Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.2  (Read 14874 times)

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.2
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:19:57 pm »

Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.2

Description:  This mod allows you to upgrade the leather you harvest, and upgrade it.  All upgrades occur before crafting your armor, and will retain the source of the leather (Goblin, Cow, etc) through the tiers.  Any tier can be crafted into armor.  The hope is that leather armor can start playing a larger part in the lore of your fortress, allowing you to craft leather helms and chest pieces from the hides of your toughest enemies.  Hopefully this also lessens the pain of embarking on an iron-less plain!  All reactions take place at standard buildings, and just adds some new reactions, and tools. Because of the new reactions, you will need to gen a new world.  This mod is intended to be applied over a Vanilla / Vanilla+Tileset install, and may not play nice with any major conversion mods.

Current tiers are as follows:
  • Standard Leather(lvl 1):
    This is the same stuff you have been using all along.  Straight off an animals back, and into the tannery.  Vanilla values have not been altered.

• Padded Leather(lvl 2):
    By combining 2 pieces of lvl 1 leather, and 1 piece of cloth, your dwarves are able to produce a much comfier, and protective material, ready to be formed into armor.  This leather has the material strength of copper.

• Studded Leather (lvl 3):
    By combining 2 pieces of lvl 2 padded leather, and 4 stone or bone armor studs, your dwarves are producing a much tougher hide, capable of taking a beating.  This leather has the material strength of bronze.

• Hard Plate Leather (lvl 4):
    By combining 2 pieces of lvl 3 studded leather, and a barrel of fine dwarven booze, your dwarves will boil the the leather into hardened plates, much stronger than before.  This leather has the material strength of iron.

• Rune Encrusted Leather (lvl 5):
    Your dwarves can use the fresh corpses of your fallen enemies to give power to the ancient runes they carve into 2 pieces of lvl 4 Plate Leather.  This dark art produces 2 pieces of Runic Leather, almost a third stronger than iron armor, and isn't damaged by heat or cold!

In order to make the most of these raws, I added the ability to butcher goblins after attacks.  That way your noble warriors can craft their own armor from the named skin!  Sounds pretty Dwarfy to me!

Installation:
  • Download the zip at: DFFD
  • Extract and overwrite the files at 'Dwarf Fortress Directory\raw\objects'
  • Gen a new world, and enjoy!

Have fun storming the castle!

Big Thanks to Meph for his assistance, and altered raws! Also a big thanks to Deon and smakemupagus for their helpful comments along the way.  Thanks to Saint of DFFD for comments, ideas, and pointing out some misspellings. Thanks to sackhead for his More Leather mod!  Here [/link]

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:15:50 pm by Dragoon209 »
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers - WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:39:41 pm »

Edit:  Also, I heard that gauntlets are broken when made from modded reactions, but I am having trouble determining how.  Can anybody assist?  Are there other armor pieces/other products that are affected like this?

All custom made gauntlets miss the right/left tag. dwarves dont wear them. But you have no problem with this, because you only make materials. If someone takes your "epic studded leather" to the leatherworker and makes gloves, they will work.

If you use the fake creatures you posted you will loose the creature names when you upgrade, because it will be "fake creature leather" (rare leather), instead of "creature name leather" (cat leather).  You can change this by not using fake creatures, but applying other leather template inside the vanilla creatures, and/or vanilla body plans. A bit more work.

You can target specific leather types for an upgrade by using reaction_class on the material templates. If studded leather has reaction_class:hardened studded, and your "upgrade to hardened studded" only accepts a tanned skin with that reaction class, then you are good to go. I use the same system in my mod.

Cant think of anything else right now. Well, you can use up rest-products from the butcher, like horn, hoof and bones for studding of course. It would fit well, since you have to butcher a lot to get enough leather for all this.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »

Horns/Hoof Studding: Great idea!  I'll add those as well.

Creature Materials:  Ahh, I see.  So to add it to the other creatures, would it be suitable to do a Find/Replace on all the creatures that use the default skin template to add the two new skin materials? Do some Regular Expression search to find '[CREATURE:[a-z]*'  and add it at the bottom?  Does adding the material to the creature affect how it works normally?

Lastly, does adding a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT] to a material do anything special?  My understanding is that it works kind of like a tag.  Allowing you to 'tag' some materials, and allows you to select them easier in the reaction?  In other words, like in your mod, allows you to say ANY skin, as long as it has this reaction product?
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:28:56 pm »

Eh, i'd rather have stronger skin types that can be made into generic (but stronger) leather and then generic (but still stronger) leather armor.

Because that whole cat leather armor is just as protective as elephant leather armor is buggering me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:43:11 pm »

Yeah, that's the first thing I fixed in new Genesis, it makes no sense :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:27:55 am »

Eh, i'd rather have stronger skin types that can be made into generic (but stronger) leather and then generic (but still stronger) leather armor.

Because that whole cat leather armor is just as protective as elephant leather armor is buggering me.

Hmm... This might be time to merge both ideas!

Perhaps some leathers from some creatures start at a higher tier, while lower quality leathers are upgradeable to the same tiers through a number of improvements!

I am lacking some knowledge as to how the materials being on a creature affect the creature.  for instance, If I make a few new types of leather (Say, Normal, Tough, Stoneskin, and then my 2 added tiers of studded, and hardened plate), do I just tack on the new leather types at the bottom of each creature?  does that affect the creature, or replace its normal skin?

Also, i'm having trouble figuring out what the reaction should be to convert one type of leather to another.  Could anybody shed some light on this?

Lastly, once I have an understanding of what adding materials on to creatures has, I think I am going to go through the list of creatures and start making note of what I think should have Tough skin, Stoneskin, or stay with regular vanilla skin.  You are all free to offer up suggestions!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 01:10:42 am »

Perhaps some leathers from some creatures start at a higher tier, while lower quality leathers are upgradeable to the same tiers through a number of improvements!

Both Genesis and Masterwork do that. Some creatures in masterwork give hardened leather automatically, while Genesis has 4 or 5 different classes of skins. All these affect the creatures of course, since they have a layer made of these tissues.

Easiest is to make a new standard_material_template, with standard_tough, standard_stoneskin and so forth, then you only need to change one line in each creature.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:28:18 pm »

Both Genesis and Masterwork do that. Some creatures in masterwork give hardened leather automatically, while Genesis has 4 or 5 different classes of skins. All these affect the creatures of course, since they have a layer made of these tissues.

Easiest is to make a new standard_material_template, with standard_tough, standard_stoneskin and so forth, then you only need to change one line in each creature.

Well, so much for not reinventing the wheel... Heh.

So, if I understand you correctly, there isn't a way to transfer the creature name, to a new leather material type?  For whatever reason, Materials and using them in reactions continues to elude me.  I can't wait for that 'Ah-Ha!' moment to finally kick me in the head.

Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:39 pm »

Materials dont change the name. It will be "creature name - material name" , for example: "cat leather" or "elephant leather". If you add a new material, the creature name will stay the same. Example: "cat hardened leather" "cat studded leather"....

I use fake creature to REMOVE the name, that is by design. Deon (Genesis) keeps the creature names, but has different names for the materials, for example: leather, hide, deephide and mythskin. So a dragon with the epic skin to protect him in combat would give 1 mythskin, which is tanned into 1 "dragon mythskin". Again, creature name + material name.

Seriously, check out OldGenesis, it has it for sure. Dont know about the new one yet.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:58:14 pm »

Seriously, check out OldGenesis, it has it for sure. Dont know about the new one yet.

Yeah, I downloaded New Genesis on your previous suggestion, but didn't have too much luck finding an example. I didn't have a lot of time to look though, so I haven't given it a fair chance yet.

I'm going to give Old Genesis a try tonight as well, and see what I can dig up.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »

Okay!  I have made lots of progress I think.  I have just about wrapped up the first 'testing' version of this, and have a small issue that is preventing me from testing my work.  The Reactions for making Armor studs seem to be causing an issue, but I can't figure out why.  Here is the message I get in the error log:

Spoiler: Error Log (click to show/hide)

I can't figure out what is causing it to be a problem.  Anybody have a guess?  Here are the associated files:

Spoiler: entity_default (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: item_tool_David (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Reactions (click to show/hide)

I think I have been staring at it too long, I can't find anything that stands out.

Here is what I have attempted to do to solve the problem:
  • Deleted any special characters or extra spaces
  • copied a default item raw file, and changed the entries to match the stud.  Removed the other items to prevent duplicates

Thanks in advance!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:59 pm »

I think your reaction product should not be a
ITEM_TOOL_ARMOR_STUD:NO_SUBTYPE

but rather a
TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_ARMOR_STUD

I don't think you really want
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
i.e., one of any object at all, but that's not what causing your error. 

maybe something like
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL]

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 01:21:21 pm »

I think your reaction product should not be a
ITEM_TOOL_ARMOR_STUD:NO_SUBTYPE

but rather a
TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_ARMOR_STUD

Thanks! I'll give that a try!  I kept looking in the item, assuming that was the problem, but upon reviewing your suggestion, it makes sense that I screwed up the reaction.

I don't think you really want
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
i.e., one of any object at all, but that's not what causing your error. 

maybe something like
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL]

Yup!  I copy-Pasta'd from another reaction, and accidentally deleted those lines.  Nice catch!

This friends, is why you don't work on things at 2 am.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 01:30:52 pm »

> Yup!  I copy-Pasta'd from another reaction, and accidentally (...etc)

Yeah, I know the feeling ;)

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 01:46:44 pm »

Thanks smakemupagus!  That fixed the error log, and shows the reactions further down in the tanner, so its no longer aborting that file.

Question: is there a limit to the amount of reactions you can have on a workshop?

Related Question: Are we able to put our reactions into categories, like it is on the Vanilla craftsdwarf Workshop?

Additional Question: I can't seem to get the dwarves to start tanning the leather into the upgraded versions.  I'm going to keep looking, but if anybody sees a problem, feel free to shout out!  Here are the reactions and materials in question.  The studs are being created, and stored in a 'finished goods' stockpile properly.  I have a save game with the problem as well if needed.

Spoiler: Fixed Reactions (click to show/hide)

I suspect its a missing, (or misunderstood!) tag in a reagent, but i'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:46:06 pm by Dragoon209 »
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress
Pages: [1] 2 3 4