Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Radioactive dust and cancer  (Read 11135 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Radioactive dust and cancer\
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »

Uranium ores and the like tend to contain only trace ammounts of radioactive material, it's why refining it is such a pain. Because of that you could safely breathe in pitchblende without really worrying.
Also, the radiation from uranium is greatly exaggerated.
In general, coal is more dangerous.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.
But I digress.
But how many excessively cute and unrealistic woodland creatures have choked on coal plant smoke ?
More than have died from nuclear plant incidents.
In fact, wildlife is flourishing around Chernobyl. Either there's no threat to wildlife there, or the occasional presence of humans is even more debilitating than whatever's there.
Plus the organisms that have adapted to the radiation.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Radioactive dust and cancer\
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:05:43 pm »

Uranium ores and the like tend to contain only trace ammounts of radioactive material, it's why refining it is such a pain. Because of that you could safely breathe in pitchblende without really worrying.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.
But I digress.
But how many excessively cute and unrealistic woodland creatures have choked on coal plant smoke ?
In fact, wildlife is flourishing around Chernobyl. Either there's no threat to wildlife there, or the occasional presence of humans is even more debilitating than whatever's there.
Maybe a bit, but Chernobyl only went boom in what, 1987? That's about 25 years ago. A few generations isn't enough for deer or whatever do develop any notable amount of radiation resistance.
Besides, that would fall under "the occasional presence of humans is even more debilitating than whatever's there."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Radioactive dust and cancer
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:56 pm »

But I digress.
Maybe a bit, but Chernobyl only went boom in what, 1987? That's about 25 years ago. A few generations isn't enough for deer or whatever do develop any notable amount of radiation resistance.
Besides, that would fall under "the occasional presence of humans is even more debilitating than whatever's there."
I was talking about some of the organisms found close to the reactor e.g. mold/bacteria.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »

But I digress.
I was talking about some of the organisms found close to the reactor e.g. mold/bacteria.
I wasn't.
Yeah, for those that's a big deal. Bigger organisms are flourishing in Chernobyl from the lack of human contact, though. Evidently, no one wants to approach the site of a nuclear meltdown.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:15 am »

I don't mean to be a party pooper gentlemen but those are some huge quote pyramids. Last time I saw ones of that size Toady had to come and clean them up.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:24 am »

On the suggestion: I think this is generally a bad suggestion. It wouldn't really add much to the game. And as people have previously stated, the radiation from radioactive ores is overrated, and dwarves wouldn't be able to operate it anyway.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 11:19:09 am »

I wasn't.
Yeah, for those that's a big deal. Bigger organisms are flourishing in Chernobyl from the lack of human contact, though. Evidently, no one wants to approach the site of a nuclear meltdown.

Just as a note, you can do tours of Chernobyl. There's some dangerous zones, but as long as the concrete reactor housing doesn't collapse everything's fine.
Pages: 1 [2]