Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3741390 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Let's Get Al Back
« Reply #5565 on: June 05, 2013, 08:15:39 am »

Goddamnit freeform.
I have seen the sun rise, fall, and rise again in the time you're taking to post here. You said it'd be soon!
My jaw and head ache and I nearly had donut come out of my nose in a poorly-timed coughing fit.
I just.
Want.
More.
TWoOtA.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: June 05, 2013, 08:18:36 am »

He has forsaken us! He has started another ISG game, and work on TWoOtA has slowed down!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:22 am »

Alright, Javier, you also remember that Yaos' silhoutte looked odd and monstrous. I don't think people turn into Illborn when their soul charge depletes, Illborn probably are things that never had a soul charge in the first place. When a soul charge depletes, they turn into monsters, Willborn.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: June 05, 2013, 09:08:00 am »

People have entered the Warrens before, but their charge gets depleted. And they resume life as a husk of their former Selves.(unless hostile)

I think it is just a person who accepted their fate as an Illborn, so they became completely and entirely monstrous as a result.
Yaos accepted his fate to die when we told him. He Willingly accepted his fate.

Or perhaps, it is what happens when a person goes far into the negatives of Soul Charge, not only deactivating their soul, but corrupting it(not like Rilitia star corruption, hopefully)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:21:31 am by javierpwn »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:38 am »

Riltia's corruption was actually my other example :/

We've got two people that had their soul charge depleted (proven for Riltia when her soul star was "fixed" by Ciro putting some of his surplus soul energy into it) and that turned into monstrosities, yet there's a village full of illborn humans. SOMETHING isn't right here.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: June 05, 2013, 09:29:24 am »

Well.... Rilitia wasn't truly depleted; she was revived by Spira, which broke her soul star; and combined her with everything around her.
She became worm template due to the acid, while metallic due to the searchbots, with just a hint of humanity due to Wilford's blood.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:23 am »

Consider Slog's backstory.

Perhaps we should be looking at WHEN they lose any soul/soul charge instead of HOW they lose it.  Those who lose their soul on entry become Illborn, while those who keep their soul but run out of charge inside become Willborn- the latter being far more dangerous.

In other words, let's not let Al run out of charge.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: June 05, 2013, 12:12:32 pm »

Here's the thing, how likely would we have been to try if we didn't recruit Al into the Active Party to begin with? We don't even know if we can switch perspective to somebody not in the party (though it seems likely, given how many time FFS prompted us about "do you really want to bash Betweenford with the Astral Influx?")
Considering FFS had to ask us if we really wanted to bash someone upside the head with the damned thing? Fairly likely, I'd say. Adventurers in general and Ciro in particular are known for doing strange things.

Hell, we had some support for switching to Slog. Now that would have been a strange cycle.

What I mean is, if Al wasn't in the party he probably wouldn't even be around to switch to. Without his backup, Ciro might have the sense to not aggro the searchbots, or at least run away when they prove to be extremely powerful. I think the divergence is the fact that we switched perspective to Al and then died so we couldn't switch back, which lead to Al leaving the village with Cherish and Riltia (in most cycles, we probably just meet up with Riltia at the village) which then led to that whole bizniz outside the Greens.

More importantly, though, I think the defining split is that A) We died right after switching characters and B) The character we switched to was Al, who has so much frustration and resentment penned up from his time in the Warrens he went and killed Riltia and Wilford. Switching to Al was where it started, but everything that happened after that is what escalated the situation.
I don't really see the connection or the mechanism here. Do we have any tangible reason to suspect switching to Al was different than Al doing Al things on his own? Different to us doesn't necessarily mean different in any practical aspect.

Also, just how aberrant is this cycle? We keep talking about how everything's gone off the rails, but I'm having a hard time remembering where anyone said that's the case other than some intercepted chatter suggesting anomalies.

I mean, near as I can tell, the only truly strange things would be:

Ciro oversouling to save Riltia
Cherish running off to join Proxxy

The first required Ciro to care about Riltia, but shouldn't have needed anything else except for Riltia to die or die in a certain manner. The voice even suggested she would have "learned this trick" or similar in a few levels anyway, so possibly not even that.

The second might be relatively unique because Proxxy told Cain it didn't make sense for him to have been wondering about her minion "for a while," though that could just mean she hadn't acquired any help this cycle. But in either case, I can't really see the massive, reality-warping significance of Proxxy having a goon with soul charge.

Riltia dying and being manipulated into some superpowered Illborn, for starters. We know that was weird, we got a cutscene explaining so! As GWG said, I'm assuming that each cycle isn't identical, it just follows the same pattern, so when the people in charge note an anomaly severe enough to threaten the cycle, it's probably pretty damn weird.

Riltia didn't have her Soul Star on hand. So I imagine that a Willborn is an Illborn that still has its Soul Star. This might be what allows the Spirit duel to take place. Ciro mentioned they were fighting inside a corrupted Soul. Ciro said a Spirit Duel was the only way to handle them because she had tried before. Furthermore, from some of the information given I would assume that Riltia was actually just an Illborn... powerful, but still lacking a Soul Star.
This seems pretty excessive to me, considering that there's nothing particularly impressive about Illborn, and indeed nothing that impressive about someone with a Soul Star. The notion that the difference between being a monster (or just a guy; remember, some villagers are Illborn) and a full-on boss battle is whether you're carrying your star around when you run out of juice seems odd to me.

I think Emerald is right on this one. FFS confirmed that Illborn are beings without Soul Charge, which makes Willborn a subset of Illborn (since we know Yaos became Willborn by the same mechanism Illborn are created.) The biggest difference between Yaos and, say, Slog, is that he has his Soul Star.

Here's a question- when Riltia fell in the acid, Oric/Betweenford went all Deus Ex Machina to keep her alive in order to perpetuate the cycle. So why didn't they act when Ciro died before that? Were they unable (as he possessed his own Soul Star) or unwilling (they really do want him dead-dead) or were they trying but just offscreen? That whole bomb in the mailbox really could have been intended solely to get Al and Ciro's body out of Underside and into the Greens, where he could be revived. Implying they don't know about Al and his vampire revival that was already going to happen.
Or maybe there was something in the acid that acted as a catalyst, causing the mutation or letting it happen?
Did any other non-Illborn fall in? Maybe we should toss Milli's corpse in the acid pool (when our lives aren't currently in much peril and we feel like remedying that while performing science)?
Part of my is against desecrating the dead, but mostly we can't do it because we don't have Mili's corpse anymore.
What happened to it?

She was in the revival tube with us. I don't think anyone futzed with her body, but it wasn't there when we went back to shove Slog in there.

Alright, Javier, you also remember that Yaos' silhoutte looked odd and monstrous. I don't think people turn into Illborn when their soul charge depletes, Illborn probably are things that never had a soul charge in the first place. When a soul charge depletes, they turn into monsters, Willborn.

Except FFS already confirmed Yandere Riltia was Illborn, by reason of zero Soul Charge. That's why I'm on the "Willborn are a subset of Illborn" theory.

Consider Slog's backstory.

Perhaps we should be looking at WHEN they lose any soul/soul charge instead of HOW they lose it.  Those who lose their soul on entry become Illborn, while those who keep their soul but run out of charge inside become Willborn- the latter being far more dangerous.

In other words, let's not let Al run out of charge.

Also a plausible theory, which implies that Yandere Riltia was not just Illborn, but Willborn.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: June 05, 2013, 12:30:31 pm »

I'd just like to point out that there is no practical reason to ressurect Slog, especially with the (probably) vast expenditure of  time and effort that would require.
There is one simple reason for this: party size.
As soon as we get Riltia & Al back, we'll have a max party. (Riltia, Al, Ciro and Cherish are our best party members and as such should be active)
We'll even have to shunt the Goombess into passive.
The only reasons we'll want Slog back are to use it as a meatshield and for inventory space.
We cannot directly order PPMs, which I'd assume also includes giving them inventory stuff.
( I think we never tested that with Yaos, right?)
As such, Slog would, assuming we can actually ressurect it, would be unable to be used well as a damage sponge, and would take a stupid amount of party-shunting to be used as a pack mule. (with only 3 slots)
Just leave it guys (and possibly girls).
It's not worth it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:33:38 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: ....
« Reply #5574 on: June 05, 2013, 12:39:09 pm »

It's not worth it.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: June 05, 2013, 12:40:08 pm »

I'd just like to point out that there is no practical reason to ressurect Slog, especially with the (probably) vast expenditure of  time and effort that would require.
There is one simple reason for this: party size.
As soon as we get Riltia & Al back, we'll have a max party. (Riltia, Al, Ciro and Cherish are our best party members and as such should be active)
We'll even have to shunt the Goombess into passive.
The only reasons we'll want Slog back are to use it as a meatshield and for inventory space.
We cannot directly order PPMs, which I'd assume also includes giving them inventory stuff.
( I think we never tested that with Yaos, right?)
As such, Slog would, assuming we can actually ressurect it, would be unable to be used well as a damage sponge, and would take a stupid amount of party-shunting to be used as a pack mule. (with only 3 slots)
It's not worth it.

If Slog comes back different he might be more valuable as a teammate. Like a Heal Slime would be a valuable Healer. A Metal Slime would be fast and practically resistant to damage. A Slime Knight would be a good offense. That's to say nothing of King Slimes, Metal King Slimes, and Gold Slimes. Though with our luck he'll come back as a She-slime (Red Slime, if you've been playing the series as long as me) where the only real difference is color.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: June 05, 2013, 12:55:12 pm »

Thats all very good tophat, but please consider this. People stubbornly have already tried to get slog back, and since that there seems to be a majority of them, if they get the chance they'd probably waste an oversoul on the whole resurrecting slog thing.

That and we dont even know if slog would come back stronger. He could just come back as the weak slime that he is.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: June 05, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »

If Slog comes back different he might be more valuable as a teammate. Like a Heal Slime would be a valuable Healer. A Metal Slime would be fast and practically resistant to damage. A Slime Knight would be a good offense. That's to say nothing of King Slimes, Metal King Slimes, and Gold Slimes. Though with our luck he'll come back as a She-slime (Red Slime, if you've been playing the series as long as me) where the only real difference is color.
And sexiness, don't forget sexiness.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: June 05, 2013, 01:08:10 pm »

Anyway, there's no real point in discussing over slog. We'll uncan him when we need him, I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1544