Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (PS Requests) A map a week keeps the something something-eek.  (Read 1691 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
(PS Requests) A map a week keeps the something something-eek.
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:55:40 pm »

So, I love making maps in Photoshop. Well, maybe love is an overstatement, but I do enjoy it. World and city maps for writing projects that never really get used, dungeon maps for use in D&D games, maps in old brown-yellow-sketchy style, maps in more detailed full colour style. Maps of castles and towers and mines.

But, I'd really like for my maps to actually get used for something. So, this is where you come in.

Demand maps from me! But, to do so, you must fulfill the ancient ritual, the design brief.

What is the map for? If you don't have a reason besides 'I want to see a cool map, you may as well let someone else get their request in and just watch.
What style are you going for?
What does it have to have?
What should it never have?
If it's a world map, do I need to mark major city cites and nation borders?
If it's a city map, what style of city? European-style windy streets and haphazard expansion or American straight roads and blocks of buildings.
If a dungeon, what sort? Cavern, tomb, prison?

With all these things, and anything else you can think of, be specific. Do not just say 'whatever you feel like' or I will probably ignore your request.

Now, I'm looking to do one map a week, as the title hints at, but I reserve the right to take longer if the request is for a large city or a similarly fiddly project.

And lastly, if I get enough requests, I'll put it up to public vote as to which gets my attention first, though I may veto this if I feel like it.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: (PS Requests) A map a week keeps the something something-eek.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »

...keeps a trim physique?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:53:43 pm »

I'd suggest something, but I have nothing which requires a map at the mom...wait, there's that.

Something for a forum game I'm working on. Sort of an arena/dungeon combination. It should be sort of an old and run-down place, sealed off from the outside world yet ideally capable of sustaining life. The map should look like an old site map, sorta like something you'd see at the mall, but with less detail and some parts completely missing. The place should function as an interesting place to live, an exciting place to battle, and mix genres some. Finally, you should be willing for me to make alterations as I see fit.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:19 pm »

Hee hee, okay.  I'm working on a RPG maker game, and it would be nice to show a map of the known world during some cutscenes, along with the countries.

The landmass is a large island, with four countries on it.

To the northwest is Latland.  Its a medieval/renaissance level country with a variety of climates, but mostly forests and plains.  Cities and people in Latland tend to have short names, usually no more than 2 syllables.

To the northeast is Kavalon.  Its a high tech(laser guns and simple robots) country, and has a more rugged and mountain filled landscape than Latland.

To the southwest is Karnas.  Its more of a tribal, jungle & desert area.  Its filled with mystery and dark magics.

To the southeast is the Royal Anton Empire.  Its a steampunk/victorian sort of empire.  It needs to share a border with Kavalon, as they will be at war at some point.

Karnas and RAE are both large countries, while Kavalon and Latland are smaller.  There is a castle in southeastern part Latland called Foglight castle.

----

Other than those details feel free to put in as much or as little detail as you like!  I'll use it regardless, because I'm hopeless at art, and I put map making in the art category.  :) 

Oh, one other restriction actually.  RPG maker runs at a low resolution, so ideally it would be maximum 500x400 in size.  I'm not sure how much room that would give for details.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:06:37 am »

I'd suggest something, but I have nothing which requires a map at the mom...wait, there's that.

Something for a forum game I'm working on. Sort of an arena/dungeon combination. It should be sort of an old and run-down place, sealed off from the outside world yet ideally capable of sustaining life. The map should look like an old site map, sorta like something you'd see at the mall, but with less detail and some parts completely missing. The place should function as an interesting place to live, an exciting place to battle, and mix genres some. Finally, you should be willing for me to make alterations as I see fit.

Sounds like this game is based off DF.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29:46 am »

Excellent, requests!

I'll be picking which one I work on later today, and will try to post daily updates as it progresses, before hopefully having a finished product by next Sunday.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:53:17 am »

I might use you at a later point then. If we ever get a substantial amount of works in The Great Journey I think it'd be pretty cool if we were to have a map connecting it all together in some way. This won't be anytime soon I think so you go on your merry way of keeping whatever needs to kept away, and I'll be watching you closely for the time being.

Very closely.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:51:13 am »

Well, things happened today so I haven't had much time to work on it, but I'm going to start working on Levi's request first. Her majesty the Queen chose it for me (I flipped a coin).

A couple of questions toward Levi, though:

How large are we talking? How many people/things need to be able to survive in this vault/gated community? Does it need to be secured and defensible?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 11:22:43 am »

Well, things happened today so I haven't had much time to work on it, but I'm going to start working on Levi's request first. Her majesty the Queen chose it for me (I flipped a coin).

A couple of questions toward Levi, though:

How large are we talking? How many people/things need to be able to survive in this vault/gated community? Does it need to be secured and defensible?

The whole island is a fairly large continent(maybe the half the size of africa?).  As far as the 4 countries on the island know(and as far as I've planned), there is nothing else past the ocean but more ocean, so they don't secure against outside threats.  The four countries have been at war with each other many times in the past, so they probably do have some defenses against each other.  There is trade though, so they aren't completely cut off from each other.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 06:36:01 am »

(I think he meant GWG on the second question.)

Anyway. I have a request for a jungle city for a DnD game I'm running. It's supposed to be used (among other uses) as tactical map/playing board during a siege, so a fair bit of surrounding terrain would be welcome. The city is built in a jungle, on a river bank (river runs east of the city). The river is the border between human and elven country, the city is on human side, there's a large bridge from inside the city to the elven side. The bridge also serves as harbor, it is hollow and has storage rooms and offices inside, and there are loading platforms on the pillars. There are gatehouses on both sides of the bridge.
On the elven side of the water is an elven trade outpost.
The city has a rather thick wall with 3 gatehouses, including the one on the bridge. The other 2 are north and south, along the river, and a road runs along the banks north and south from the river. The oldest and most important buildings are Aztec in style, the others are medieval, so is the city wall. The wall should also have several (6 or so) guard towers. And there should be a castle somewhere, medieval style.
A map showing main roads and the several districts should be more than enough. There should be at least a temple, market (near the bridge), (poor) elven, and noble district, and slums, part of the latter should be outside the walls.
Thanks in advance, and no hard feelings if you don't want to do this :)

As for style, would it be possible to add just a bit of color to a parchment-style map? Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:41:54 am by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 06:44:23 am »

You are a God-sent.
I'm in need of a Dungeons and Dragons map.
What is the map for? Dungeons and Dragons map
What style are you going for? Something parchment-like in the sorts of those for the Lord of the Ring.
What does it have to have? A desert area in the lower right corner filled with rock formations, a C shape island in the middle left side, a north-western luscious jungle that gradually descends into forest and then plains, and various mountains with a single taller than the others ones in the lower right corner.
What should it never have? Go free.
If it's a world map, do I need to mark major city cites and nation borders? No, the borders should be pretty much defined by the change in geography.

Thanks if you ever get to doing it!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 07:31:52 pm »

(I think he meant GWG on the second question.)
Ah.

I dunno, maybe a dozen?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.