Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Building Plan Plugin [Update: Auto allocate rooms to noble positions]  (Read 39708 times)

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building Plan Plugin: Now with material & quality filters
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 01:39:06 am »

I seem to be having some trouble.

Every piece of furniture that I try to place (bed, door, chest, cabinet, table, chair) goes to 'suspended', then never completes.

I have workflow stockpiling several of each, so it should be able toplace them, but can't.

Any thoughts anyone?

Save game here:
http://wrayth.com/region1.zip

Actually, the natural state of the pre-placed furniture is "suspended", but why dwarves aren't placing it after could be something else.   I can't try your save just now, but I'll tackle it this weekend if you are still having trouble.

Try the following:
-Look in the stocks screen, and find out how many beds you have available. Once you find an available one, zoom to it (can't remember the key, should be listed at the bottom), and ensure its actually accessible. For example, make sure that its not outside of any burrows you have set up, not marked as forbidden, not behind locked doors, etc. 

-check the quality of your built and waiting beds. Are they lower than the filter level you placed them with?  I use workflow in this same fashion, and I don't have any issues. What you are thinking should be possible in your save, so I don't think it's a bug.

-are you quantum stockpiling any of these items? Or are you shipping them around with minecarts? I have been using a fully automated quantum stockpile sorter with minecarts, and I noticed that after an item leaves a workshop, it's not usable until its dumped from the minecart at its destination, and some in game time has passed. I'm not sure if the game needs to "catch up" to realize I have free beds, or if beds and stuff aren't usable out of minecarts. Maybe build a new carpenter shop nearer to your bedrooms, and watch what happens with finished beds. Once they are built and sitting inside the workshop, they should be available for use with your building plan.

Post back with anything you find. Good luck!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:00 am »

Every piece of furniture that I try to place (bed, door, chest, cabinet, table, chair) goes to 'suspended', then never completes.

I have workflow stockpiling several of each, so it should be able toplace them, but can't.

Any thoughts anyone?

Save game here:

Sounds like the same issue i had, i had to remove all my designations and the re-place them. I'll check your save to confirm.

Edit: Possibly is the same issue. I had like 70 objects stuck, but when falconne loaded it up on his machine they started working immediately. I loaded up your game, and they started working immidiately too and placed your beds. Odd, mine got stuck on bedroom objects also, a co-incident?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:40:13 am by Intrinsic »
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Wrayth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:18 am »

Any thoughts anyone?

Save game here:

Sounds like the same issue i had, i had to remove all my designations and the re-place them. I'll check your save to confirm.

Edit: Possibly is the same issue. I had like 70 objects stuck, but when falconne loaded it up on his machine they started working immediately. I loaded up your game, and they started working immidiately too and placed your beds. Odd, mine got stuck on bedroom objects also, a co-incident?

Really strange... I'll try again when I get home.

I've tested even turning off planning to place items, and they work.

To answer the previous post; I had no quality filters on most. I also ensured I had more than enough stock.

When I get home, I'll test again and reply here -- thank you very much for the feedback guys.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 03:40:15 am »

Yeah unfortunately when I tried your save everything worked correctly too... the beds and doors started getting allocated. I hate this kind of bug. Let me know what happens when you reload your save the next time you play. If it's fixed itself when you reload the save at least there's some consistence there. If not then it's even more freaky.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 07:00:19 am »

first of all, great work on the plugins, they're immensely helpful! i've been trying out the modest/accelerated mod as well, and i'm getting a crash to desktop now too. i disabled the dfhack plugins one by one, and sure enough it's this plugin that's causing the crashes.

here's a save that crashes about 30 seconds after resuming. going down a few levels from the surface you'll see a set of rooms with chests, beds, cabinets and doors all set with the planner.

i think it may have to do with the modded version having overhauled and merged the stone and wood types, but i'm not sure.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:39:29 pm by splinterz »

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 02:47:01 pm »

Thanks, that's very useful. I'll debug it when I get home. It will be good to finally figure out exactly what the plugin doesn't like about the mod.

Edit: Just uploaded a new version that should fix that crash in modest/accelerated mod.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:55:57 am by falconne »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 05:24:04 am »

May I ask what exactly the problem was? Anything I have to look out for when using this in a modded DF?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:19 am »

I'm still not entirely sure... one of the planned buildings in Splinterz' save was configured in a slightly different way that my plugin didn't expect. I changed the code to handle it. I can't imagine how that building got placed that way. The symptom implies that a call to one of the DFHack core functions I make returned an unexpected value while the building was placed. Unfortunately it's too late to investigate after the fact. It only seemed to have affected one planned chest he had placed, even though he'd placed many other planned chests and other furniture just fine. It was odd.

I would say it's a good idea to update your copy in Masterwork in your next update. I don't think it's a common occurrence as no one has reported an actual crash from this plugin before... so I don't think you need to be super urgent about it, but best update soon as it's convenient.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 07:53:41 pm »

A little while back someone mentioned to me that the planning mode can't be used with QuickFort, because QF expects a material selection screen to show up. It seemed like a good idea to make the plugin compatible with it, because then you can use QF without having to wait till your furniture was built and not have to use the experimental material selection option in QF (which needs available furniture).

I made the plugin work with QF shortly after, but didn't post anything about it, so figured I should get around to it.

There's an option when you're in planning mode to enable QF support. It sets the mode globally and also turns on planning mode for all furniture. This seems appropriate for QF. As you know, by default the material filter is set to "any material, any quality". You can go through the furniture placement options and add specific filters for certain items before running QF, if you wish.

What I do is I make a dummy screen appear after Enter is pressed to place a planned building. QF will assume that's the materials selection screen and send an Enter or Shift-Enter key, which my plugin will catch and return to the building selection menu. This should emulate vanilla behaviour and will allow QF to place planned buildings with your selected filters.

There is one caveat though. On some machines you may need to increase the macro keystroke delay setting. QF recommends you set this to "0" and on my machine everything works fine when using QF with planning mode at this setting, so try that first. However, having a dfhack screen in the middle of things seem to complicate matters, so if you find that QF gets out of sync and gets stuck, try increasing this setting, say to 15ms then 30ms. It may depend on your CPU speed.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 07:39:19 am »

Would it be possible to extend this so that you can place buildings on undug tiles (maybe only on undug tiles which are designated for digging to have a bit more safety)? That way you could designate rooms for digging and plan their furniture in one go.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 02:57:02 am »

Would it be possible to extend this so that you can place buildings on undug tiles (maybe only on undug tiles which are designated for digging to have a bit more safety)? That way you could designate rooms for digging and plan their furniture in one go.

That's possible and will probably make QuickFort even easier to use, but it will take a bit of work so I'll put it on the list to look at when I have time. The reason being that since I can't actually get DF to place the building on an undug tile, I have to have new logic to allow the plugin to track these future buildings, logic to overlay them on the map display, ability to find/modify them, monitoring for the tile to become free, etc.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 07:53:15 am »

since I can't actually get DF to place the building on an undug tile, I have to have new logic to allow the plugin to track these future buildings, logic to overlay them on the map display, ability to find/modify them, monitoring for the tile to become free, etc.

Oh, are you using DF's building placement mechanism? I was assuming (didn't look at your sourcecode) that you already manually create building objects and add them to the list. If your figure out how to do that it should not be necessary to care about map display and such things because the DF map is surprisingly robust when it comes to situations which are impossible without hacking. You can, for example, undig the tiles of a room (using tiletypes) and the furniture will still be displayed, it's possible to flag it for removal, assign owners etc.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 03:25:44 am »

I've made a minor update: planned doors were being placed as non-pet-passable. They now get built as pet-passable.

Oh, are you using DF's building placement mechanism? I was assuming (didn't look at your sourcecode) that you already manually create building objects and add them to the list. If your figure out how to do that it should not be necessary to care about map display and such things because the DF map is surprisingly robust when it comes to situations which are impossible without hacking. You can, for example, undig the tiles of a room (using tiletypes) and the furniture will still be displayed, it's possible to flag it for removal, assign owners etc.

No I am allocating the building directly, so I expect I can force allocate it on an undug tile if I ignore constraints. But I'd need to do a lot of testing to make sure that doesn't cause any problems. The display still needs to be considered since I expect DF won't display the dig designation when there's a building on the tile... plus added complications of what to do if the dig designation gets cancelled, etc. For now I'd put that in the "too hard" bucket but maybe someone else might have a go at it sometime :)

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 10:16:54 pm »

i don't think this is specific to building plan but i hope you guys can help.

I'm struggling with macros, df and building planner
I turn on building planner and enable quickfort mode which turns building planner on for all items
then i run a macro, converted from a csv file using qfconverter that fills out 5 bedrooms

sometimes the macro works, sometimes it doesn't, when it doesn't it seems to hit keys which disable quickfort mode in building planner or miss cursor movement keys so it would be out of place
it doesn't even fail reliably, just randomly each time, missing out on different pieces of furniture

thinking this is timing related, (i have MACRO_MS set to 0 as recommended in the wiki for linux), i play with the MACRO_MS setting 0, 3, 5, 15 all with the same effect.
sometimes it works well, then i go do something else, wait for my miners to dig some more rooms then go back and it doens't work again...

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:42 pm »

Yes it will be to do with timing. See a few posts up where I introduce the QF functionality. For me everything works even on MACRO_MS at 0, but I think it depends on CPU speed.

You should try increasing your MACRO_MS setting in units of 30. Try 30, 60, 90... if it's still a problem maybe jump to 150. These are milliseconds, so it's not a big delay.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4