Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3737459 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Let's Get Al Back
« Reply #5685 on: June 06, 2013, 09:18:49 pm »

You know what I'd like to see right about now?

The Shipping Grid

So, what to add next?
Goom-Bess.
Maybe Floe too since she had some sort of relationship with Ciro in a previous cycle according to flashbacks
Really? Which ones?
Right here.
They met before, but she seems to call everyone "darling"...

The good course of actuon would be to push Floe into an acid pit again.
You have a funny definition of "good"...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: June 06, 2013, 09:35:50 pm »

Predictable? Sure. You could also have predicted that Ciro would kill Riltia...but he didn't. Besides, I'm not sure how "predicting" the possibility is germane, but I've also mostly forgotten what the root argument was about.
He didn't, this cycle. As for other cycles, who knows?
Predicting the possibility is relevant because people were saying "the guys in charge have noted there are anomalies this cycle, the whole system is in danger!" when we have no real reason to believe that anything that's happened could cause that. If something is an easily predictable- even if uncommon- occurence, it's that much more likely to have been factored in by whoever set up the cycles in the first place.

Oh, sure, some are more important than others. But none are unimportant, not to Oric, not if he's thinking...um...the way I would if I was an evil overlord in some kind of dungeon.
Important to Oric, perhaps, but who says he's the one in overall control of the cycles? The flash minigame suggests he's simply the current warden, not the only one who can do the job, and that replacements are built in to the system, so him losing control is not likely the end of the cycles.

before I used that to support a theory that the dungeons somehow autorepair.
I'm not saying that the dungeons must be autorepair, I'm saying that they can be quickly and easily remodelled on a very large scale. Whether that was done by Oric, Proxxy, the Angels, the Dungeon itself, or someone else entirely doesn't really matter.

the Greens, which seem to be a life-support system, are in the Underside. That would evidently spell doom for the entire complex within hours.
Remember how I said the Underside may well not be an original part of the Warrens? If they did get added on, they would need their own life support.

Dorfliw, Nightmare Knight encounter confirmed! Think we can talk him down when we see him?
That depends on whether we have Al with us.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: June 06, 2013, 09:41:20 pm »

This is going to be my last post before the next update (which may be fairly large). Just wanted to say: there's another Official Theory Contest Question in the OP. Because of the nature of the question, I can't give any hints whatsoever. Sorry.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:13 pm »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:03 pm »

Predictable? Sure. You could also have predicted that Ciro would kill Riltia...but he didn't. Besides, I'm not sure how "predicting" the possibility is germane, but I've also mostly forgotten what the root argument was about.
He didn't, this cycle. As for other cycles, who knows?
That was my point.

Predicting the possibility is relevant because people were saying "the guys in charge have noted there are anomalies this cycle, the whole system is in danger!" when we have no real reason to believe that anything that's happened could cause that. If something is an easily predictable- even if uncommon- occurence, it's that much more likely to have been factored in by whoever set up the cycles in the first place.
Ah. Yeah, that's a bit of a flimsy basis.

Oh, sure, some are more important than others. But none are unimportant, not to Oric, not if he's thinking...um...the way I would if I was an evil overlord in some kind of dungeon.
Important to Oric, perhaps, but who says he's the one in overall control of the cycles? The flash minigame suggests he's simply the current warden, not the only one who can do the job, and that replacements are built in to the system, so him losing control is not likely the end of the cycles.
It's important to Oric, and Oric is in control of a lot. Oric will use that control to make sure things are the ways he wants it to be, which if the last cycles ended as badly for the Target as it seems from the fact that he started in power and Ciro didn't, are how the last cycle (and maybe the cycles before them) ended--with the Target losing and Oric on top.

before I used that to support a theory that the dungeons somehow autorepair.
I'm not saying that the dungeons must be autorepair, I'm saying that they can be quickly and easily remodelled on a very large scale. Whether that was done by Oric, Proxxy, the Angels, the Dungeon itself, or someone else entirely doesn't really matter.
Or...they were designed by a crazy guy. Or they could be remodeled slowly on a large scale. Or there was a magma pit in the original designs.

the Greens, which seem to be a life-support system, are in the Underside. That would evidently spell doom for the entire complex within hours.
Remember how I said the Underside may well not be an original part of the Warrens? If they did get added on, they would need their own life support.
Then why did the Warrens system care how much oxygen was left in the Greens? They're part of the Underside.

Dorfliw, Nightmare Knight encounter confirmed! Think we can talk him down when we see him?
Or if we're in Oversoul.

The spots of light...I'm going to start with the obvious and suggest that they're just lights in a dark room a few levels down.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: June 06, 2013, 09:59:27 pm »

My bet on the lights? They're tracking, the dots representing people of certain import and the lines representing floor layout with crossroads being rooms.

Probably wrong, but...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:22 pm »

That's an easy one.

This is my point of evidence.  Also this.  And the statue.

We're looking at DL3.  Each DL is a randomly generated series of rooms.  The statue was giving off a feed of room generation- for what area, I am not sure, nor does it really matter.  What matters is the fact that it's happening and changing.

Those lights are rooms.  The connections are... well, connections.  As rooms are generated and destroyed, they move around on the grid.  We're watching real-time dungeon construction.  One would assume something is moving around down there, causing rooms to be built, but that's just a guess.  The big computer in that room can be used to somehow influence the creation, if we knew how to use it.  Why is the Betweenford encounter relevant?  We went into one of the non-lighted spaces.  That is why the room was so dark, and there was nothing there.  We somehow skipped over a connection and went into a "null" zone- see the Chris Houlihan reference.

The whole thing is really like the Cube movie director's cut, where they find a non-room.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: June 06, 2013, 10:09:28 pm »

Edit:Ninja'd by toaster with same theory!

EDITEDEDIT:The actual connections to the orbs could be one of the seriers of connected vents as well; to supply everything with oxygen.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:11:12 pm by javierpwn »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: June 06, 2013, 10:11:18 pm »

-being smart-
-also being smart-
You win all my smarter than me. Or at least all my investigation skills.

:P

*Twi is in awe of your quick deductive skills, not to mention finding all the evidence.*

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: June 06, 2013, 10:13:49 pm »

-being smart-
-also being smart-

*Twi is in awe of your quick deductive skills, not to mention finding all the evidence.*
*Javier Bows in thanks*
*FFS then says both of our theories are hrribly wrong, and have many faults between them*
*Javier continues work on the other theory he was working on at the time*
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:17:27 pm by javierpwn »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: June 06, 2013, 10:16:54 pm »

-being smart-
-also being smart-

*FFS then says both of our theories are hrribly wrong, and have many faults between them*

You'd still get points for coming up with coherent theories with support in the time it took me to make up poorly-thought-out guesses vaguely related to the statue and the console.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: June 06, 2013, 10:19:53 pm »

-being smart-
-also being smart-

*Javier Bows in thanks*
*Javier continues work on the other theory he was working on at the time*

I wouldn't have put it up as a theorycrafting question unless it was far, far more complicated than that.

Wait wasn't this post supposed to be the update according to the last one? FFFFFFFU-

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: June 06, 2013, 10:26:42 pm »

That was my point.
Ok, to clarify here, when I say "predictable" I mean "it can be easily predicted that it is likely to happen in some cycles" not "you can easily predict it will happen every cycle."

It's important to Oric, and Oric is in control of a lot. Oric will use that control to make sure things are the ways he wants it to be, which if the last cycles ended as badly for the Target as it seems from the fact that he started in power and Ciro didn't, are how the last cycle (and maybe the cycles before them) ended--with the Target losing and Oric on top.
Agreed, but that's not really important to my base point which is that it's not likely to break the cycles.
Though, it might change them significantly. I wonder, does Oric want the Target dead because the Target is the one who can replace him?

Or...they were designed by a crazy guy. Or they could be remodeled slowly on a large scale. Or there was a magma pit in the original designs.
Except that that's contradicted by DL2.

Then why did the Warrens system care how much oxygen was left in the Greens? They're part of the Underside.
... That's the point. The Underside's life support system got taken out, so it had to fall back on the Greens.

Or if we're in Oversoul.
Not sure how Oversoul is going to help us get him to overlook the guy that murdered him for no good reason, unless we want to go the mindrape route.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: June 06, 2013, 10:30:25 pm »

Spoiler: Troll FFS is Troll (click to show/hide)
Also, pretty sure the Greens is the Main Life-Support

Pretty sure that states that the Life-Support will only last another few hours before shutting down, due to lack of stored power.
All power tends to get re-routed to important systems.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: June 06, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »

I'm a genius. I just figured out all of the theorycrafting questions.

Spoiler: Internal Bleeding (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Colored Lights (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Extra Theorycrafting (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1544