Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1326 1327 [1328] 1329 1330 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3696689 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: DL3.2
« Reply #19905 on: May 01, 2015, 05:11:48 pm »

Oh come on that's just a hedge of text. What do you think of my theory?

Edit: By the way, I think I know why Oric wants the Target dead. And I'm pretty certain solving that one will either upgrade the Ardent Circuit or the Insolvent Thaumaturge. Oric wants the Target dead because he is afraid of the Target and the Target's power, especially the Target's Soul Star. I'm going to have to post my reasoning later...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:20:05 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19906 on: May 01, 2015, 05:20:24 pm »

I can link ya a wall of text if you want one.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19907 on: May 01, 2015, 05:21:47 pm »

... you could link to all the times we saw Oric, and all the times we saw a Sinister Sibling. That would help my task...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19908 on: May 01, 2015, 05:26:54 pm »

That ain't an easily available wall of text~

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19909 on: May 01, 2015, 05:28:24 pm »

Ha-di.
Generic Arms Race.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19910 on: May 01, 2015, 05:51:02 pm »

I'm going to post a detailed theorycraft when I'm less busy, but to summarize my idea:

Oric is trying to imprison the Warrens, and requires Soul Charge to do so. Ciro would interfere with the process in multiple ways, and is thus undesirable, in addition to the whole "free soul charge" thing.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19911 on: May 01, 2015, 06:00:08 pm »

Okay. To start with, each room is denoted by a square in a grid in the mini-map. It seems likely that each room could be denoted by a pair of numbers, and possibly a third for dungeon level. Also, that Statue talked about rooms and moving them using pairs of numbers... (3,4). It seems to me that the Catalyst does things with rooms, but what? Well, since there are two sets of coordinate input boxes, it must select two rooms. This is supported by the addition of the "z" box, which denotes up or down space in Cartesian coordinates. So it does something with two rooms, and really it seems most likely that that something is switching them because for anything else, there wouldn't need to be two sets of inputs. For the finale, look at the name. The name of a Soul Star typically hints at what it does... though the Vain Crescendo still stumps me... for instance the Astral Influx letting the Target have whoever he/she chooses be guided by the Spirits, and the Illborn Exchange letting us exchange Illborn for essence, and the Ardent Circuit manipulating circuits... you get the idea. So for Asynchrony Catalyst, it acts as a spark, a catalyst, for some sort of powerful action, and for Asynchrony, it causes un synchrony, or discord... exactly the type of discord that would be created if say, a room from dungeon level 6 was switched with a room from dungeon level 3 or 4. You know the dungeon levels all have their own theme, a river of blood found in a skyship wouldn't make sense. So... although we didn't get a z box until recently, moving a room from elsewhere in a dungeon level would still be Asynchronous. Although I am nearly certain I am correct about this, I would not recommend testing it with dungeon level 7 or 8, due to possibly provoking Oric if we tried. Once we get back to the Catalyst, I recommend that we go to a dungeon level considered safe, or normal, like Two, and type in (the room next to us), (2,2,6), which should net us a room from dungeon level Six. Mini-theorycraft get!
A more concise, easier-to-read version of this would be:

-We know dungeon rooms are denoted by tiles on the grid mini-map, so it's possible to denote them as ordered pairs, ie (5,2). We've seen that creepy statue doing exactly that, with (3,4).

-The Catalyst must affect rooms, because [REASONING_NOT_FOUND]

-Since the Catalyst affects rooms and has two sets of input fields, it must do something to two rooms at once. This is supported by the addition of the Z axis, since that would allow these things to operate on different Z-levels.

-This thing is probably switching them because I have no idea what else it could be.

-The name of a Soul Star kind of hints at its purpose sometimes if you're looking at it from the right angle; for instance, Illborn Exchange lets you swap Illborn for their Essences, Ardent Circuit can manipulate circuits assuming they have menus like every other thing it can manipulate, and the Astral Influx controls who a ravening swarm of brain-damaged ghosts advises.

-Asynchrony Catalyst is a catalyst, or spark, that does the opposite of synchrony, so discord. Therefore it's a discordant spark, which means swapping dungeon rooms because... that'd be weird!

As a side benefit to being easier for everyone else to understand, detailing everything out like this can help you find issues with your own reasoning.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19912 on: May 01, 2015, 06:06:39 pm »

Also, from a gameplay perspective, that's massively over powered. After all, it renders check point traveling entirely pointless, since we can just swap out our room and an adjacent room to wherever we want to go, so long as we had the AC on us.
Traveling across DLs is possible by locating the coordinate for some means of ascension and simply warping there, teleporting, rinse and repeat.

FFS made a mistake by giving us the spellbook and the Ring of Sexiness, but there's no way he'd mess up THAT badly.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19913 on: May 01, 2015, 06:16:05 pm »

Also, from a gameplay perspective, that's massively over powered. After all, it renders check point traveling entirely pointless, since we can just swap out our room and an adjacent room to wherever we want to go, so long as we had the AC on us.
Traveling across DLs is possible by locating the coordinate for some means of ascension and simply warping there, teleporting, rinse and repeat.

FFS made a mistake by giving us the spellbook and the Ring of Sexiness, but there's no way he'd mess up THAT badly.
Not necessarily. It could cost quite a bit of Soul Charge, and the Asynchrony Catalyst is weakened by the fact that we can't always carry it around with us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19914 on: May 01, 2015, 06:30:05 pm »

Okay, point. But really, what else would it make sense to effect? Also, I think that the thing has a cooldown, or a rather high cost... there's probably a way to balance it. Also: reasoning for effecting rooms: the Catalyst has an earth theme, and that I feel corresponds with the dungeon levels... oh that's not a good link is it. Oh well. At least it seems messing with rooms is something the Catalyst could do, and is likely to do. If you have an other possibility... Also: as to the balancing: it probably has negative effects for sentient life within the room when swapped.
Generic Arms Race.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19917 on: May 01, 2015, 06:37:46 pm »

Sounds right... did we ever go north from that position?
Generic Arms Race.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19918 on: May 01, 2015, 06:42:45 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121809.msg4892629#msg4892629
I seriously think we should consider buying the eyebrow-waggling technique for 2 river dollars. That's +10 persuasion right there for us to take advantage of in any way we want to. Honestly, what can't we do with +17 persuasion total?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19919 on: May 01, 2015, 07:56:23 pm »

I'm sure ffs would let us find out.
Pages: 1 ... 1326 1327 [1328] 1329 1330 ... 1544