Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roguelike Engine  (Read 1017 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Roguelike Engine
« on: January 14, 2013, 05:38:42 pm »

A while ago I was working on a Roguelike Engine and got distracted. But I'm taking a second crack at it.

http://www.filebox.com/2cvrpe25dnnf

This is the beginning of several dozen different projects that I have in mind. What it is right now is a single 9x9 area that is linked to itself along the edges. This gives the appearance of an endless plain. These areas are rotated depending on what number you choose in the beginning, and you can see your character on them. Sometimes you can even run into yourself. It's just a demo, to show what I've got so far. Next I'm going to add items and enemies, and then start working on some actual games.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:12:05 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:56:45 pm »

I doubt many people are going to go ahead an run a random .jar of the internet. I am not even sure if most people know how to run them.

How about you post some screenshots instead?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:59:11 pm by Killjoy »
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:00:53 pm »

Yeah... a teensy bit more info if you don't mind.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:10:34 pm »

I was going to be all mysterious, but OK. This is the beginning of several dozen different projects that I have in mind. What it is right now is a single 9x9 area that is linked to itself along the edges. This gives the appearance of an endless plain. These areas are rotated depending on what number you choose in the beginning, and you can see your character on them. Sometimes you can even run into yourself. It's just a demo, to show what I've got so far. Next I'm going to add items and enemies, and then start working on some actual games.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »

Alright. Mysterious is fine but as said above, running a random jar someone links and say "HEY LOOK AT THIS!" isn't a good practice.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 06:15:14 pm »

Yeah, fair enough. I'm use to being on Linux and not worrying about such things.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:19:07 pm »

Yeah, fair enough. I'm use to being on Linux and not worrying about such things.
Ah yes, I forgot linux users abandoned all pretense of security.