Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Iron Testament - an ancient "open world roguelike" (pre-alpha)  (Read 77942 times)

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Testament - an ancient "open world roguelike" (pre-alpha)
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »

Hello, I've always wanted to play a realistic iron age rogue-like. I've only found 3 games that are non-magic period games: Mount & Blade, Haven and Hearth, and Unreal world. I suggest you check out the later two especially Unreal World for some inspiration. I've actually been keeping an outline of some game ideas just encase I am rich someday. Let me know if I can help. Best of luck to you & Keep us posted!

I've heard of all 3, but only played Mount & Blade. The other two had also piqued my interest.

Hey there. Found this, thought it would help, so i'll post the link. It's a collection of essays which address different metallurgical processes in different time periods, and how different metals were used for different weapons in different cultures. Along with other historical concepts. It's worth checking out, even just to glance over.

http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/cowen/~GEL115/

Edit: Any new dev news to regale us with?

Thanks for the link. Not much development has gone on lately since I've been busy with other things.
Depending on how it's coded, you could potentially have intra - civilization wars as well, for example, the Knight's Guild could start a 'war' with the Cabal of Cthulu in one town, which affects both factions and the town it occurs in but not the nation itself to a great deal. The government would have the option to intervene if it felt things got out of hand, of course.

That is exactly the dynamic I'm going for. It should be as tricky to keep your civilization together as it is to invade others.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:50:13 pm by Clownmite »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2013, 06:32:00 pm »

Hello, I've always wanted to play a realistic iron age rogue-like. I've only found 3 games that are non-magic period games: Mount & Blade, Haven and Hearth, and Unreal world. I suggest you check out the later two especially Unreal World for some inspiration. I've actually been keeping an outline of some game ideas just encase I am rich someday. Let me know if I can help. Best of luck to you & Keep us posted!

I've heard of all 3, but only played Mount & Blade. The other two had also piqued my interest.

Well Unreal World is currently free if you want to give it a whirl. I'd definitively say it's worth a look.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2013, 08:39:36 pm »

Cool, I'll take a look at it.

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »

Responding to an old question, in case it's something you feel like adding a few more cases of:
Finally, I'm hoping to have a system of legal/illegal goods on the black market, depending on what the government has outlawed. Alcohol can be one, I guess, but any ideas on other things? I'm not too sure what drugs or illegal substances were present in ancient societies, although I'm willing to make some up for the sake of interesting gameplay.
I'm not sure how much of this is anciently attestable, but perhaps:
- Various sorts of arms and munitions.  The controlling faction might have a technological advantage (e.g. the only bronze swords around) which it wishes to avoid falling into enemy hands.  For that matter, any particular other thing else (food, clothes, ...) of which other factions thought probable near-future enemies are in short supply. 
- Writings which are subversive or against the morals or precepts of the controlling faction (obscene, anti-Communist, ...).  If there's enough literacy for that as a category.  Or non-languagey symbols: a strict-monotheist religion might prevent you selling symbols of other religions' false gods, etc.
- Items proscribed by sumptuary law? i.e. stuff too extravagant for the commoners.
- Stolen goods?
- Items at the wrong price, under a factional price control law.  (ISTR the Romans etc. having had price control laws, but not the details.)
- Things whose manufacture and sale is the legally-blessed preserve of a certain faction: I guess I'm more thinking of a medievalesque guild system here, but who knows, a given faction of e.g. farriers with enough political clout could make anyone else selling a horseshoe illegal.
- Anything, if you don't pay your protection money, capisce?
- State (faction) secrets?  Though that's a whole other mechanics can of worms. 

ETA:
Not too much, but here are a few. Keep in mind these first two are extremely rough. They show the combat view that I currently have. This one shows my wonky combat system in a small scuffle. The gray and cyan in the background is the early work on a city street generator:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ancient cities didn't tend to be planned, and grid-like streets are a feature of planned cities, AFAIK.  If I were you I'd have the city layout generator be accretive, instead: take the principal roads to nearby places, erect a bunch of buildings along them growing outwards, put in some new peripheral roads as seeds governed by where the extant buildings are every once in awhile, etc.  I think someone in FotF (or the suggestions forum?) posted a bunch of good maps illustrating this once, when Toady was doing city maps.  Oh, and add city walls in the accretion process now and then too (e.g. London 1300).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:21:09 pm by finka »

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:07 pm »

Good ideas on the illegal goods. Many of those aren't things abstract enough to fit into the general economy model, at least on the first pass. But I really do want a decent system for legal/illegal goods (and actions) with differences between civilizations.

The Indus Valley civilization was known for having well-planned cities, contemporary with Mesopotamia and China, I think. I actually have a tuning variable that makes the streets much less predictable and haphazard looking which I forgot to enable for those screenshots. I certainly won't be having many cities with that rigid grid look. Although the method I'm using right now might not be the best way to do things, I'll be looking for whatever way gets me decent results. For the early versions, you probably won't be able to walk around cities, it will probably be clicking on some menus for where you want to go.

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2013, 04:37:12 pm »

Any discussion about what you do and don't like in roguelike combat systems is appreciated!

I'm just going to shout recommendations to you in the hope that you will/already have implemented them :D

.Mouse support - Some people hate hot-keys or just can't be bothered memorizing stuff.

.Hot-keys - Glorious hot-keys. I had the hot-keys to Age of Empires I and II down to a tee, being able to build most things within uber small time-frames. That kind of thing is still desirable to me.

.A nice UI - It makes things easier

.Genuinely useful documentation - Written by the author but FOR the players. Not by the author for the author, I hate trying to decipher nondescript manuals  :'(

.Little bits - Concept art (I can't see that playing a huge part in this game but still...), soundtracks, diaries. ALL THE THINGS. I just like seeing the original conception of the idea :D

Anyway, apologies about the ramblings. I'm sure you've already implemented most of these (The game looks much nicer than most roguelikes, especially the mountains *droooool*).

Edit: I've just read that it said roguelike COMBAT SYSTEMS. Still, my opinions stand :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:35:26 pm by professorlamp »
I write music for video games!
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2013, 08:19:23 pm »

Thanks for the responses. Mouse support is already in, as are some basic hotkeys. I want to design a good UI too, but I'm afraid it will probably go the way of DF and have a terrible one until I get some basic features implemented. And since I'm a musician, I want to make music/soundtrack for the game.

But I must stress, this is a hobby project by a very amateur coder. I doubt there will ever be a "finished version" but I hope to eventually have something playable and fun. I'm the type of person just to make things up as I go along, so my main aim posting here was to get a more concrete idea of what I want, and others would want, from this type of game.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2013, 04:35:07 pm »

*poke the thread*

How's this project going? Or is it on the back burner - real life getting in the way? :)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2013, 11:20:59 pm »

ARGHITY BLARG FINALS WHY DO I DISTRACT MYSELF PTW and look at next week. First post looks amazing.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11:34 am »

So is this still active?

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2013, 05:51:27 pm »

Sorry for disappearing, I've done a little work here and there but haven't added any major new things. I thought I'd be able to make a push and release some kind of tech demo before I got busy, but I got caught up in some issues and couldn't make it. Just general business in real life.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2013, 11:35:39 pm »

Ah, the cruel fate most projects seem to meet :c
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:30:40 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2013, 02:03:02 am »

We're rooting for you clownmite!

I want this BAD D:
I write music for video games!
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2013, 02:59:25 am »

I was directed here from the URR thread. Please don't let this die....
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »

Will there be Oculus Rift support in 1.0?
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21