Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3738542 times)

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: The Show Must Go On
« Reply #10110 on: November 20, 2013, 02:45:22 pm »

Let's say that someone had the ability to fire off a bunch of little red beam-like things everywhere. Would you think that was a "special attack"?
...Maybe? It would depend on how much damage it did, how strong the character was, and how fancy the attack looked.
That happens to describe our good ol' bloody-shotgun-whose-name-I-forget. Which doesn't require SP.
Oh, I almost forgot. How about if you instead saw a red beam? Well, that's pretty much what the dragon's attack is, isn't it? It also is what we had with that lovey sniper rifle we had, and that knife. Neither required us to spend SP to make the attack.
They required SP to make, and are weapons, not natural attacks.
And yet we could use them endlessly.
Regardless, the concept is there. You can't assume that just because it looks like it could be a spell, it costs SP.
All ranged weapons use SP, they function endlessly because we put MSP into the weapon, which is special I guess.....
No, they don't all require SP.

Throwing rocks, shooting arrows, and such do not require SP. Why would you assume that all ranged attacks need SP when the only ones that do fall under the category of spells?
But such weapons would have ammo constraints, and therefore would be largely temporary

Firing our shotgun doesn't cost SP either.
It technically did, because the shotgun is made from MSP

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: November 20, 2013, 02:46:13 pm »

I don't count that, since it was a one-time cost.

EDIT:  And it doesn't run afoul of the anti-magic field.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: November 20, 2013, 02:48:55 pm »

The Shotgun uses the Fire! Spell on itself, so it wouldn't have to calculate penalties from Antimagic :P

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: November 20, 2013, 03:20:52 pm »

-1 to leaving behind juicy loots and jumping down shaft.
-1 to switching to Riltia.
+1 to taking on dragon.
-1 to using Al as meat shield.

Instead: Drag along one of the Hellyfish corpses and use it to block the first shot as we enter room. Then we can do the hide behind living Hellyfish thing.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: November 20, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »

-1 to leaving behind juicy loots and jumping down shaft.
-1 to switching to Riltia.
+1 to taking on dragon.
-1 to using Al as meat shield.

Instead: Drag along one of the Hellyfish corpses and use it to block the first shot as we enter room. Then we can do the hide behind living Hellyfish thing.

Um.
The Hellyfish can attack, remember?
It might be able to prevent us from acting, too.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: November 20, 2013, 03:32:24 pm »

Corpse shenanigans! I will probably support the idea if it is more fleshed out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: November 20, 2013, 03:50:17 pm »

There's a reason I presented the action as mostly moving into position.  If the voices in Ciro's head tell her to do that, then we can plan out from there.  There are really many choices:

1)  Follow my suggestion (Al tanks opening shot, rest of team bumrushes)
  a) Switch to Al first
  b) Don't switch
2)  Just bumrush and hope for best
3)  Try to just run through
4)  Shenanigans  (Like using the corpse as a meatshield)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: November 20, 2013, 04:40:06 pm »

+1 switch to Riltia
-1 dropping

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is this the actual weapon stats? 0-9 damage, kills at 2 hp.
I interpret that +2 killing as if an attack brings the enemy down to 2 hp, it will count as a killing blow. Though it could just be a strait +2 to damage, or completely meaningless. Maybe it gets a +2 against living things (non-illborn, non-machine)?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:42:52 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:26 pm »

I read it as a +2 to attack rolls, but killing at 2 HP is an interesting trait.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: November 20, 2013, 04:47:24 pm »

I read it as a +2 to attack rolls, but killing at 2 HP is an interesting trait.
I would expect it to be killing when the attack would result in 1-2 HP. Or maybe it gets a critical hit on an 18-20. Or maybe it kills instantly on a 19-20, or some other arbitrary number.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:46 pm »

Here's a small theorycraft.

"TRAINING'S OVER
BYE BYE OLD FORD
DOWN WITH THE KING
LONG LIVE THE LORD"

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with "Angel", that unfinished flashgame. The game was about Betweenford training a new angel.
"TRAINING'S OVER | BYE BYE OLD FORD" sounds like the Newford betrayed Betweenford.
"DOWN WITH THE KING" the king is most likely who Betweenford works for. Maybe the King of Haria, he's the only king mentioned so far.
"LONG LIVE THE LORD" the lord might be Oric, might be someone else.

EDIT:
It is also possible that Betweenford finished training Newford, and he is just saying goodbye to his teacher.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:11:09 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: November 20, 2013, 05:15:37 pm »

Here's a small theorycraft.

"TRAINING'S OVER
BYE BYE OLD FORD
DOWN WITH THE KING
LONG LIVE THE LORD"

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with "Angel", that unfinished flashgame. The game was about Betweenford training a new angel.
"TRAINING'S OVER | BYE BYE OLD FORD" sounds like the Newford betrayed Betweenford.
"DOWN WITH THE KING" the king is most likely who Betweenford works for. Maybe the King of Haria, he's the only king mentioned so far.
"LONG LIVE THE LORD" the lord might be Oric, might be someone else.

EDIT:
It is also possible that Betweenford finished training Newford, and he is just saying goodbye to his teacher.
Sounds like the last one, although it seems he wants to overthrow Oric, as foretold by BetweenFord and teh 'Lights'

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: November 20, 2013, 06:22:35 pm »

You know, it does bring to question why the town guard had an 'illegal weapon of murder'. It was probably called that before Al killed him, I mean he didn't kill him with it so it isn't his weapon of murder, so who's is it?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: November 20, 2013, 06:25:54 pm »

Let's say that someone had the ability to fire off a bunch of little red beam-like things everywhere. Would you think that was a "special attack"?
...Maybe? It would depend on how much damage it did, how strong the character was, and how fancy the attack looked.
That happens to describe our good ol' bloody-shotgun-whose-name-I-forget. Which doesn't require SP.
Oh, I almost forgot. How about if you instead saw a red beam? Well, that's pretty much what the dragon's attack is, isn't it? It also is what we had with that lovey sniper rifle we had, and that knife. Neither required us to spend SP to make the attack.
They required SP to make, and are weapons, not natural attacks.
And yet we could use them endlessly.
Regardless, the concept is there. You can't assume that just because it looks like it could be a spell, it costs SP.
All ranged weapons use SP, they function endlessly because we put MSP into the weapon, which is special I guess.....
No, they don't all require SP.

Throwing rocks, shooting arrows, and such do not require SP. Why would you assume that all ranged attacks need SP when the only ones that do fall under the category of spells?
But such weapons would have ammo constraints, and therefore would be largely temporary
Alright, let's go with something a bit more speculative, because we have seen very very few ranged weapons.
Imagine that Ciro was a acid-spitting monster. Would the acid take SP to spit?

It technically did, because the shotgun is made from MSP.
And why can't this apply to the dragon? Why are MSP-investing things the sole realm of PCs?

The Shotgun uses the Fire! Spell on itself, so it wouldn't have to calculate penalties from Antimagic :P
Where is the evidence that such a spell exists?

You know, it does bring to question why the town guard had an 'illegal weapon of murder'. It was probably called that before Al killed him, I mean he didn't kill him with it so it isn't his weapon of murder, so who's is it?
Maybe he confiscated it from Mordor?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: November 20, 2013, 06:31:09 pm »

Though it is true that the dragon might not have to use SP, I still think that having Al tank is the best way to proceed, other than maybe switching to Riltia. Using the drop just seems really risky.
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1544