Finally... > Creative Projects

Iron Testament - an ancient "open world roguelike" (pre-alpha)

(1/63) > >>

Clownmite:
Iron Testament is the working title for a game I've been working on for some time. In a nutshell, it aims to be one of the new breed of open-world roguelikes like DF adventure mode, Cult, or Ultima Ratio Regum, with some elements from Crusader Kings and Civilization thrown in.

Planned Features:
Open and active procedurally-generated world set in ancient times, with some rare mythological elements
Real economy that reacts to the current state of the world
Internal and external politics and plots; governments and laws
Ability to play as an adventurer, governor, or head of state
Easily mod-able

The current state of the game is pre-alpha. Work continues in my free time. Currently implemented major features are: a world map generator, city generator, language generator, and emergent economy that appears to sustain itself for at least a few in-game years.

I'm aiming to create a world that's active and have all sorts of things going on whether you're there to witness it or not. It bugs me in many open world games when nothing changes and you're the only character who really does anything, when the world "waits" for you.

(Very early, WIP) Screenshots:

Spoiler: Older screenshots (click to show/hide)

Mictlantecuhtli:
Holy jesus, where did you come from with this! This look like a good endeavor, best of luck friend. [Basically, PTW]

Killjoy:
Hey very cool project. I like your idea with buildings of interest. Have you created a character for every entity in the city population? Or just one for every important figure (The mayor etc)?

We are actually doing very similar things. Check out my project in my signature if you are interested, we could have a talk or something.

MonkeyHead:
PTW with anticipation. So, are you intending this to be scaleable (as in, playable from individual up to nation level and at steps in between), or fixed to the acts of an individual?

Clownmite:
Hey guys, thanks for the interest!

--- Quote from: Killjoy on January 13, 2013, 05:58:32 am ---Hey very cool project. I like your idea with buildings of interest. Have you created a character for every entity in the city population? Or just one for every important figure (The mayor etc)?
--- End quote ---

I'm writing this in Python so I need to be very wary of processing limitations. Right now the plan is to have important figures fleshed out and "active" in the world, while others are generated when you interact with them, more or less. There will be a bunch of cities, each with prominent figures who have motivations, so I need to limit exactly how much can go on.

One thing I'm particularly excited for is the economy - each city has a number of "agents" who require certain goods to create others (i.e. a metalsmith needs iron, food, and wood [for the fire] to work, and will produce tools). Each of these agents has money, pays taxes, and has a certain belief about the current price of goods. In a round of simulation, all participants in the economy make bids for what they need, and offers for what they sell, and adjust their beliefs about price accordingly. Each of these agents are real people in the city, so by assassinating a rival agent you may gain a monopoly on a market or just plain wreak havok on current prices.

Your project sounds great, I will definitely check it out!

--- Quote from: MonkeyHead on January 13, 2013, 06:06:33 am ---PTW with anticipation. So, are you intending this to be scaleable (as in, playable from individual up to nation level and at steps in between), or fixed to the acts of an individual?
--- End quote ---

Right now, the idea is that it will always be played from the point view of an individual, even if you are head of state. That can possibly get boring, since you'd be required to stay in one city and govern/make laws for much of a year, so I'll have to see what that feels like when I get to it. I do plan to have a bunch of law choices, ranging from who can become a citizen, legality of certain products, punishments for crimes, and tax rates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version