Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3742259 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: ....
« Reply #3300 on: May 04, 2013, 04:01:54 pm »

Still, the Cheating skill should be useful in and of itself...
Let's look for the most bugged-looking character we can find!

Maybe there's an Action 52 bit? Those games were pretty buggy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: May 04, 2013, 04:10:37 pm »

Well, we can change up our stats with it, this was confirmed at the beginning of the game. Also the existence of said skill.

Brawler Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • -1 Rodent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: May 04, 2013, 04:48:41 pm »

I think any attempts to gain the cheating skill may be rewarded instead with points in the shenanigans skill. Shenanigans is probably the best skill, cheating aside, so I think we should try obtaining it instead.
Dendritic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: May 04, 2013, 04:49:28 pm »

Shenanigans, Cheating, meh.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Brawler Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • -1 Rodent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: May 04, 2013, 04:55:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This made me think that Betweenford was the eye, but then I remembered the eye was referred to as Floe. Who is Betweenford then?

EDIT: He's a guard of things that shouldn't be accessed like the void. Sort of an entity put into the Warrens to guard the buggy inner-workings of it. He's to prevent horrid mechanic abuse in these areas that would break everything. That's my guess.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:13:31 pm by Brawler Mouse »
Dendritic.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: May 04, 2013, 07:56:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This made me think that Betweenford was the eye, but then I remembered the eye was referred to as Floe. Who is Betweenford then?

EDIT: He's a guard of things that shouldn't be accessed like the void. Sort of an entity put into the Warrens to guard the buggy inner-workings of it. He's to prevent horrid mechanic abuse in these areas that would break everything. That's my guess.
so we need to cheat, and if he pops back up to fix the bugs, we get to hear more of his wonderful rhymes! Everyone wins!
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: May 04, 2013, 08:05:59 pm »

That or he is using the Soul CHarge of Ciro's soul to charge his own soul star up, in order to give himself power, and live forever.
Which may explain why Ciro's soul star was in contact with it in the first place.

Actually, you might be right.

Killing a non-Illborn will increase Soul Charge and this quote...
Yes. The first victim was a sibling. And the next one. And the next one.

Siblings are always the most delicious. Others have not experienced love, joy, loss. They do not taste as good as a sibling with a soul thrice as full.
...from the [sinful] intermission, Cain points out that stronger souls are better. Soul Charge also goes up because of emotions like love, joy, and loss. So I would assume that killing someone with a stronger soul makes the Soul Charge increase more.

We also know that Over Soul seems to give something along the lines of narrative control. The ability to gain power over one's own story. So perhaps Oric is trying to achieve a state of permanent Over Soul...

Another thing to note, when we encountered Oric:

I suspect he likes to make a habit of turning up to meet us "accidentally," being kind of a helpful jerk like Al, then at the end all "big reveal moment" and emotional drama and blah blah blah soul charge baby! That or a backstab that makes Kirei look like a decent human being. Either way, more boost for him to steal once (if?) he kills us. Plus, he might well get a boost of his own out of pulling a big betrayal anyway.

Also, in the Sinful side story we got this from Cain: "The Target: You don't know a lot about him either. He changes the most. You only know the others are supposed to kill him. However, you're starting to think this is not true because he is NEVER dead when he reaches you."
That certainly suggests that Oric is using the other siblings as fuel to charge the Target, though they likely die less than us. Presumably because we only kill a few of them per Cycle, and not necessarily the same ones each time.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Brawler Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • -1 Rodent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: May 04, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »

I don't know, somehow I can't imagine Oric's goal with this elaborate cycle business is something simple. FFS doesn't seem like the type to have the villain's motivation be "Be evil, get power". I think that either he's not the true big bad, he needs this power for what he views as "a worthy cause", or there's something we haven't even been hinted of yet.
Dendritic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: May 04, 2013, 08:33:50 pm »

I suppose it depends in part on how much the game stays true to its roots as a dungeon crawl parody, where evil is evil because evil is evil.
Sig

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: May 04, 2013, 08:48:02 pm »

Also, he is ripping souls out of those foolish enough to go into the Warrens. Like Slog.
Mission:
Find Slog's Soul Star.
Use the Blorble's Orble** to instantly kill Oric via Dopamine Overdose

**Name is subject to change by FFS

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: May 04, 2013, 09:26:37 pm »

Still, the Cheating skill should be useful in and of itself...
Let's look for the most bugged-looking character we can find!

Maybe there's an Action 52 bit? Those games were pretty buggy.

Specifically, the 'Cheat'ahmen portion?  :P
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: May 04, 2013, 09:48:53 pm »

That or he is using the Soul CHarge of Ciro's soul to charge his own soul star up, in order to give himself power, and live forever.
Which may explain why Ciro's soul star was in contact with it in the first place.

Actually, you might be right.

Killing a non-Illborn will increase Soul Charge and this quote...
Yes. The first victim was a sibling. And the next one. And the next one.

Siblings are always the most delicious. Others have not experienced love, joy, loss. They do not taste as good as a sibling with a soul thrice as full.
...from the [sinful] intermission, Cain points out that stronger souls are better. Soul Charge also goes up because of emotions like love, joy, and loss. So I would assume that killing someone with a stronger soul makes the Soul Charge increase more.

We also know that Over Soul seems to give something along the lines of narrative control. The ability to gain power over one's own story. So perhaps Oric is trying to achieve a state of permanent Over Soul...

Another thing to note, when we encountered Oric:

I suspect he likes to make a habit of turning up to meet us "accidentally," being kind of a helpful jerk like Al, then at the end all "big reveal moment" and emotional drama and blah blah blah soul charge baby! That or a backstab that makes Kirei look like a decent human being. Either way, more boost for him to steal once (if?) he kills us. Plus, he might well get a boost of his own out of pulling a big betrayal anyway.

Also, in the Sinful side story we got this from Cain: "The Target: You don't know a lot about him either. He changes the most. You only know the others are supposed to kill him. However, you're starting to think this is not true because he is NEVER dead when he reaches you."
That certainly suggests that Oric is using the other siblings as fuel to charge the Target, though they likely die less than us. Presumably because we only kill a few of them per Cycle, and not necessarily the same ones each time.

Perhaps Oric's Soul Charge just charges absurdly slow and he needs to do this to get power. His speech about the prison makes me think that maybe he is trying to recreate the prison, but not for his own benefit. Like maybe the siblings can no longer survive in the outside world and the cycle and the Warrens is to keep them in check. Sort of like they became dependent on the prison and not being in the prison causes them to freak out... overloading their Soul Stars and... I think I going to far of the deep end here... so I'll just stop.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: May 04, 2013, 10:41:50 pm »

Perhaps Oric's Soul Charge just charges absurdly slow and he needs to do this to get power. His speech about the prison makes me think that maybe he is trying to recreate the prison, but not for his own benefit. Like maybe the siblings can no longer survive in the outside world and the cycle and the Warrens is to keep them in check. Sort of like they became dependent on the prison and not being in the prison causes them to freak out... overloading their Soul Stars and... I think I going to far of the deep end here... so I'll just stop.
I'm not sure that that is too far off the deep end, though there are a few obvious flaws with the theory they aren't unsolvable.
For instance, if Oric's Soul Charge is so slow, why is he the one that stays alive, as opposed to one of the others?
Well, it might be that he was just the last one to not die and recycle, whether that be due to the Kingdom or Cain or whatever. If all of the others were killed and reborn different, they wouldn't have the same goals, and Oric might not be able to rely on them.
Alternatively, maybe his Soul Charge isn't all that slow, but it just takes a gigantic amount of power to do whatever is needed (plus possibly keep Cain bound? And/or keep the dungeon running?). Remember, when we went into Oversoul state it didn't last for very long at all, and if there are a lot of things he has to do, well...
Also, given what it took to restore Riltia from, er, FUN mode, and my speculation about the recycling of the siblings changing them too much, he may be planning to gather enough power to return them back to how they were before, on top of whatever else he wants to do. Perhaps the Kingdom set a similar system up, and Oric wants to undo whatever they did?
I suspect that bit about Cain killing siblings is important for more than the suggestion that they provide more Soul Charge.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: May 04, 2013, 10:45:10 pm »

I'm not sure that that is too far off the deep end, though there are a few obvious flaws with the theory they aren't unsolvable.
For instance, if Oric's Soul Charge is so slow, why is he the one that stays alive, as opposed to one of the others?
Because he's naturally strong/lucky? Or maybe he doesn't.

I suspect that bit about Cain killing siblings is important for more than the suggestion that they provide more Soul Charge.
Indeed.
Sig

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: May 05, 2013, 12:54:13 am »

Well, it seems that everything that could be figured out wiith the information we got is already done.

Now, onto the battle plan:
Ciro: snipe the met in the first step.
Al: Jump-hit the met above us.
Riltia: move ONE step foward and guard.
Slog: seek your inner healing powers.

If both attacked mets die, then we have no risk of the last one hitting us, as it's shots will hit a wall or fly right above us.

Tactical combat should be activated.
Ciro has a Sniper Rifle. Riltia has a bonus to guard checks.  Al has a power that boosts resistance.  Seriously, just have Al cast bulwark on Riltia, and have her stand in front of the party while Ciro snipes the two further ones! Have Slog look deep within himself to discover the Heal spell slimes can sometimes learn!
Longer-term plan. For now, everyone with ranged attacks, attack rangedly!

And yeah, computer issues suck.
Slog: Windirection Mets to expose their delicate underbellies, and/or cause flipped Met to accidentally fire towards its buddy instead of us.
Al: Bulwark Slog to protect him.
Riltia: Pull back/crouch so that Met above you doesn't shoot you in the back of the head.
Ciro: Stay behind Al and Riltia for cover and stay frosty.

Riltia GUARDS and steps forward alongside Slog. To assist with the defensive assault, Al casts a Druid's Bulwark on Slog, increasing his damage resistance by FIVE. Slog uses this newfound defensive freedom to step into the fray and cast Windirection from the spellbook. (Roll: 12) A met on the steps is knocked straight onto its back.

While this is going on, you point your new rifle and aim for the other stair Met's face. (Roll: 15, 8!) The 'bot is easily terminated, exploding in a puff of nuts and bolts. You're a little surprised by the strength of this weapon, actually.

The highest Met takes aim at Riltia and Slog. (Roll: 9-4, 7, 14-4! 6-2 damage!) Riltia's +4 GUARD BONUS allows her to easily evade most of the shots, but one slaps her on the side of the face. Luckily, the same GUARD BONUS also protects her from major damage. Slog also manages to dodge by sitting in one spot and doing nothing.

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 1544