Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting parties  (Read 1849 times)

Destyvirago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting parties
« on: January 13, 2013, 07:57:03 am »

Traditionally when hunting people have usually banded together in hunting parties for safety and utility. In the dangerous world of DF I notice my hunters often think its a good idea to run off by them selfs and get killed. 
I'm wondering if there is someway to organize hunters into hunting parties that move together and help carry the catch back together. This could use the military screen and should give you options to either make dedicated hunting team or make a setting called "minimum hunting party size:3" where the number is the minimum size of a hunting party that leaves the settlement. So if you have 5-6 dwarfs that want to hunt they will make their own teams as they get ready. The squad mechanics could use an improvement so that several dwarfs can carry one large animal. Takes a while for 1 dwarf to carry an elephant to the Buchery...

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting parties
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:38 am »

just use your military.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 10:37:21 am »

I almost never use hunters. Axedwarves work about as well, don't use ammo, and typically need the training.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:28:45 am »

I almost never use hunters. Axedwarves work about as well, don't use ammo, and typically need the training.

I assume and hope this won't really work as well anymore after the combat/movement speed split thingy along with different movement speeds gets implemented fully ^^

on topic: Really like the idea too, would also work well along with sending hunters off-map at some point for increased safety etc ^^
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:30:19 am by Manveru Taurënér »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »

I assume and hope this won't really work as well anymore after the combat/movement speed split thingy along with different movement speeds gets implemented fully ^^
Depends. I can't see anyone firing a weapon (whether thrown rock, atlatl, bow, crossbow, musket, or assault rifle) while running with any degree of accuracy.
It's often a bit of a pain, yes, but so is losing a quiver of bolts to a bird which doesn't even get caught. And my military typically needs the training.

on topic: Really like the idea too, would also work well along with sending hunters off-map at some point for increased safety etc ^^
Pretty sure it's planned. Almost forgot to mention.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 02:36:43 pm »

I'd definitely like to see this, Work squads have been discussed elsewhere, but i'd like to point out that hunting big animals is DEFINITELY another good use for that particular mechanic.

I also really support the idea of sending out hunting parties, as it'd serve as a great precursor to sending out military expeditions and the like. Tied closely to hunting groups would also be scouting parties, a few dwarves sent out to search for game, or approaching danger, something else i'd like to see implemented.

MrGhost077

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:40:57 pm »

Hunters are very ineffective especially if the animal can become enraged.

Destyvirago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 01:02:34 am »

Hunters are very ineffective especially if the animal can become enraged.

The idea was that a small group of hunters should walk together  for safety. Lets say a group of 3 hunters, and each have a hunting dog. If they come across something big and nasty they will send the dogs at it to keep it occupied and unload their crossbows into it as fast as possible. The time bought by 3 hunting dogs harassing the prey and the volume of fire from 3 hunters should be able to take down most things they are likely to meet. Ideally the hunters should carry the prey back together for speed so they can start a new trip as soon as possible. 

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 07:33:34 am »

I always had the idea of setting hunting expeditions gathering 3-4 hunters to go out pff the map for about 3 days abd come back with a bunch if corpses or depending on your area they all can go "missing" as its announce hinting somethings coming or that 1 z level drop was a unlucky one but I agree with yours as well since hunters alone are weak

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:22 am »

"Minimum hunting party size: 140"
Full support for this idea, sounds brilliant! How would the civilians order the squad though? An unseen civilian squad perhaps? Why not give soldiers the ability to auto-hunt as an order?