Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3741984 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Underwater segments now in 3D!
« Reply #8460 on: August 17, 2013, 04:54:22 pm »

Well, now I will get into theorycrafting too:

Who are the shopkeepers? Are they Oric's minions? Or are they independent beings who profit from the cycles?

-If the first, then, as it has already been stated, the idea of the Warrens is to give Ciro the feeling that she is in a game.
-If it is the second, then Oric is spending a fortune to finance the cycles (creating loot and money), which means that Oric was either rich or very good at business before the whole business thing.
As far as I can tell, it's the second. Why would they give such nonuniform prices if they were all under a single leader?
They still have to compete for the admiration of their great Leader.
...I don't follow.
Go to a Wal-Mart. Go to a Wal-Mart one town over. They might not have identical prices, but they're going to be pretty close, almost certainly closer than either will be to a K-Mart in the same town.
How is Wal-Mart different from this hypothetical Oric monopoly?

1. Yes, but why are they that big? If the Underside is carved into the sides, that makes the original vents thicker than most areas of the Warrens. Why do air vents need to be the biggest part of the building--or crawl-throughable at all?
2. Where do the people come from, and how many people bring planks and bricks into a dungeon?
3. Why bring the people there and not just the Illborn?
1.Who said it only transports air from one place to the other? We have seen small armies of searchbots in the vents adjacent to the Underside.
2.They fall into the Warrens. Don't forget that people who can actually their Stars before they run out of charge able to accomplish feats of varying greatness.
3.Proxxy is obviously Anti-discriminatory
1. So, people settled the area traversed by the deadliest critter in the upper Warrens?
2. That does answer half of the question, although it leaves unanswerabe ones unanswered. It also leaves one to wonder where the building materials for the house come from.
3. Proxxy isn't the boss of the Warrens.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: August 17, 2013, 05:03:26 pm »

1. Yes, but why are they that big? If the Underside is carved into the sides, that makes the original vents thicker than most areas of the Warrens. Why do air vents need to be the biggest part of the building--or crawl-throughable at all?
2. Where do the people come from, and how many people bring planks and bricks into a dungeon?
3. Why bring the people there and not just the Illborn?
1.Who said it only transports air from one place to the other? We have seen small armies of searchbots in the vents adjacent to the Underside.
2.They fall into the Warrens. Don't forget that people who can actually their Stars before they run out of charge able to accomplish feats of varying greatness.
3.Proxxy is obviously Anti-discriminatory
1. So, people settled the area traversed by the deadliest critter in the upper Warrens?
2. That does answer half of the question, although it leaves unanswerabe ones unanswered. It also leaves one to wonder where the building materials for the house come from.
3. Proxxy isn't the boss of the Warrens.
1.They had Guards, Al and Wilford. Although it certainly isn't the best place to live.
2.People with Soul Stars could conjure them. People with magic could conjure them. Any random person could have been a builder.
3.Yes, but we have only observed Proxxy sending her intruders into the vents. Therefore, we must assume(until otherwise proven) she is the only one who does this.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: August 17, 2013, 05:07:23 pm »

Head back, go up to replenish oxygen, and head west.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: August 17, 2013, 05:09:08 pm »

1.They had Guards, Al and Wilford. Although it certainly isn't the best place to live.
2.People with Soul Stars could conjure them. People with magic could conjure them. Any random person could have been a builder.
3.Yes, but we have only observed Proxxy sending her intruders into the vents. Therefore, we must assume(until otherwise proven) she is the only one who does this.
1. You admit that there are better places to settle. Why not settle there? Especially if, as you claim, the Underside was carved out from the air vents and such.
2. I'll believe it when we get the Summon Wooden Board or Brick Storm spell. Or at least an indication that such skills exist.
3. Does she handle all the intruders?
Remember, I was arguing with the "Non-killed intruders are plenty of people for the whole village" part, not the "Proxxy did it" part. If it happened, Proxxy probably did it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: August 17, 2013, 05:24:43 pm »

1. You admit that there are better places to settle. Why not settle there? Especially if, as you claim, the Underside was carved out from the air vents and such.
2. I'll believe it when we get the Summon Wooden Board or Brick Storm spell. Or at least an indication that such skills exist.
Remember, I was arguing with the "Non-killed intruders are plenty of people for the whole village" part, not the "Proxxy did it" part. If it happened, Proxxy probably did it.
1.They aren't exactly given much choice in the matter. They are stuck between acid/monsters, and a another vent that goes straight downwards(probably far enough to kill you)
2.Don't blame you Probably requires some obscure reagent.
3.Probably not. Besides, there are bound to be people who bypassed the Dungeon itself and just entered straight into Underside.(So many unanswered questions!)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: August 17, 2013, 05:29:45 pm »

1.They aren't exactly given much choice in the matter. They are stuck between acid/monsters, and a another vent that goes straight downwards(probably far enough to kill you)
2.Don't blame you Probably requires some obscure reagent.
3.Probably not. Besides, there are bound to be people who bypassed the Dungeon itself and just entered straight into Underside.(So many unanswered questions!)
1. You mean like the one in? Before I continue this debate, what do you imagine the proto-Underside to have looked like?
3a. Then how many people do you think enter the Warrens?
3b. How?
Sig

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: August 17, 2013, 05:41:53 pm »

1.I imagine it would have just been a barren vent, with no structures, and 1-2 random people hanging about.
2a.Plenty of people enter the Warrens! How else would Oric support killing off Ciro hundreds of times, while creating enough minions for his Siblings, and keeping the OS contained and Docile.
2b.They could have possibly opened up a rift between gaming dimensions, slipping directly into less traveled parts of the Warrens. They could have had a magic/Star that allowed them to teleport(like the catalyst)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: August 17, 2013, 05:53:33 pm »

1. How big?
2a. Alright, let me rephrase that. At what rate do you envision people entering the Warrens?
2b. Have we seen any evidence that this is possible?
Sig

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: August 17, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »

Head back, go up to replenish oxygen, and head west.

+1

That "Warning" graffiti on the ceiling above the mega man boss door that we got a bad feeling about and guarded by two monsters underwater feels like a sign of some sort.  :P

"Treasure here," perhaps, but we're currently a squishy mage, alone, in an anti-magic field, with multiple enemies and an underwater time limit. Let's come back later. Until then, explore as much of the dungeon as possible to discover the best lootin' opportunities before committing to anything.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: August 17, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »

Think we could Bloodshape a SCUBA tank? Ideally with a free BCD and weight belt. Or an integrated BC.
Sig

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: August 17, 2013, 06:25:24 pm »

On the discussion a while ago about being underground: I can't remember if it was my own crazy speculation, or someone else, but wasn't there the idea that the warrans was actually on its side, so that instead of going down we're actually traveling across. I think there was some interesting reasoning behind it, but blast if I can remember, this was something months ago.

EDIT: AH, I see it was actually Lord Slowpoke's idea, he reiterated on it a few pages ago.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: August 17, 2013, 06:26:14 pm »

The reasoning was basically "This way we're not going down, so the light could be sunlight".
Sig

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: August 17, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »

On the discussion a while ago about being underground: I can't remember if it was my own crazy speculation, or someone else, but wasn't there the idea that the warrans was actually on its side, so that instead of going down we're actually traveling across. I think there was some interesting reasoning behind it, but blast if I can remember, this was something months ago.

EDIT: AH, I see it was actually Lord Slowpoke's idea, he reiterated on it a few pages ago.

yeah, with ffs confirming viewport shifts are a thing it could as well be true with us simply not getting a notification that our viewport shifted i'm just not going to bother with the sunlight part, bloody pointless

also -1 to trying to bloodshape anything on this entire dungeon level unless you actively want us to waste hp

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: August 17, 2013, 06:41:11 pm »

also -1 to trying to bloodshape anything on this entire dungeon level unless you actively want us to waste hp
Oh yeah.
Let's keep my SCUBA-gear-bloodshaping to where I intended it to be: The "Let's-think-about-it" pile.
Sig

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: August 17, 2013, 06:42:52 pm »

Now back to our regularly scheduled ravings from out local 'good' conspiracy theorist, at least retorted to be good by what is possibly Lichenstien. This report is brought to you by tinfoil, the wonder material!

the shopkeepers are actually unique souls, much like yaos, but able to draw their soul charge from the warrens themselves and produce items

heard it here first
Well, now I will get into theorycrafting too:

Who are the shopkeepers? Are they Oric's minions? Or are they independent beings who profit from the cycles?

-If the first, then, as it has already been stated, the idea of the Warrens is to give Ciro the feeling that she is in a game.
-If it is the second, then Oric is spending a fortune to finance the cycles (creating loot and money), which means that Oric was either rich or very good at business before the whole business thing.

Now that you see that there is more to the merchants than there seems, we can proceed! Trust not the waggle of their eyebrows, nor the allure of the economy exploit for it be but a falsity by them!

They crave coin in a situation where coin is worth naught, 'cept by their own designs! They provide items from which there is no known source! They are many and the same, everywhere yet hiding under deceitful disguises! WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE HAT?! How is it that they may travel where they please yet, can it be that they know of many a place we do not? What of the siblings, do they know of these places? Have we seen what places a sibling may know at a teleporter or checkpoint? Are these merchants of a higher level than that of the holy guardians? YES! Trust not that which comes wrapped in velvet with promises of reliability for a price, trust not the voices that whisper sweet nothings of bartering and mercantilism!

Behind their eyes lies a scheming secret the likes of which cannot be fathomed, YET. We shall discover their secrets, cast off the trappings of their evil machinations!

Spoiler: Serious Version (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:53:11 pm by Xanmyral »
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 1544