Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.2  (Read 14878 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers - WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 04:32:54 pm »

looks awesome
out of historical intreat did you know studded leather Armour wasn't real yet it is in nearly every rpg. It was probably a misinterpretation of "Brigandine" Armour and has just bean kept as its
heres a quot from this sitehttp://www.mercwars.com/armtype.shtml
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and a picture

not to say you shouldnt have it as its easily recognizable as better leather, are the material you make the studs from going to have any effect?
that would require a lot of new materials
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:35:07 pm by sackhead »

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »

looks awesome
out of historical intreat did you know studded leather Armour wasn't real yet it is in nearly every rpg. It was probably a misinterpretation of "Brigandine" Armour and has just bean kept as its
heres a quot from this sitehttp://www.mercwars.com/armtype.shtml
and a picture

not to say you shouldnt have it as its easily recognizable as better leather, are the material you make the studs from going to have any effect?
that would require a lot of new materials

Very interesting!!  That actually gives me a few ideas as to adding further levels between upgrades...

Once I get the last part of the reactions working to actually select the leather to upgrade, I will start looking a way to integrate this!  Thank you!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 02:12:22 pm »

Question: is there a limit to the amount of reactions you can have on a workshop?
 - No.

Related Question: Are we able to put our reactions into categories, like it is on the Vanilla craftsdwarf Workshop?
 - No.

Additional Question: I can't seem to get the dwarves to start tanning the leather into the upgraded versions.
 - TAN_UPGRADE should be TAN_MAT in the material reaction product in your material templates.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 10:07:49 pm »

Closer!  Now i'm getting leather and studs turned into.... animal skin.   :o

I'm going to feel really silly when I find whats wrong...
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 11:06:28 am »

Df cant find the material it is looking for in the creature and takes the first assigned material, which is skin. Example:

You have a cat. Cats have skin and leather defined. You butcher a cat, get cat skin. All good. You tan cat skin, get cat leather. All good. You upgrade cat leather, get cat studded leather, but cats dont have studdedleather assigned inside the creature/body detail plan, so DF takes the first defined material, which is skin.

Go here: [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS] and add your upgraded materials, this way all creatures using this template will be available for upgrading.

I didnt mention this previously because you were using a different system, with materials defined in a fake creature, since you changed your system to material reaction products, you have to do this as well.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 11:23:21 am »

Df cant find the material it is looking for in the creature and takes the first assigned material, which is skin. Example:

You have a cat. Cats have skin and leather defined. You butcher a cat, get cat skin. All good. You tan cat skin, get cat leather. All good. You upgrade cat leather, get cat studded leather, but cats dont have studdedleather assigned inside the creature/body detail plan, so DF takes the first defined material, which is skin.

Go here: [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS] and add your upgraded materials, this way all creatures using this template will be available for upgrading.

I didnt mention this previously because you were using a different system, with materials defined in a fake creature, since you changed your system to material reaction products, you have to do this as well.

This was exactly what I needed.  I don't know if I'm going to keep the same system now, but this lead me to figuring out where I was going wrong. 

I wasn't understanding where the the conversion of materials from skin to leather was happening, and now I see that its defined in the standard tissues, along with just skin.   I'm not sure what I thought was going on before, but all of a sudden, it makes sense.

Last question (I hope!):  If I just add the new materials to the plan, but DON'T assign them to a body part (I guess like Leather is currently -- part of the standard_materials, but not assigned to a body part on the creature) , then the creatures won't be affected with super tough skin, but I will be able to get the new material from LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER, LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER_PADDED, LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER_STUDDED, Etc?! 

This is the only part I hate about learning something new.  Beating your head against the wall trying to figure something out, without knowing enough to know you are missing a vital piece!  I'm just embarrassed, because i'm sure I skimmed over it in the wiki 200 times or so.   :-[
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 11:29:47 am »

Yes.

If you want to give creatures tougher skin as well, you need to assign them a new body detail plan with a different skin type. Again, see oldgenesis for how its done. ;)

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:13 am »

Yes.

If you want to give creatures tougher skin as well, you need to assign them a new body detail plan with a different skin type. Again, see oldgenesis for how its done. ;)

PERFECT!  :D

I considered tougher creature skins, but I don't know if I want to make a bunch of changes to that just yet, not until testing is finished on this part.  I think that would a good goal for an optional add-on for those who want it in combination with this.  Once this is released, I'll post a poll about it, and see what others want.

Thank you so much!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 03:31:05 pm »

SUCCESS!!

I just managed to craft  "Superior Runic Leather Armor", all the way up from Skin.

Now, to add all kinds of crafty reagents to make it fun and challenging!

Is there a way to target the barrels of blood that the merchants sometimes bring?  How about make them as well? 

I saw that Masterwork has a way to make a blood barrel, but it uses a custom inorganic.  Is this a work around to solve the issue, or the side affect of the Blood Wine feature?

Currently, the system has been revamped, and now includes 5 tiers of leather.

Level 1- Standard Leather, Unchanged from Vanilla.
Level 2- Padded Leather, Strength of Copper
Level 3- Studded Leather, Strength of Bronze
Level 4- Hardened Plate Leather, Strength of Iron
Level 5- Runic Plate Leather, Strength of Iron + 30% of (Steel - Iron difference), Fireproof

All levels will require a specific ingredient that hopefully matches a few stages of development of an early fort.

Level 2- Lvl 1 Leather, Cloth
Level 3- Stone/Bone Studs, Lvl 2 Leather
Level 4- Oil/Water bucket, Lvl 3 Leather
Level 5- Corpse / Barrel of Blood, Lvl 4 Leather.

What do you guys think?

edit: Ahh! I see that Masterwork was using some of the material from Bloodwine Mod.  I'll have to take a look at that too!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:37:06 pm by Dragoon209 »
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 05:04:35 pm »

Interesting concept, posting to watch.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 01:03:20 am »

Okay, I think its almost ready for a public release.

Current status:

5 tiers of leather, if you include vanilla leather.
Poor Woodland Creature -> Animal Skin -> Leather 1 -> Leather 2 -> Leather 3 -> Leather 4 -> Leather 5 (Magic! Fire proof!)

All values for strength are the same from my last post.  Check it out if you are interested.

I'm going to clean up the files a bit, and will probably post them in the morning.

Requirements for each tier:
  • Leather 1 (Leather) - 1 Dead animal, you horrible person.
  • Leather 2 (Padded Leather) - 2 Leather (lvl 1), 1
         Cloth Product: 2 Padded Leather Pieces
  • Leather 3 (Studded Leather) - 2 Leather (lvl 2), 4 Studs (Bone or Stone Block)
         Product: 2 Studded Leather Pieces
  • Leather 4 (Hardened Leather Plates) - 2 Leather (lvl 3), 1 Barrel of Booze (Boiled in booze, for extra dwarfy goodness!)
         Product: 2 Hardened Leather Plates
  • Leather 5 (Rune Inscribed Leather Plates) - 2 Leather (lvl 4), 1 Corpse
         Product: 2 Rune Inscribed Leather Pieces

There are minimal changes to vanilla raws (reactions to entity_default, and adding 2 tags to material_template, adding 4 tags to b_detail_plan_default), and 3 additional files.  Leather keeps its animal type throughout the entire process, allowing you to make some lore-friendly armor from the bodies of your enemies!  Reactions take place at standard workshops: Tanner, and Craftsdwarf, and Kitchen.  I would recommend you allow the butcher, and processing of goblins in your raws to add additional fun.  I'll include instructions on how to do so in my next post.

Runic Goblin Menace Armor, here we come!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 02:39:48 am »

One tiny criticism: If your items are really called hardened leather plates and rune inscribed leather pieces, than you will have this as an end product: "Masterwork suits of rune inscribed leather pieces armor".

Might be a bit long. I would definetely leave out the pieces and plates at the end.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:46 am »

One tiny criticism: If your items are really called hardened leather plates and rune inscribed leather pieces, than you will have this as an end product: "Masterwork suits of rune inscribed leather pieces armor".

Might be a bit long. I would definetely leave out the pieces and plates at the end.

Haha, apparently you saw the first working version...  :P

I hadn't expected that at first, but it made sense when I saw it.  I had since changed the materials to much shorter names, but I left the long names in my last post for a better understanding of what I was going for.  The material names in game are  Leather, Padded Leather, Studded Leather, Plated Leather, and Runic Leather.  I haven't stuck around to kill any goblins in my test games, so the longest I have seen so far is 'Superior Opossum Runic Leather Armor'.  Still pretty long, but not much longer than what is shown in vanilla DF.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.0
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38:58 am »

Release 1.0!  See first post for details.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.0
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 10:20:21 am »

Updated to 1.1

Fixed some reaction names to make them more descriptive, and list how much product you get.
This should be safe to use with any games you have started.

I played with this mod myself over the weekend, and liked it a lot!  I was able to bring enough materials to get up to 'bronze'  studded quality leather for 2 dwarves.  So far, the additions have felt pretty balanced to me.  Any comments?
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4