Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: You are a Gladiator: Now with RPG mechanics!  (Read 18182 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
You are a Gladiator: Now with RPG mechanics!
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:15:16 pm »

You are a Gladiator in Ancient Rome. Well, almost.

You awaken in a wooden cage on a cart, pulled by horses. Dozens of other barely clothed people of various races and crammed into the cage with you, forcing you to stand. Outside the cage, around a dozen soldiers in armor with swords, spears, and large tower shields form a cordone around the cage. As you absorb this information, the cart pulls up to a wall with a gate. The gate swings open, and the cart-driver drives the cart into the walled compound before you.
Inside, you are roughly taken from inside the cage, and formed into a line with the other prisoners. Guards stand close enough to strike but far enough to prevent any prisoner from trying something stupid. A man comes forward from the magnificient mansion that dominates the compound, clothed in the finest toga you've ever seen. He discusses something with the cart driver, who waves at the crowd of prisoners.
The well-dressed man walks up and down the line of prisoners, examining each person closely, in turn.
When he gets to you, he asks, "Who are you? Where are you from? What was your profession?" As he probes you teeth with his fingers and examines you critically.

What is your name?
Where are you from?
What was your former profession?

Notes: Standard RTD rules apply. Post an action for your character, as the situation requires. I'm hoping we take this at least semi-serious. Please put non-actions in ((parentheses, so I know they aren't game-relevant)). I would prefer if you bolded action posts, to make them easier to pick out.
This is my first RTD, so if I'm horribly messing it up, kindly PM me with any suggestions. :)
I am willing to let seven people have characters for now, until I realize that's too many or too few. Please post your sheets as the above format, answering those three questions. We'll get to inventories and such in a little while.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:44:26 am by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Gladiator
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:49:07 pm »

Name: "Twelve Turkey" (based on the name of a real Mayan king) Rhame. That's an Egyptian-sounding name, right?
Origin: Yucatan. I got really lost. Egypt
Former Profession: Mason

"[I don't understand what you're saying.]"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:04:46 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:38 pm »

I'm hoping we take this at least semi-serious.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:53:06 pm »

>.>

That said, I'm relatively flexible.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:01:35 pm »

First RTD, eh?

Well, time to support the newbie :P Good luck Hanslanda, I know you'd do well.

Beware: This player Roleplays.

Name: Kora Alarai
Origin: Asia.
Profession: Medicae//Caretaker

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:03:49 pm »

Why do I always miss silly little lines like that that happen to answer just the questions I have?

Changing character sheet.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 11:05:19 pm »

Why do I always miss silly little lines like that that happen to answer just the questions I have?

Changing character sheet.

Because you're awesome like that.

Also, I've realized I might oughta let each of you have a character. o.O I shall amend this forthwith.
He's fucking with us.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:22 pm »

What is your name? Adnalsnah et Emosewa Spurius Ovidius Sophus
Where are you from? Italy
What was your former profession? Mediterranean Pirate
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:37:16 pm »

As we get more people, I'll add them in. We're going to end up with inventories, and probably a skill set, with bonuses and negatives to combat from your fighting style. I don't think the inventories will be much of an issue. Combat will be determined by opposed rolls. I'll try to keep things simple for my sake, but any issues, just point them out to me and we'll figure something out.

The Magister nods thoughtfully, and returns to speak to the cart-driver, who, in retrospect, is probably a slave trader. You all are taken from the line by a set of guards that weren't part of the ones guarding the carriage, and shown into a series of cells beneath the mansion.
There are several other individuals in the cells, but no more then ten or so. They are all toned, muscular, and scarred. They eye you from their cells inquisitively, but otherwise don't attempt to interact with you. You decide to sleep, and do so on the sparse cot provided in each cell.

The next morning, you are fed a wholesome but tasteless meal, and led into the courtyard with the other slaves. The Magister stands on a balcony above you all as the guards form you into a line. The Magister speaks, "I am Magister Flavius Octanius Meridius. You may call me Master or Master Meridius. I am now you're owner. Do not fret, for you are to be treated well. You are to become my gladiators, and as such, you will be trained, provided for, equipped, and treated as a prize possession. You will fight for me, and for the enjoyment of Rome, or you will die an ignomious death. If you fight hard enough, well enough, you may earn your freedom, and citizenship under Rome. If you fail, you will die. Training begins this day." With that, he turns and enters his mansion once more.
The man in charge of training approaches, wielding a whip and wearing light leather armor. He says, "I am your Doctore. You will do as commanded, or you will be punished severely. Today, training begins. The other gladiators know what to do. For those of you who do not, we will tolerate mistakes today, but no other day. Choose your weapons." He gestures with the whip to a rack of training weaponry made of wood, along with shields of various sizes.

What armaments do you choose?
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:49:25 pm »

"[Hello. I still don't understand any of you. Are those for us?]"

Reach cautiously for a hammer. If this is allowed, reach even more cautiously for a shield.

"[Are we going to battle? We may need better weaponry than this.]"
Sig

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 11:52:17 pm »

To your surprise, the Doctore approaches you, Rhame, and says in flawless Egyptian, "[You are to select a weapon. You will be training. There will be sparring, but no battle yet this day. If you require an interpreter, simply ask for me, or speak at them until they get the hint. Several of us here speak Egyptian. If you are unsure what to do, and a guard is yelling at you, sit down on your hands.]"
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 11:54:19 pm »

I should have expected that. Ah well.

"[Certainly. Thank you.]"

Grab a hammer and a shield. Or the hammeriest weapon there is and a shield.
Sig

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 12:01:45 am »

Player: GWG
Name:  Rhame.
Origin:  Egypt
Former Profession: Mason
Inventory:
Hammer (+1 to attack, -1 to speed)
Shield (+1 defensive rolls)
Skills:
Attack- +1
Defense- +1
Speed- -1
Cunning- N/A

The breakdown: Attack is obvious. Bonuses make you do more damage. Negatives make you do less. Defense is also obvious. Bonuses help you avoid damage. Negatives turn you into a swordmagnet. Speed is how fast you strike. A high speed means you can possibly get in multiple attacks. Cunning indicates how tricky, skillful, or well-trained you are. A high cunning means that you will be able to perform special moves, of a sort. Tripping, disarming, etcetera. A low cunning means special moves will work better against you. 

Also, depending on your former profession, I may or may not grant you special bonuses in certain situations. If someone is bleeding profusely, Tiruin may be able to perform first aid more effectively, for example.

Tutorial mode, disengaged.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:05:01 am by Hanslanda »
He's fucking with us.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 12:11:36 am »

(I want in!)

Name: Ceruleaus
Origin: Herculaneum
Profession: Blacksmith

Find the biggest hammer I can find.  Look threatening.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Gladiator: A non-minimal RTD, with Characters!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 12:19:54 am »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13