Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draining brook with one screw pump?  (Read 1742 times)

A_S00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Draining brook with one screw pump?
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:04:24 pm »

I'm trying to power (among other things) a pump stack using water wheels in my brook.  Unfortunately, it appears that the pump stack's intake (which is only a single screw pump at ground level) is draining enough of the water from the brook that most of it is now too shallow to power my water wheels:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It would be possible, though irritating, to move my ground-level intake pump north so that it no longer drains from the area the water wheels are (the brook flows south>north, so everything south of the pump is still 7/7).  Is there a better or easier solution?

Also, I don't remember this problem existing when I first set up the pump stack (I think I've had it up and running a year or two).  Is the shallow stuff somehow time-dependent, or related to the fact that the brook freezes?  Or do screw pumps just really drain that much water?

Thanks!

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Draining brook with one screw pump?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:37 pm »

Tileset?

(No helpful answer, sorry.  I'm Dwarven hydrophobic.)

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:43:28 pm »

Well what is the pump's output to? Could you redirect it upstream? Otherwise it probably really would be best just to make the pump downstream from the water wheels. With gear assemblies and huge axles it shouldn't be TOO problematic right?

A_S00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:53:34 pm »

The pump stack fuels a waterfall through my statue garden to make my dwarves happy.

The tileset is from http://artgoblin.pl/df.php

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:49 pm »

The pump stack fuels a waterfall through my statue garden to make my dwarves happy.

The tileset is from http://artgoblin.pl/df.php

Oh!  I thought that Mayday was on, er, hiatus.

Awesome, thanks!  I had switched to Phoebus but I never quite cared for it as much.