Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3741750 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Let's Get Al Back
« Reply #5490 on: June 04, 2013, 12:34:14 pm »

Unless we're actually in Oric's mind and Betweenford is the outside contact.

The cycles are him going through some sort of problem over and over, Groundhog Day style, until... something happens?

I've rather been in favor of the "it's all a dream/simulation/nonreality" theory for a while.

Replaying different scenarios of basically the same thing inside of the mind of a schizophrenic? It's a neat idea, and would imply that Oric is still in captivity in the real world, and Ciro is his representation of whatever set off the schizophrenia. Except this time, we're also sort of the medication/therapy to help Oric overcome his schizophrenia.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: June 04, 2013, 12:35:03 pm »

Assuming what I said was correct, there's no reason to assume anyone else is actually a real person.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: June 04, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »

Yah, sure, schizophrenia theory.
Real original.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: June 04, 2013, 03:37:38 pm »

I just realized something.

"Watcher of the watch".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, anyone?
Then again, it could just be a rhyme :P
It could be rhyme or wordplay, but I agree that the Angels watching the wardens makes sense.
Of course...who watches Betweenford?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: June 04, 2013, 03:46:29 pm »

I just realized something.

"Watcher of the watch".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, anyone?
Then again, it could just be a rhyme :P
It could be rhyme or wordplay, but I agree that the Angels watching the wardens makes sense.
Of course...who watches Betweenford?

He watches himself. Recursion, ho!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: June 04, 2013, 03:57:26 pm »

Real original.

Though I forget, did we ever figure out what a Silent was?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: June 04, 2013, 04:12:06 pm »

A person who has up to that point been a silent protagonist?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: June 04, 2013, 04:13:07 pm »

Real original.

Though I forget, did we ever figure out what a Silent was?

Someone who can't speak, like Ciro when he first started out. I can't think of any that we've met (aside Ciro, of course).

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: June 04, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »

So here's a crazy theory. We've met exactly one Silent in the whole game: Ciro. We also know that Ciro is involved in some elaborate cycle of amnesiac reincarnation, which s/he has repeated multiple times. So what if every Silent to pass through Underside was a different reincarnation of Ciro?

Probably the most interesting implication of that premise is that Al strongly implied he's seen multiple Silents come through the village, suggesting that either each cycle is quite short (i.e Ciro dies quickly) or Al has been down in Underside for a hella long time. Though we already knew that second one, not that we've tied an actual timeframe to anything.

This also ties into Ciro recognizing Al at the Greens.

Ciro can hardly recognize Al if s/he hadn't encountered him on previous cycles, and if Al was jive to the whole "cycle" thing then he would have known who Ciro was as soon as he fell down into Underside. Thus, Al thinks there's this whole class of adventurers he terms "Silents," when really he just keeps meeting Ciro over and over.

On top of that, it seems quite unlikely Al has ever left Underside before this cycle (we even got a whole cutscene out of it!) which would imply that Al's (and Cherish's) current Underside Exodus is a major departure from previous cycles. If that's true, then we should be really careful of Al and Cherish since it seems likely they'll be eliminated/reset at the first opportunity in order to "normalize" this aberrant cycle. Unless the reset of the cycle also gives Al partial amnesia.

Partial amnesia. Is there anything it can't explain?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: June 04, 2013, 04:43:34 pm »

Crazier theory: Every character is a version of Ciro, from some point during the cycles.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: June 04, 2013, 05:35:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure the shopkeepers, the guards, and the postman are also silents.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: June 04, 2013, 05:40:51 pm »

Shopkeepers and guards both talk. Wilford and the arena guards are notable examples.

The postman, however, is silent as far as we know, but is willing to put a bomb in someone's mailbox.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: June 04, 2013, 06:17:04 pm »

This also ties into Ciro recognizing Al at the Greens.

Ciro can hardly recognize Al if s/he hadn't encountered him on previous cycles, and if Al was jive to the whole "cycle" thing then he would have known who Ciro was as soon as he fell down into Underside. Thus, Al thinks there's this whole class of adventurers he terms "Silents," when really he just keeps meeting Ciro over and over.
Would she have known about any of that stuff even if she had met him before, though? That looks more like some seeing into his soul stuff than having noticed him raising an adoptive daughter and murdering someone for no reason before.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: June 04, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »

Shopkeepers and guards both talk. Wilford and the arena guards are notable examples.

The postman, however, is silent as far as we know, but is willing to put a bomb in someone's mailbox.

The guard that guards the storage is completely unwilling to talk.
You go look in storage. The guard down here seems unharmed, but he's one of those NON-TALKY TYPES. You know, like the shopkeepers. Except you don't know that because you haven't met a shopkeeper yet.

New Theory: the Postman is Oric.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:48 pm »

You go look in storage. The guard down here seems unharmed, but he's one of those NON-TALKY TYPES. You know, like the shopkeepers. Except you don't know that because you haven't met a shopkeeper yet.

New Theory: the Postman is Oric.

Oh my sweet Armok... It would make sense! What with the bomb and everything!

Actually there's still the problem of Ciro being dead when the postman was on-screen.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1544