Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Map Generated in DF for Dungeons and Dragons  (Read 7506 times)

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using Map Generated in DF for Dungeons and Dragons
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:35:29 am »

I'm planning on using the world Generator in DF to generate a world to be used in DnD. Anyone ever done this before?

It seems like it would work in theory, and I'm looking to see if anyone else has any experience with this.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Using Map Generated in DF for Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:00:03 am »

Would be interesting.

Actualy, with some of the mods running around (Genesis springs to mind, Fear The Night as well. There's also the Wizard mod and it's successer that has a buncha stuff in it.), it would not be that hard to make a genuine fantasy map of sorts.

"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:30:46 am »

Also, there was a very good thread about how to use a fortress map as dungeon a while back:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92926
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »

It sounds plausible. I like building extensive catacombs for adventurers to explore, and I think this would work just as well for D&D adventurers.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 01:51:56 am »

I've never used the DF maps for play in D&D, but I've used DF for random NPC names and taken food and alcohol directly from the game.

Dwarf Fortress also influenced our "Dwarf Alcohol House Rule." ;]

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:59:51 pm »

I'm planning on using the world Generator in DF to generate a world to be used in DnD. Anyone ever done this before?

It seems like it would work in theory, and I'm looking to see if anyone else has any experience with this.

Seen it done once, and did it once.

It works ok.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:47 pm »

I created a df based game, turned out horrible. I used a small part of one world for the world it was based in. It gave a good, rich history and pre-made heros, but it was a pain in the ass to parse it out, and there weren't hill dwarves or other dwarven outskirts, and so i had to add a bunch of crap in.

As long as you are somewhat creative, it can work, of sorts. Paticularly as development on the game progresses. It's also handy because you can always look at anything and get more detail as your players act wierd. Right down to individual tree locations.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:30:27 pm »

<snip> it was a pain in the ass to parse it out </snip>

Agreed.

All of the information is there to spit out a world for starting a campaign, but it would be a lot of work (barring a tailored utility) to extract all the details for use in a tabletop rpg.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:54:55 pm »

I'm planning to start using DF for two things in my roleplaying campaigns.  First, NPCs.  Names, descriptions, personalities, quirks.  Whatever I need.  Second is maps, but not directly.  I think I would export the world map and use it as a guide in AutoREALM.  Keep the general landmasses shaped the same, but put mountain ranges and other features in more logical configurations.  Maybe even deities and pantheons too, now that I think about it more...

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 11:16:00 pm »

I did a few years ago and it was okay. I did a lot of DF takes for that campaign like immortal goblins etc, but it was mostly about dumb factions I made up (dire wolves, mind flayers, ghouls, poets) and finding airship parts. It also spawned a convention of hiring drunks as cheap henchmen.

Overall the randomized world maps from dwarf fortress are really cool and were just different enough from the homebrew things I used to make to be sort of interesting.

DF worlds have the added benefit of generating ~250,000 separate historical events, so if someone wants to roll Knowledge(History) you aren't short of interesting facts to tell them.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 02:40:45 am »

"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

sigged!
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:22:05 pm »

The names alone would be worth the effort.