Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 29687 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

So, yes I need to consolidate all the changes better, plan was to do that after the solo fight rounds but I might as well just change it sooner to better be kept track of, but regardless
You guys are Rank 3, so your stats go, from E to A, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, while the opponent for this round is, as stated, Rank 4, so his stats would go, from E to A, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. A + to a stats is always 1.5x and a ++ is 2x, and a Rank 4 gets one free + to put on any stat, which this guy has on Agility, giving him 37 Agility, (25 x 1.5 = 37.5, rounded down), ignoring skills.

While in general, the intent was for this round to be a loss, as a Rank 4 enemy is intended to be fought only on a number's advantage, with my plan for the greater number of actions on your side to make up for the divide in stats, this round has basically shown that such high levels of agility go a bit too far, as the ability to dodge and completely ignore damage is perhaps too powerful in combat, compared to endurance, which can only reduce damage to 1/4 even on a crit success, while A+ strength has become kind of useless for enemies in combat, given a crit on strength doesn't add damage unless it's low enough, which is all on luck.

Unfortunately, I work tonight, and I'm writing this as I prepare to go to work, so I don't have the time to work out how to fix that, though I've currently just been changing the enemy Rank 4s who I have a + to Agility for to something else, but I will be working on what can be done to fix it.

(Honestly, I can actually see a definite way this round would work if it was the 4 of you versus this guy, with all of you defending Irine, who would get her sure hit damage in, but that would just have the issue of a fight like this having to focus on defending only 1 unit who can do anything, which is a different issue.)

As a general rule with the current system, equivalent Agility would have a 50% chance to hit.

A difference of 5 would be a major advantage

A difference of 10 would basically be untouchable

A difference of 17 is just absurd, you should have known going in that our chance to land a hit is basically  zero :V
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

So this whole game kind of exists since I’m not fantastic at modeling things without actually seeing them in action, but you also aren’t wrong. Still, a solution has been reached.

Essentially, under the new system idea, a full dodge that completely stops damage would be an action to perform, preventing other actions this round. The current way dodged work, as a reaction, would be changed to mitigate damage, essentially moving so as to turn a direct hit into a glancing blow, based on the difference between your and your opponent’s rolls. Noble Phantasms, while still ignoring normal accuracy, can be dodged, with effort, using a dodge action. In order to make that at all useful, you’ll receive an alert in advance when the opponent is going to use their NP, similarly to FGO’s tick gauge system, and in universe, likely due to seeing them begin chanting it’s name, or the various effects that occur when charging it up. NP sneaks attacks or ones specifically designed so that their activation is stealthy of course will not do this.

This system will need some ironing out, of course I need to work out exactly how the damage reduction works, the intent being essentially that the closer the hit was the more it does, in part because I don’t want to implement a system designed to balance out the swordsman and then it turns out that his agility is high enough he keeps not getting hurt. I mostly just posted it to see what people think of the idea.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

I’m not fantastic at modeling things without actually seeing them in action
This is completely understandable. Playtests exist for exactly this kind of thing. The fact that you're trying to base off of a known to be flawed system and improve on it while keeping it simple and avoiding departing too far from the base material creates a significant challenge in of itself.

having said that though, um.
(Honestly, I can actually see a definite way this round would work if it was the 4 of you versus this guy, with all of you defending Irine, who would get her sure hit damage in, but that would just have the issue of a fight like this having to focus on defending only 1 unit who can do anything, which is a different issue.)
I don't think this would work, because Irine's NP causes friendly fire (which if you remember, is one of the major balancing factors keeping her NP from being overpowered). Or, well, we would only win by technicality, because only Irine would be left when it was all over. I don't think having all but 1 party member die in the encounter would really count as a proper win.

on a side note, IMO flame dance has consistently underperformed, if we get a chance to make character changes after this, I might want to swap it out. I've got healing teammates in mind for the replacement, but with complications because her inability to protect or heal allies has been a longstanding source of trauma / character development for her. But since her even being here requires a timeskip and some background adjustment for her, it does make sense for that to be one of the nice things she worked to gain in the interim.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Snip

I was thinking more Flame Orb, though thinking on it more that has its own issue as flame orb gives the enemy a check to resist the attack. As for changing Flame Dance/your character, flame dance you can change between round 4 and 5 if you want to, though as for changing your character, especially as you’re planning to play support, I’d say wait until we finish round 5 and move on to the team rounds.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)
« Reply #604 on: August 07, 2023, 01:51:10 pm »

ATTACK
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)
« Reply #605 on: August 26, 2023, 12:25:00 am »

I'm planning on fielding Irine in a different game, and I don't like having the same character in two places at once, so although I'm fine with leaving her here for testing only, I'd prefer to not have her be an active character if this game leaves the testing phase. I'm up for making a new character to replace her when the time comes.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]