Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 [1542] 1543 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3695668 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome...?
« Reply #23115 on: October 31, 2022, 06:35:01 pm »

I missed this game the firs time around but like half the people I know are raving about it being revived so I'll be taking a look.

trans update...
I just assume half the people on this forum I knew several years ago have all transitioned by now.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23116 on: October 31, 2022, 07:11:56 pm »

I change my personal class to Nostalgia Sorcerer.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23117 on: October 31, 2022, 08:57:07 pm »

I barely even lurk these days, but I saw this when checking updated topics, and I am excited to see this come back again. Also, hello fellow old people.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23118 on: October 31, 2022, 09:57:46 pm »

A surprise to see this pop up again, but a welcome one.  I'd be interested in quietly lurking if there's a continuation.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23119 on: October 31, 2022, 10:03:37 pm »

Personal Class: Wage Mage

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #23120 on: November 01, 2022, 12:37:12 am »

I'd like to reiterate my excitement.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23121 on: November 01, 2022, 12:47:04 am »

Oh damn I missed this thing the first time around and only ever read part of it, excited to see it continue.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23122 on: November 01, 2022, 07:51:57 am »

YESSSSS
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23123 on: November 01, 2022, 03:34:03 pm »

I would be overjoyed to see this game come back to life.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23124 on: November 02, 2022, 09:45:01 am »

I got a trip coming up this evening that will have me gone for a few days, and then I'll dig straight in to making assets and images. I've already got some of it drawn.

Just like old times, I'm trying to keep it simple (read: lazy) for ease of updating.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #23125 on: November 02, 2022, 04:18:10 pm »

Once more the ancient invocations have been spoken, once more the old trails are trodden. The fires are lit. The way is chosen. The watch is kept.

...um, yeah! Cool beans.

Shit, I never thought the day would come. Incredible to see it. Hope you had fun at turnips all these years! :P

And for reference, as far as being worried about interest goes--I've been thinking nostalgically about the Warrens on-and-off since...well, basically since it stopped. This weird little forum game's turned into being a pretty big part of me, strange as it might sound to say it.

The game's antagonist is still my computer's password, yeah.

I'm speaking as someone who really only ever lurked on this, but I think anybody who was around the lower boards when this game was at its height will remember it.

...Although it may be wise to figure out some sort of soft reboot/easy jumping on point so new (or even returning) people don't feel lost. Or perhaps a brief animated summary. My memories of this are a bit blurry, and I'm not sure I have time to run through 1500 pages of refresher material.

My gut says these boards will undergo a surge of new and returning players whenever Toady/Kitfox release DF Steam Version, which may happen sooner rather than later. Would make for as good a time window as any to relaunch TWoOtA.

I'm hyped for new DF as well. 2023 is shaping up to be Nostalgia Year for me

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23126 on: November 02, 2022, 09:28:02 pm »

All the fanart is dead links...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23127 on: November 03, 2022, 01:03:27 am »

I count seven(?) that still work :P
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #23128 on: November 03, 2022, 05:41:29 am »

Maybe it's high time we solved that last mystery from ages ago...

Why does Oric want the Target dead?

Unfortunately scouring through well over 20000 posts threatens to melt my brain so I'll just put out a short idea.

You're right, Oric has stolen a soul star before (Cain's) so he wants the Astral Influx to get the narrative control for himself.
One problem is why didn't he take it before, but here's a theory:
When a soul is purified in a spirit duel, the results get collected somewhere in the Warrens, so when Oric sez we will die to a Sibling, it could mean that he wants us to die in a spirit duel so he can collect the Astral Influx.
What if it was the complete opposite? Oric wants the Target dead specifically to avoid becoming the target of narrative control.

I lost track of that image that says what the Siblings are supposed to do, but I remember clearly that whenever a Sibling gets a hold of a Soul Star, they're supposed to immediately report it to Oric and give it to him. So when one of the Siblings would inevitably kill the Target, the Astral Influx would then go to Oric.

Who then switches narrative control back to the new Target at the start of the Warrens and puts it in a nearby chest for them to obtain.

Edit: bah nvm all this
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 09:07:39 am by Solymr »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23129 on: November 03, 2022, 01:04:44 pm »

You sure? The main villain trying really hard to avoid becoming the protagonist sounds ffs-y.

But I thought the reason Oric wanted the target dead was that trying to do so- rather than succeeding specifically- is the engine that powers the Warrens. Recall this place was originally a demonic ocean trawler, visiting and feasting upon worlds and then becoming rather nervous at the prospect of running out of worlds. Oric came up with the brilliant idea to power it Madoka-style, by generating emotional energy through strife (or as we know it, Soul Charge) rather than just gobbling up whatever was available. Without that source of power, everyone starves. Or at least, the Warrens can't function and the Siblings have nowhere to rule.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 [1542] 1543 1544