Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Iron Testament - an ancient "open world roguelike" (pre-alpha)  (Read 77987 times)

Mercur1c

• Bay Watcher
  • Chlorid3
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Testament - an ancient "open world roguelike" (pre-alpha)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 11:09:14 am »

PTW.

May I ask what libraries you are using?

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 11:10:23 am »

This looks great! Will you make it Mac-Compatible?
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »

Ambitious looking project. Very nice looking so far, though! I may have to steal that palette idea for the game I'm working on. The effect is extremely good!
Thanks, I do have some big goals but I'm hoping to keep everything reasonable. Do you have a link to your game anywhere?

May I ask what libraries you are using?
Libtcod is all. Like many others I started with the excellent libtcod python roguelike tutorial.

This looks great! Will you make it Mac-Compatible?
I'm really an amateur programmer so I can't guarantee anything, but I'm pretty sure there are easy ways for me to do this. If worse comes to worse you should just be able to download the source code and run the python file directly, since I plan to make it open source and the libtcod library works cross-platform.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 12:57:51 pm »

Sure. It's over here. Not too far along yet, but I'm happy with the progress I'm making so far.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 01:08:18 pm »

Sure. It's over here. Not too far along yet, but I'm happy with the progress I'm making so far.

Oh cool, I actually saw that one, but didn't realize that was you. Looks pretty similar to my project actually, although it looks like yours will be a bit more traditional roguelike (believe it or not, I have never actually played a roguelike unless you count DF).

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 06:38:40 pm »

PTW! Looks cool so far :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 01:28:33 pm »

Oh cool, I actually saw that one, but didn't realize that was you. Looks pretty similar to my project actually, although it looks like yours will be a bit more traditional roguelike (believe it or not, I have never actually played a roguelike unless you count DF).

Well...not really traditional. Mine is going to be army based rather than individual based, for the most part. So it's sort of a civ-roguelike hybrid. But right now I am going for more of a traditional aesthetic. That could change. We'll see how it all looks as I go along.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 02:14:26 pm »

Well...not really traditional. Mine is going to be army based rather than individual based, for the most part. So it's sort of a civ-roguelike hybrid. But right now I am going for more of a traditional aesthetic. That could change. We'll see how it all looks as I go along.

Well, at least in terms of stats and stuff - your first post mentions standard stats like attack, defense, hp, etc. My combat so far is based on swing speed, item weights, sharpness, tissue layers, etc. I haven't experimented to see how much mine actually makes sense with different weapon types... my guess is not, haha.

Which brings up my next questions - what do you guys enjoy most and least about turn-based roguelike combat? I haven't played any roguelikes or very many RPGs, so I don't have much to base my game off of. I'm interested in keeping the game fun by giving players options, but not too many options so as to become tedious and overwhelming.

In other news, I finally figured out what was causing my economy rewrite to fail - I wasn't giving the world enough clothiers, so the rest of the economy could not buy the clothes they needed and refused to work, meaning that nobody produced any items or offered any items to sell. Now that that's been fixed an economies appear to be functioning at least somewhat correctly, I'm working on getting the nebulous "economy agents" into the game as being actually attached to characters. This can lead to things like a shady blacksmith asking you to take out a rival (which will actually effect the economy!).

Speaking of which, I'm brainstorming ways that economic agents who go broke can be utilized. I can turn some of them into beggars and others into bandits, and I suppose other ones into adventurers or even mercenaries. Any other thoughts?

Finally, I'm hoping to have a system of legal/illegal goods on the black market, depending on what the government has outlawed. Alcohol can be one, I guess, but any ideas on other things? I'm not too sure what drugs or illegal substances were present in ancient societies, although I'm willing to make some up for the sake of interesting gameplay.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 06:02:06 pm »

If an economic agent is broke but is very charismatic they might become ConPersons, variations on the "snake oil salesman" archetype, and try to get people to buy things through misdirection. Maybe after a time of being successful at that, but not too successful that it becomes a better income source than selling proper goods, they save up some of their money and buy back into being a proper economic agent. They might do this by starting a business that is needed, or maybe become a traveling merchant buying goods on the cheap and selling them in other towns.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »

If an economic agent is broke but is very charismatic they might become ConPersons, variations on the "snake oil salesman" archetype, and try to get people to buy things through misdirection. Maybe after a time of being successful at that, but not too successful that it becomes a better income source than selling proper goods, they save up some of their money and buy back into being a proper economic agent. They might do this by starting a business that is needed, or maybe become a traveling merchant buying goods on the cheap and selling them in other towns.

Interesting thought, but I don't think my economy simulates the detail necessary to have a situation like this. Only general item times are tracked ("tools", "pottery", etc) and the prices of more specific goods will be tied to that baseline - so picks, rakes, hammers, that an actual person would be using is tied back to the more abstract "tools" category that is being tracked in the economy. But I guess I could put a few of these guys around and have them pick up "broken" goods and try to sell them to people of the city. I'll have to think about it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33:31 pm »

Illegal goods?

Poison, obviously
Certain magical/alchemal substances, or substances believed to have such properties
And...surprisingly, I've got next to nothing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:35 pm »

I like. PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:41 pm »

This actually looks pretty nice. Can't read the OP as I'm too burned out right now, but I'm PTW.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:56 pm »

Still chugging along. Each of the cities you see below has a system of imports and exports that are now properly tied to the rest of the economy.

Each economic agent has a belief about each of the goods it needs and produces, with a range of uncertainty. You can see a bunch of info about some agents in the shot below. The "Beliefs" column reflects this, where the format is <belief (uncertainty)>. The last column shows the actions the agent took last round of the simulation.

So far, all this work relates to the "free economy." I still need to figure out exactly how governments obtain their goods. If I get around to it, I'd really like to add slavery as an economic option - where the raw resource gatherers are forced to give all of their product up to the economy for free, and the government just has to pay for their food and whatnot.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 12:22:06 am »

Is consumption and the like also modeled?  If I used my dungeoneering profits to divert food away from a town and into my private storehouse, would there be starvation, and would I be able to gouge the good people for essential goods?
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21