Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.2  (Read 14872 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.1
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 11:48:25 am »

Suggestions: Make a download with all raws done, so that an install would simply mean: "extract into raw/objects folder, replace all" Obviously this would only work for vanilla DF, but anyone with a modded df will figure out how to do their own version.

Then add this to the community mod list, see profits pinned post, otherwise this would be lost in the modding forum quite soon.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:45 pm »

Good suggestions, I'll do that.  Thank you!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 05:55:50 pm »

This is a fun little mod, and actually something I've toyed with the idea of modding myself.  Thanks for sharing it!

I'm not completely sold on the tier system, but I can see the value in it.  It does increase the labor to reach better leather, which I see as a positive.  It creates distinctive indication of which leather is better as protective material, which is a psuedo-positive to me.  The major negative I see is mostly conceptual: you are making boiled/hardened leather from studded leather which is made of padded leather... seems a bit convoluted materials-wise.

I was going to suggest adding horn/hoof/shell to the studs list, but looking at the reactions it seems they are already there!  Except for shells, which would be cool (fear the pond turtle shell studded leather!)

One more negative... you released this, meaning that if I release the leather mod I was planning, it might seem like I'm copying you!   :P

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 09:26:57 pm »

You have identified my own issues with it as well.

The general concept was to have a mod that increased the usability of leather to the point that it could compete with metal, and that the ingredients on the way would 'cost' more and in time and materials in order to make them.  This pretty greatly increases the cost of a full set of runic leather, in both resources, and time.  Once I set it up, I had no idea how to really break down the process well enough to make logical sense.

One would assume that, before boiling, the dwarves would remove the padding on the leather, but then why pad and stud it at all in the first place?  Should this stripping return cloth back to the player?  These are questions I wanted to avoid, and settled on a straightforward system, with a shaky footing in logic.  I would love to change the process in an update, but I haven't been struck with the golden idea of how to fix it just yet.  I thought of making the entire system based on the leather being enchanted in various ways up the chain, but thought this was more of a cop out.  ;)

In regards to the bone/hoof studs, Yes!  I thought this was an important way to add some additional value instead of just making them into crafts.  I intended for shells to be in there, I must have forgotten about them!  I'll have to add that to the next version too.  Sadly, the material of the stud is lost during the creation of the armor.  Your pond turtle shell studded armor would most likely be *Chicken Studded Leather*.  If you can think of a way around this, let me know!  Excessively long item names be damned...

Lastly, I don't think you should feel bad at all with producing a mod with similar outcome.  I decided to make this because I loved playing Dwarf Fortress, and I wanted to learn how.  If you trace back on this mod, and my first mod the Block Crafter's Workshop (see links below), you will see a long history of me asking silly questions while I learned.  While digging through lots of other people's mods (Old Genesis, New Genesis, Masterwork, Kobold Fortress, and Modest Mod) I found lots of code that seemed related.  This isn't a bad thing!  Each mod provides an experience unique to the sum of its changes, and sharing/borrowing/outright stealing of code is a good way to learn.   ;)  I'm sure that if you look hard enough, you will see where I borrowed some reactions from Meph to facilitate the upgrade of leather.  I encourage you to release your own version!

If you like, I am also willing to work together on a new version together, or you can use my code to expand to your own system.  I'm in it for the fun and knowledge, and you aren't going to bother me one bit by putting out a mod that shares an idea. 

Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »

looking awesome!
included in my sig is a link to a more leather mod i have bean working on, you can include it in your mod if you want.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 10:35:45 pm »

looking awesome!
included in my sig is a link to a more leather mod i have bean working on, you can include it in your mod if you want.

Thank you!  I saw your post, and was considering adding it once i had to chance to test it more.  It looks like a pretty nice solution!  I have added it to my personal version, but was unable to play at all this weekend.  Hopefully tomorrow I get a chance.

Don't worry, I will definitely credit you for it! 
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 05:09:43 pm »

Saint over at DFFD has posted some helpful comments and corrections, and I will be posting a new version soon to reflect that.  In the mean time, I wanted to show anybody who uses this how I use it.  Maybe it will help you!

Since I am using the standard leather crafting reactions at the Leatherworks to make armor, having the dwarves grab whatever their heart desires can be a little frustrating when you are trying to make a full set of a specific tier of armor.  In order to get around that,I have sorted the leather out into different stockpiles.  I then use the 'give to workshop' function to make sure that only the leather I want used it taken.

My Workshop and stockpiles look like this:

And the stockpile settings are as follows for the Standard Leather pile:

I am using quantum stockpiles and minecarts to automate the storage process, but this works just as well with regular stockpiles.  To prevent myself going insane while setting up the stockpiles, I used Macros to Hit "Enter, Down x 5", and used that to populate the lists with the correct leather type. 

When crafting armor, I change the stockpile link, and give the orders for suits to that workshop.  Easy!

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:50:03 pm by Dragoon209 »
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Mod: Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers 1.2
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:04 am »

If you want to go a step further you can have a look at my tailor workshop. Since I encountered the same problem that you have (leatherworker mixing types of leather) I made a workshop that allows custom leather types to be selected one by one.

I usually wouldnt do this, because stockpile limitation is easily done, but leather is the exception, with one leather (or 5 in this case) for each creature.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 01:07:21 pm »

I expect the answer to be no, but is there a way to alter gloves so that they won't wear over time?  Since leather gauntlets don't exist, you are stuck making leather gloves to fit the part.  Since gloves are not considered armor, they wear out, and have to be replaced.

If you want to go a step further you can have a look at my tailor workshop. Since I encountered the same problem that you have (leatherworker mixing types of leather) I made a workshop that allows custom leather types to be selected one by one.

I usually wouldnt do this, because stockpile limitation is easily done, but leather is the exception, with one leather (or 5 in this case) for each creature.

Thanks for the heads up!  I'm might add this to the next version.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 03:02:07 pm »

Have a look at the modest mod, one optional part (if I remember correctly) makes all clothing HARD instead of SOFT, which means that it does not wear down. Otherwise is has no effect. So yeah, that would fix it, but cloth/yarn gloves wouldnt wear down either.

Why not just add the leather tag to gauntlets? That would be way easier ^^

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 03:09:36 pm »

Have a look at the modest mod, one optional part (if I remember correctly) makes all clothing HARD instead of SOFT, which means that it does not wear down. Otherwise is has no effect. So yeah, that would fix it, but cloth/yarn gloves wouldnt wear down either.

Why not just add the leather tag to gauntlets? That would be way easier ^^

You always know the answer  :)

I was looking on the Wiki, and it stated that the [HARD] tag's use wasn't known.  I'll investigate further.  I was doing a search on the modding board, because I assumed I wasn't the first person to start looking for this.  I saw one post that suggested the [HARD] tag, but it was for an older version.  When compared against the Wiki, I assumed it was no longer a fix.  I guess I will just have to test and see!

I didn't think to add the leather tag to gauntlets.... that sounds like a plan!  If I add that tag, it will just show up at a Leatherworks shop?  or will I just be able to create gauntlets out of leather from a Armorer?
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »

It will show up in the leatherworker, like any other item that can be made of leather.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 03:13:53 pm »

If you take Meph's advice the gauntlets should show up at leatherworker.

If i remember, the [HARD] tag also makes civilians not wear them by default.  So if you use that Modest mod add-in you may find that you have to make a civilian uniform to get them to wear clothes.  (My orcish civ has a domestic product that is a mask, and when I first introduced it it was [SOFT], civilians would immigrate wearing them and also grab them from the stockpiles)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:15:28 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 03:16:24 pm »

His question was just about the gloves, which are not part of the "wear no clothing" thing... only pants, shoes and shirts are necessary, so having no gloves is no problem. He specifically asked for leather gloves as part of a uniform, so I guess having to assign them makes sense.

Then again, this solution is way inferior to just making gauntlets made of leather, so this discussion is theoretical :P

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »

Thanks!  I assumed that the Leatherworker functioned much like a modded workshop, and pulled from a set of internal reactions not exposed in the raws.  I assume it builds whatever list of items should be craft-able there from the item tags then, Interesting.

Looks like adding the [LEATHER] tag to gauntlets is the way to go.  I Like clothing wear, personally.  its a little swift for my taste, but I think it should stay in the game, rather than stop the wearing of all clothing.

I think anybody using this mod expecting a small change to leather armor, would be pretty shocked when their migrants start showing up naked! 

Edit: You guys are Ninjas!  Thanks!!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4