Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Starting Preferences?  (Read 6879 times)

sprawl15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Preferences?
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 02:27:52 pm »

I go pretty unimaginative/simple/inefficient.  Squeezing out an extra 30 points via cart deconstruction or spending the time to designate a Noah's Buffet (one meat of every animal) is more annoying than productive for me.

2x 5 miners
1x 5 woodcutter (with 1x each of leader/merchant appropriate skills, woodcutters get piles of downtime eventually)
1x 5 mason, (toggle on stonecrafting)
1x 5 carpenter (toggle on woodcrafting)
1x 5 grower
1x 5 cook, 5 brewer

In terms of items, I tend to only bring lots of food/drink (like 60 of each), two picks, a training axe, an anvil, pig tail seeds, and a bit of cave spider silk cloth/thread since I normally kick a cloth industry down the road a year or three.  Then a pair of cats (kittens as lures is pretty consistently useful), a male dog and male turkey, and at least 6 females of each dogs/turkeys.  I forget the exact numbers, as I have the setup saved. 

With the first few cut down trees I make external craftsdwarf, mason's, and carpenter's workshops.  Mason's goes to work making some blocks for future shops and some doors, carpenter starts working on beds, and the craftsdwarf shop makes large stone pots and a few nest boxes.  The first migrant wave usually hits at around the time I get proper bedrooms setup, and they fill any roles that are split (the first capable cook or brewer picks that labor up, while my original dwarf drops it) or rapidly necessary (mechanic).  I make sure to build a cage pretty early to vacuum up any kittens/puppies until they become adults.  Kittens/cats tend to end up as lures, food, or magma explorers.  The grower only grows half the year, so he's a prime hauler and oddjob worker the other half (he normally picks up a few ranks of mechanic, butcher, tanner, all steps of soap making, etc).

A lot of my build order depends heavily on what kind of metals are around; if iron/steel isn't easy to come by (or worse, if no decent military metals can be made and I don't have glass access), military production is kicked down the road as I will have to mine goblinite via disarming cage trapped ambushes.  If it's readily available, I'll have at least one furnace blasting away before the 2nd migrant wave.  If not, it might wait till the 4th wave to even get a furnace operator.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 03:25:15 pm »

Two Miners
One Woodcutter
One Carpenter
One Mason
One Mechanic
One Broker/Bookkeeper/Expedition Leader

I mostly use the standard array of gear, but bring some extra plump helmet spawn and the brain of every creature worth 2 embark points I can grab rather than normal meat.  if I need points, I'll sell the wheelbarrow, crutches, and splints, as well as the second battle axe.  I'll bring a male and two female dogs and a male and two female cats: vermin killing, enemy detection, and the start of a meat industry.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2013, 06:36:06 pm »

D1: 5 miner, 5 mason
D2: 5 miner, 2 appraisal, 2 judge of intent, 1 organizer
D3: 5 woodcutting, 5 carpentry
D4: 5 building designer, 5 architect
D5: 5 grower, 5 herbalist
D6: 5 brewer, 5 cook
D7: something random, usually glassmaking/pottery/craft skills

items:
2 copper picks
1 copper battleaxe
1 iron anvil
5 of each seed
20 of each booze
30-40 total meat worth 2 each
fill out rest of points with logs and stone

animals:
1 cow
4 dogs, 3 female
2 cats, 1 each
6 turkeys, 5 female

I find that I usually have extra points to burn at embark because pretty much everything that you can buy you can make pretty quick as soon as you arrive, and any useful skills like weaponsmithing and armorsmithing will a) rust to uselessness and b) be outclassed by migrants anyway by the time you use them. My goal for the first year is usually to build me a curtain wall giving me a 50x100 or so outdoor area, some basic workshops, an excess stock of 200 wood, extra stone, and a fully operational clothing industry (see migrants, above). After that, I usually try to drop a shaft to the magma sea and build a reactor core to power a pump stack to the surface, allowing me to set up magmaworks to provide unlimited glass, clay, and get rid of my reliance on fuel. Then I start working on a non-marksdwarf military. Then I usually get bored and abandon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]