Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3696357 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: The Show Must Go On
« Reply #10125 on: November 20, 2013, 06:52:18 pm »

And letting a dragon shoot lasers of indeterminate power in hopes of depleting SP which it might not use and that it lacks other ranged attacks and can't move to use melee attacks, is completely safe?

Besides, that shaft looks like it has some kind of slowing magic. Moreover, it can't hurt more than Proxxy's trap that dropped us from DL1 did.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: November 20, 2013, 06:55:54 pm »

-1 to shaft

I hate sequence breaking on the first playthrough
It's FEF, not FEOF

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: November 20, 2013, 07:01:06 pm »

And letting a dragon shoot lasers of indeterminate power in hopes of depleting SP which it might not use and that it lacks other ranged attacks and can't move to use melee attacks, is completely safe?

Besides, that shaft looks like it has some kind of slowing magic. Moreover, it can't hurt more than Proxxy's trap that dropped us from DL1 did.

I'm not saying the shaft will kill us. I'm saying it'll drop us somewhere where we'll have to kill things much stronger than that dragon to progress to somewhere where we can warp back to DL2. Also, we should at least try to resolve this floor's problems first. I doubt the dragon is that much stronger than the other spirit, although that one did have the disadvantage of using magic on this floor.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: November 20, 2013, 07:05:48 pm »

-1 to shaft

Um...you're playing the wrong game. We were breaking the sequence from the moment we recruited Rilitia.

I'm not saying the shaft will kill us. I'm saying it'll drop us somewhere where we'll have to kill things much stronger than that dragon to progress to somewhere where we can warp back to DL2.
You sound awfully certain that the enemies will get a lot stronger, and that we are able to defeat enemies easily on a no-magic level despite our party being composed primarily of mages.

Also, we should at least try to resolve this floor's problems first. I doubt the dragon is that much stronger than the other spirit, although that one did have the disadvantage of using magic on this floor.
The lack of magic alone gives him a bonus. Besides that, I wouldn't be surprised if each spirit was more powerful than the last, for the same reason that you assume each level's enemies will be a ton tougher.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: November 20, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »

The spirits we summoned in the Spirit Duel were of roughly equal power, were they not? Therefore, I shall assume that the spirits we summon are of equal power, since the rooms do not have a definite order. If anything, the key spirit should've been stronger, since it was guarding a vital item instead of a random treasure.

Also, we never checked that menu we needed to be in a spirit duel to access. We should check it, just in case it'll somehow help with our spirit dragon issues.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:26 pm »

-1 to shaft

Um...you're playing the wrong game. We were breaking the sequence from the moment we recruited Rilitia.

No no no I don't mean that kinda of sequence breaking :P I mean purposefully skipping parts of the story/loot/gameplay. And stuff. More rationally, I agree strongly on the "Everything down there will be two orders of magnitude stronger than we're prepared for"
It's FEF, not FEOF

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: November 20, 2013, 07:35:49 pm »

-1 to shaft

No no no I don't mean that kinda of sequence breaking :P I mean purposefully skipping parts of the story/loot/gameplay. And stuff.
Again, we can easily return upward if we just bloodshape a jetpack or wings or something.

More rationally, I agree strongly on the "Everything down there will be two orders of magnitude stronger than we're prepared for"
Was everything on this level that strong?
Sig

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: November 20, 2013, 07:38:29 pm »

Ah, finally at end of archive binge. And my first forum game where I actually want to participate, I think?

Stone Dragon looks like he is overpowered, at least if you try to fight him straight. Word of God says this game is supposed to be played by cheating. Hmmm. It is hard to think up anything other than trying to aggro hellfish on dragon via friendly fire. Too risky imo, as I do not think that "ganging up on him with help of hellfish" is any different than tradtional combat. And now is too late to search around room or something. :/

-1 to any plan involving traditional fighting (tanking with Al etc). This could will end with deaths or even TPK, especially considering we cannot use magic and everyone is at 50% HP. We do not have any information about him - no Tattle, no scan with Polaris. HP, SP, attack dices, laser damage, none, nada, nil. We can assume he have bonus to defense on top of that.

I conclude that fighting Laz0r Jetpack Stone Dragon is suicidal. I won't protest against switching to Riltia, but I will not support it either.

Therefore I say two things:
1. Check this goddamn menu option that required spirit duel! It could make Stone Dragon (it is spirit, after all) more manageable at least.
2. If nothing useful is shown there or that suggestion will not be executed, +1 to Drop. This jump has to be survivable, otherwise FFS would not bother with art assets and similiar for DL4. Yay for metagaming!

Oh, and Spirit Class: Reality Auditor.

I'm saying it'll drop us somewhere where we'll have to kill things much stronger than that dragon to progress to somewhere where we can warp back to DL2.
While they could be stronger that hellfishes, they will not be stronger than dragon. I think that Stone Dragon (and that other mage spirit) is special case, being non-native to this dungeon level. Below is explanation why.

If anything, the key spirit should've been stronger, since it was guarding a vital item instead of a random treasure.
You know that spirits are selected randomly by FFS, riiight? How they are strong depends on dice, not what they guard. In case of dragon, he had 19...

Additional metagame note: any monster that can be skipped without penalty can be arbitrarily difficult. After all, you guys asked for it, deliberately setting off obvious trap. This is why FFS randomly chooses spirit instead of having pre-determined enemy jumping out.

There is no sequence breaking in this game. It is quite... freeform. There will be no second playthrough. If you think that, you play wrong game indeed.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: November 20, 2013, 07:51:24 pm »

You know that spirits are selected randomly by FFS, riiight? How they are strong depends on dice, not what they guard. In case of dragon, he had 19...wrong game indeed.

Actually, and I know I'm not supposed to clarify things, but since this isn't something the players can see: the numbers on a Spirit Roll aren't power level, they're the slot on my own personal Google Doc of all the spirits.

That's not to say a stone jetpack lazer dragon isn't powerful, though. A stone jetpack lazer dragon is totally powerful in almost any context.

Grats on finishing the archive binge!

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: November 20, 2013, 08:00:55 pm »

Thanks!

Actually, and I know I'm not supposed to clarify things, but since this isn't something the players can see: the numbers on a Spirit Roll aren't power level, they're the slot on my own personal Google Doc of all the spirits.
One can argue you assigned stronger (on average) spirit to higher number subconsiously. ;)
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: November 20, 2013, 08:11:31 pm »

-1 to shaft

No no no I don't mean that kinda of sequence breaking :P I mean purposefully skipping parts of the story/loot/gameplay. And stuff.
Again, we can easily return upward if we just bloodshape a jetpack or wings or something.

Possibly not. What if we don't have enough health left after exploring and we need a quick escape? What if there's a narrow landing so we can't do the throw-down-object-to-next-person thing? What if those objects are too complicated to bloodshape?

I really think we shouldn't use the Drop unless we really have no other options, which we do at this point. We can use various tactics to kill the dragon, (we could always buy Magic Juice if necessary, unless the dragon blocks the way back to the shop) we can switch to Riltia, (might be interesting, could shed light on her secrets, but returning could be difficult) we could maybe switch to Proxxy, (I forget if we can switch to her or not) or we could think of another option entirely.

Also, we can't leave this floor before we find Cool Crab. We just can't.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: November 20, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »

Possibly not. What if we don't have enough health left after exploring and we need a quick escape? What if there's a narrow landing so we can't do the throw-down-object-to-next-person thing? What if those objects are too complicated to bloodshape?
1. Has that ever been an issue before? And before you answer, consider that the objections have been long-term--e.g, "This lowers our MHP too much to be worth it," and also consider that we will once more have access to healing magic.
2. We carry the people.
3. Oh come on. We've made laser knives before, a simple jetpack is positively simple in comparison.

I really think we shouldn't use the Drop unless we really have no other options, which we do at this point. We can use various tactics to kill the dragon,
None of which are at all promising.

we can switch to Riltia, (might be interesting, could shed light on her secrets, but returning could be difficult) we could maybe switch to Proxxy, (I forget if we can switch to her or not)
You assume in both cases. What if other Siblings can't be switched to, or if wherever Rilitia is she can't be switched to, or if whatever took her separated her from our Astral Influx list, or if we lost contact with the AI switching list after dunking in the water (that time everyone forgot about us and wandered off), or something like that?

or we could think of another option entirely.
I can't help but notice that no one has.

Also, we can't leave this floor before we find Cool Crab. We just can't.
We haven't seen CC in ages, man. He's not likely to be here. Ask Cherish about Cool Crab if you must know. He was last seen with her and Proxxy.
...I wonder if they just got a hankering for seafood.
Sig

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: November 20, 2013, 08:29:14 pm »

1. Has that ever been an issue before? And before you answer, consider that the objections have been long-term--e.g, "This lowers our MHP too much to be worth it," and also consider that we will once more have access to healing magic.
2. We carry the people.
3. Oh come on. We've made laser knives before, a simple jetpack is positively simple in comparison.

1. No, but it might be. And we shouldn't assume we'll have access to healing magic immediately upon descending, though it is possible.
2. Are we strong enough to do so?
3. Those were all weapons and basic tools. We've never bloodshaped advanced tools. before.

None of which are at all promising.
How so?

You assume in both cases. What if other Siblings can't be switched to, or if wherever Rilitia is she can't be switched to, or if whatever took her separated her from our Astral Influx list, or if we lost contact with the AI switching list after dunking in the water (that time everyone forgot about us and wandered off), or something like that?

Then we don't really lose anything for trying, unless we wait until we're in danger or something, which wasn't what I was suggesting.

I can't help but notice that no one has.
That doesn't mean nobody will, especially if we spend a bit of time trying out other tactics before descending.

We haven't seen CC in ages, man. He's not likely to be here. Ask Cherish about Cool Crab if you must know. He was last seen with her and Proxxy.
...I wonder if they just got a hankering for seafood.

Cool Crab is on this floor, almost certainly. When asked, Cherish said he wandered off near the stairs. I doubt he would leave the floor. Remember, much of the floor is still unexplored.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: November 20, 2013, 08:29:15 pm »

-1 to switching PoV
-1 to jumping down drop...
waitthat'stheoptionIvotedforwhydidn'tIpickstairs?
+1 to buffing someone up with DR way high when/if we fight dragon
-1 to fighting it immediately
+1 to dragging Hellyfish corpse to dragon room.

Check through door on Dragon, it might have done something while we were gone.

Also, this might not help, but just taking the first letter of each syllable in that mysterious poem:
TNOV
BBOF
DWTK
LLTL

Darn, not seeing a pattern yet. It's an encrypted message, I know it, but what? Maybe it's a curveball. Let me remove every second word... "Over bye ford, with king live lord". Nope. Only every third word? "Bye Ford the Live"... does not seem likely. "Over Old With Long Lord"... nope.  "Training's Bye Down King The"... definitely not.

Er, your turn, whoever wants a go.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: November 20, 2013, 08:33:10 pm »

!!! The Lord is the title the Angel's have used for their leader thingy. The guy from the old flash game has been mentioned many times as an angel in training. And from what he saw he was being trained by Betweenford! Clearly he's been given an assignment.

EDIT: Also Spira said she was holding onto the Rainbow Key for said Angel in training.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:39:12 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1544