Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Iron Testament - an ancient "open world roguelike" (pre-alpha)  (Read 77973 times)

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Testament - an ancient "open world roguelike" (pre-alpha)
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »

Gamasutra - Designing AI Algorithms For Turn-Based Strategy Games -- Should help a little.

GameDev - Turn Based Strategy AI -- The two links in the OP are from a dev log with some example code to read through. A little brute-force-y in the approach though.

Just a cursory search for stuff, but hopefully it gets you started well :)

You can do timed functions for some things; movement and immediate tactics would need to be checked every turn, but higher level planning like checking garrisons and telling the place to raise one if necessary would be lower priority and have longer between checks, or escalated to a higher priority if something happens to demand its immediate attention (eg. Enemy unit spotted nearby)

Thanks for the link, those with code is helpful. Code structure for AI is what's giving me headaches. I feel like it's not optimally structured at all which makes me less excited about writing it.

I'm really liking the new screens. No real indication of what the UI will look like though. Is there any of that implemented thus far?

It's not too far along. It's already mouse-driven though. The right panel gives you information about things you mouseover, and the bottom panel displays any relevant messages. There's also a few screens showing city government and economic info. But it will definitely be updated with buttons and things as time goes on.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2013, 09:17:38 pm »

Code structure for AI is what's giving me headaches. I feel like it's not optimally structured at all which makes me less excited about writing it.

This, so much of this. How are you approaching it? So far I've been doing states, but not sure how that will work when more complex behaviour comes into play.

Also following this thread has been really useful for finding really helpful and interesting articles! People are so useful :)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2013, 08:36:32 pm »

Any exciting dev news to regale us with?

EDIT: Also, you're so good at keeping up with questions and responding to them which i think is quite awesome.

EDIT2: As an addendum to that, here's another question: on the previous screenshots we could see caravans on the overworld map. I remember you mentioning in an earlier post that one of the main things needed is to make the caravans work properly. Is that done now? How fleshed out will the caravan system be? Could we turn bandit and hit caravans passing between cities, or could we (as king) attempt to disrupt the enemy's supply lines by raiding caravans coming into their cities?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:46:08 pm by Glloyd »

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2013, 11:43:03 pm »

This, so much of this. How are you approaching it?

Code: [Select]
def take_turn(self):
#avg_food = self.city.unique_warehouse['food'].in_history
#ores = sum(self.city.warehouse_types['ores'].values())
target_city = self.check_for_war()
if target_city != None:
                      pass

That is the extent of my government AI so far. It literally does nothing. I obviously have not put much work into it. The reason being, I started to write a class for wars but then had no idea how to implement it.

Any exciting dev news to regale us with?

Not much. I'm having a really hard time thinking of how to implement wars. My first thought was to have them be a function of governments, but then you have things like succession crises or adventurers recruiting armies of mercenaries, so I guess it will have to be a function of historical figures. Still thinking though. In other news, I stripped down the government/civilization system so it's now much more flat. There are cities which are governed by governments, and one government will be able to, through force or diplomacy, cause another city to declare their allegiance to their city. Blocks of cities will be able to form into civilizations this way, although there will be nothing too concrete holding them together.

EDIT: Also, you're so good at keeping up with questions and responding to them which i think is quite awesome.

Thanks. I'm just surprised and humbled that so many people are interested in my amateur coding project. Having to formulate answers to questions has forced me to think a little more concretely about the way things will work, so it's helpful for me, too.

EDIT2: As an addendum to that, here's another question: on the previous screenshots we could see caravans on the overworld map. I remember you mentioning in an earlier post that one of the main things needed is to make the caravans work properly. Is that done now? How fleshed out will the caravan system be? Could we turn bandit and hit caravans passing between cities, or could we (as king) attempt to disrupt the enemy's supply lines by raiding caravans coming into their cities?

Well, they work properly in that they buy goods from one city and bring them to another city to sell. If you destroy the caravan, the goods won't get to the city, and the prices of those goods will probably go up (or another competing merchant will be very happy). That's all in the game right now. And once I figure out this army/war stuff, I'm planning on adding bandits along caravan routes, and adventurers or government detachments that try to wipe them out.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2013, 12:22:47 am »

Not much. I'm having a really hard time thinking of how to implement wars. My first thought was to have them be a function of governments, but then you have things like succession crises or adventurers recruiting armies of mercenaries, so I guess it will have to be a function of historical figures.

Fair enough. Is there some way in which it could be a function of both? i.e, the government has the ability to declare war on another civ, for their reasons, but wars could also be initiated by extraneous variables through historical figures like you mentioned; succession crises, adventurers, or even civil wars/revolutions.

Thanks. I'm just surprised and humbled that so many people are interested in my amateur coding project. Having to formulate answers to questions has forced me to think a little more concretely about the way things will work, so it's helpful for me, too

Hey, it's a pretty cool project, and it's definitely something that interests me (and something that I'd love to test, *hint hint,* haha). I tried something like this a little while ago and it failed miserably, but now i don't have the time needed to put into it, so I'm glad i can help in whatever way I can.

There are cities which are governed by governments, and one government will be able to, through force or diplomacy, cause another city to declare their allegiance to their city. Blocks of cities will be able to form into civilizations this way, although there will be nothing too concrete holding them together.

So is it going to be a system where the king has general control over their grouping of cities, and a more concrete control over their immediate fief?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2013, 12:32:07 am »

Not much. I'm having a really hard time thinking of how to implement wars. My first thought was to have them be a function of governments, but then you have things like succession crises or adventurers recruiting armies of mercenaries, so I guess it will have to be a function of historical figures.

Fair enough. Is there some way in which it could be a function of both? i.e, the government has the ability to declare war on another civ, for their reasons, but wars could also be initiated by extraneous variables through historical figures like you mentioned; succession crises, adventurers, or even civil wars/revolutions.

Maybe you could also try and abstract the classes even further, and have a generic organization class that includes governments, bandit groups, merchant leagues, religious orders etc. Basically everyone who would be able to wage war. It would probably simplify things, and allow the various leagues, orders and bands to take over and control the different cities. Plus it should then be much easier to resolve civil wars and bandits turning legitimate, and add more flavour to the history.

Mind you I don't know how far you've gone with the government thing, or how easy my idea would be to implement. Just my two cents though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 12:57:51 pm »

Yeah, I'd organize things into groups or factions, and have wars happen at that level. Give factions relationships to one another, including things like Superior/Subordinate relationships. Then it's pretty easy to both organize a kingdom (King is the leader of the faction, each city/noble is subordinate to that faction, and so on) and then do a war of succession where different groups within that kingdom are fighting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »

The faction idea is great, I don't know why I didn't come up with it earlier. I'll have to do some more thinking about how exactly it should work. I don't want to get too bogged down in making it crazy, but I'll need to set up a framework I can expand on later. To start, I'd need factions for the government, bandits, and religions. I guess each should have a leader, other historical figures which belong to it, a goal, and the amount of population it influences.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2013, 01:08:08 am »

Any new word on this game?

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2013, 05:12:10 pm »

I've done a little work with governments, but I've been mostly busy otherwise. It's still a little tricky for me to piece everything together, because this is something I want to get right the first time.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:04 pm »

Fair enough. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

RowanTree

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2013, 04:48:53 pm »

Hello, I've always wanted to play a realistic iron age rogue-like. I've only found 3 games that are non-magic period games: Mount & Blade, Haven and Hearth, and Unreal world. I suggest you check out the later two especially Unreal World for some inspiration. I've actually been keeping an outline of some game ideas just encase I am rich someday. Let me know if I can help. Best of luck to you & Keep us posted!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2013, 11:28:12 pm »

Hey there. Found this, thought it would help, so i'll post the link. It's a collection of essays which address different metallurgical processes in different time periods, and how different metals were used for different weapons in different cultures. Along with other historical concepts. It's worth checking out, even just to glance over.

http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/cowen/~GEL115/

Edit: Any new dev news to regale us with?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2013, 10:48:02 am »

That is a nifty find, Glloyd. I'll have to add it to my reading list.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2013, 01:48:16 pm »

The faction idea is great, I don't know why I didn't come up with it earlier. I'll have to do some more thinking about how exactly it should work. I don't want to get too bogged down in making it crazy, but I'll need to set up a framework I can expand on later. To start, I'd need factions for the government, bandits, and religions. I guess each should have a leader, other historical figures which belong to it, a goal, and the amount of population it influences.

Depending on how it's coded, you could potentially have intra - civilization wars as well, for example, the Knight's Guild could start a 'war' with the Cabal of Cthulu in one town, which affects both factions and the town it occurs in but not the nation itself to a great deal. The government would have the option to intervene if it felt things got out of hand, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21