me to read this stuff (I'll edit it in later). Shroud of Armok (our main magma weapon) constructed. Probably causes a forest fire as well.
Year 10: More mass graves. At this point we're apparently surrounded by zombies. Again. Military is revamped again into new squads, some of which last a full 10 years. 5 necromancers turn up. Siege weapons set up. First *deliberate* forest fire.
 The first decade ends with most zombies dead, the necromancers gone, and everyone more or less happy. Suffice to say, this did not last.

*I was going to do all 20.5 years, but It was taking For. Freaking. Ever. I'll do the rest later.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:28:46 pm by Urist McKiwi »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame

Hilarious that this is still alive 15+ turns after mine!! Its been a good read guys, thanks!
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moltenchannels in a nutshell, Part 2: Years 11-15

Year 11: I take on the fort having never handled more than 50 dwarves at once before, and decide to work out the intuitive and user-friendly experience that is the military system. After a crash means I have to retcon part of my turn I end up mining candy, building siege weapons, and building 30-50 new weapons traps because BUZZSAWS. Operation "Wall up the caverns" started (Note: This still isn't finished, as of a decade later). My second incarnation ends her term as overseer by legging it with a load of stolen candy and running off to become a necromancer. From memory, about 2-3 forest fires this year. Giant worm with wings crawls up the drain of the Totally Safe Waterfall. Operation "You know what we need? More Useless Nobles. Let's spam gold and become the capital!" begins. Creation of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf. She's very dashing. I also fix the magma moat so it doesn't have massive gaps in it.

Year 12: Cognitive Dissonance comes in to find half the map on fire. This later becomes a recurring theme. Tower construction continued. Urist McDonald dies and is not redorfed (we should probably do that some time, eh?). Turns out he accidentally got the wrong save and retconned Triaxx2's turn (which also murdered McDonald). Apart from this and all the deaths and stuff, things go fairly well.

Year 13: CaptainArchmage takes forever, but has a rather excellent turn. Goblin ambush gets chopped up. Our royals finally arrive! The queen is a vampire with nearly 40,000 kills. Demonic fortress detected through minor cheating magic. Poisonous FB meat ends up in the rations (we should really get rid of that stuff some day). Forest catches fire. Again. More walling off of FB blood to stop other deaths. Toxic blood discovered in the main hospital, which explains all the random dying over the last few years. Turns out our hospital is waist-deep in vomit and blood. Who woulda thought? Hospital permanently sealed.

Year 14: Nurse Cutey once again terrorises the fortress with !!Medicine!!, and continues work on the towers. Sporadic updates make this turn hard to recap but when I took over the next year the caverns were full of corpses, we had undead, FBs and undead FBs fighting each other under a layer of obsidian in the caverns while permanently burning, and all that was left of our queen was one of her toes. And our king had vanished into thin air, without even a death notice. Make of that what you will.

Year 15: Most Dashing soldier Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf, becomes overseer and sets about reforming the military. Fortress population peaks at ~185-188 dwarves. Numerous sieges, forest fires, FBs and other fun incidents drop population down to 165 by the end of the year, with births. Somewhere at about this point (plus or minus a few years) migrants stop coming to Moltenchannels because of the game crumbling under the weight of the fort. Floors added to McDonald's tower in the northeast. Urist McDuck starts possessing emus. Second hospital established as an extension of a McUrist's. Fortress is nearly overrun by enemies ~4-5 times, but despite high casualties we hold out. Most dashingly.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:39:59 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Our former vampire queen really doesn't get the credit she deserves. 40,000 kills, and still she got chewed by Moltenchannels (and at least we got some leftover, unlike the next king).
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Our former vampire queen really doesn't get the credit she deserves. 40,000 kills, and still she got chewed by Moltenchannels (and at least we got some leftover, unlike the next king).

Oh, I forgot about that. Edited the recap to add our king vanishing. For the first time.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

I've finished my year and made a lot of images. Full update coming soon, when it's not half 4 in the morning. Things were looking up until about three days before the end of the year. I'll tell you all why there's only 30 dwarves left out of the 125 I started with...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've finished my year and made a lot of images. Full update coming soon, when it's not half 4 in the morning. Things were looking up until about three days before the end of the year. I'll tell you all why there's only 30 dwarves left out of the 125 I started with...

Um......at our previous demographics, that means I've got maybe 5, maybe 10 functional adults to work with for my turn....

With no migrants. Ever.

Hmm. Quick poll of everyone: Depending on how dire it is, how do people feel about my turning my turn into a reclaim? I can either do that, or I can roleplay us into a failure mode (IE. McDuck escapes and we move on to Ardentdikes III). I'd prefer the former, as I've never done a reclaim before and DF2014 is unstable enough that I'm a bit wary about moving on to it. I can write up either of them (Already got plans for Urist McKiwi VI/VII on a reclaim, and a failure mode will be fun enough to write up).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:51:20 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My vote is to take as a challenge to burrow and seal any named dwarves left into the little temple, activate the levers at hand, then abandon.

Then once a successful reclaim is made, a bunch of migrants can be the temple survivors, which dug their way out of their shelter, and they get redorfed.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My vote is to take as a challenge to burrow and seal any named dwarves left into the little temple, activate the levers at hand, then abandon.

Then once a successful reclaim is made, a bunch of migrants can be the temple survivors, which dug their way out of their shelter, and they get redorfed.

Hmm. That might be possible. Failing that they'll seal themselves in a tower, wait until the coast is clear, then "rope down the walls and leg it until the fortress is reclaimed". I reserve the right to do my own characterisation of the Restarting Seven though, at least for the first few months.

And, since I am curious....before abandoning the fort I will designate each and every lever in the fortress to be pulled.

Edit: Also, fair warning: I've got some issues going on right now that may cause me to have a delay before my first update once the save is posted. Annoying crappy IRL stuff, but I should get the critical stuff out of the way reasonably quickly and be able to resume playing. I wouldn't miss this next turn for the world, although it may well end in disaster.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:56:00 am by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Yet another flying beast flew over the wall into the fort and started terrorising the peahens. This one was called Stongun, and was not exactly the smartest of creatures.

Also, after further research, it turns out that I didn't know a titmouse isn't the same thing as a doormouse:

I let it fly around a bit, injuring itself with its own breath attack, before sending the military down to put it out of its misery.

Meanwhile, on the wall Urist The Grey III had started taking potshots at the human invaders. Unfortunately, the shot back. He took an arrow to the hand and was never the same again.

Incensed at another needless loss of life (any kind of injury that means you have to rely on others for a while is a death sentence in Molten Channels), the dwarves tried to lure the invaders to their deaths using the traps.

They peered out the green glass door at the human horsemen who were milling around the entranceway unmolested by traps. All the levers that, according to labels, should have opened the leftmost moat failed to do so and eventually the men wandered off again.

Meanwhile back in the cavern, Mad Meng was frantically trying to stop a gap in the wall as two more foul beasts ran towards him. (Admittedly after the miners opened up a new tunnel to let them in.)

Mad Meng was a dab hand at masonry and he managed to complete the wall while standing so he couldn't see the oncoming beasts. For once, in the entire history of the fort, a plan went completely smoothly.

Upstairs a bed-bound Urist the Grey III had a meeting with someone on the other side of the wall. One assumes he was asking for food and water, but unsurprisingly nobody heard.

Indeed, this was perhaps the last moment of calm before utter catastrophe fell.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed, this was perhaps the last moment of calm before utter catastrophe fell.

I'm aware it's relative to everything else in the turn, but I'm not entirely sure that "our crippled mayor screams for help through a crack in the wall, begging for food and medical care, only to see his only hope of not dying slowly and painfully walk away to go have a drink" constitutes "Calm".

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clearly you sir are unaware of the dwarven societal norm as it pertains to calm. Any situation during which you are not directly under attack or engulfed in flames is quite calm indeed. Any simple matter such as screaming in pain, or undertaking not to die a slow, pain filled death of dehydration as your body sucks water from it's own organs is insufficient to disrupt the slow measured pace of the average dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 100