Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Building Plan Plugin [Update: Auto allocate rooms to noble positions]  (Read 39553 times)

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Download.
Link contains download archive with all my plugins.
Only works on the latest DFHack r3 (see the dfhack thread). Follow the instructions in the included readme for installation. The relevant file for just this plugin is buildingplan.plug.*

This plugin let's you place "furniture" (e.g. beds, chairs, weapon stands, etc) even if you don't have any available items of the type yet. The plugin will allow you to place the building anyway, which it keeps in a "construction suspended" state. It will then monitor these planned buildings (once every half a game day) and assign them appropriate items when they become available, resuming the construction.

It also lets you auto assign specified rooms to noble positions. See this post for details.

The functionality (off by default) can be toggled on for each type of furniture individually. When you are in "Build" mode for a furniture item, you will see an option to toggle this functionality for the session:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When this option is on, the placement cursor will be enabled even if you lack the required item. Pressing Enter will place the building without taking you to the material selection menu. The functionality is available even if you do have available items for the building; this allows you to do things like furnish several rooms quickly... the plugin will automatically choose appropriate items in its next cycle.

When placing a building in plan mode, you can set various filters for the type of item chosen:

'q' cycles through quality levels (except artefact - the plugin ignores all artefact items) to specify a minimum quality. 'd' allows you to restrict to encrusted items only. 'm' takes you to a material selection screen similar to the one in my workflow UI. With no materials selected the plugin will choose any suitable item when it's available; you can restrict it to using specific materials from this screen:

The selection screen should be fairly self explanatory. You can select from major categories on the left column or specific materials on the right. Use Enter toggles selections. The materials column will filter based on category selections... when no category is selected it displays all materials. You can select multiple categories/materials; the plugin will pick an item that matches any of your selections. When you are in the second column, you can filter the list by typing in a search query. In this column, search mode is always active, so you don't have to press 's' to use it like in my Search plugin for other screens, you just start typing. Shift-s will still clear the search:

Shift-c (capital C) will clear all selections - an easy way to get back to square one.

Remember to press Shift-Enter to save the selection and leave the screen. Esc will discard your changes.

There is a special case for Coffers/Chests: when you place them in plan mode it will only choose coffers or chests, never bags. Also there is a caveat when it comes to assigning items when they become available: for a given planned building the plugin chooses the item that is closest in straight line distance, but doesn't check for accessibility (i.e. that a dwarf is able to bring the item to the construction site). That would require implementing A* pathfinding for DF which is not a task I'm ready to tackle yet. I expect it would be rare that close by items are inaccessible (you would need a situation like having the building site completely sealed off), but if it does happen, you'll see one of those "Dwarves couldn't complete the building" announcements and the building will be cancelled.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:03:00 am by falconne »
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building Plan Plugin: Place furniture before it's built
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:47:57 am »

This sounds like another awesome plugin, and defeats another one of my nagging issues with Dwarf Fortress!  I love planning my rooms out in advance, and this sounds like a great way to do it!

Thanks for this, I'll be happy to report my findings when I play this weekend.

Edit: Testing: FANTASTIC!  I plotted a whole floor of bedrooms, and it worked perfectly.  This may be a personal preference, but is it possible to have the plugin default back to 'off' when leaving the placement menu?  Currently, the enabled/disabled flag sees to stick between placements sessions 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:06:37 am by Dragoon209 »
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

multiple_migs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:02:08 am »

this looks brilliant and i can't wait to try it out... i hope a similar mechanic is worked into the vanilla game as i feel like many people like to pre-plan room layouts and the current system makes that a bit of a chore. thanks!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 06:50:07 pm »

falconne did i ever mention that i love you

ZNAG1066

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:46:58 pm »

This is my new favorite mod!!!! :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:54:51 am »

You are inventing the most useful plugins :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:05:40 am »

I'm now able to set quality, material and decoration filters for the planned buildings.

Before I upload the new version, would anyone be willing to to help me test it? If a couple of people were to give it a whirl and find no problems I'd be more confident.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building Plan Plugin: Now with material & quality filters
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:11:07 am »

I have uploaded the latest version with material and quality filters. Please see the updated first post for details.

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:01 pm »

Falconne. You are a god among mortals. Please never stop your plugin crafting. All of them deserve a masterwork rating.

Thank you
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:46:46 pm »

This is absolutely lovely.  Thank you.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 06:21:52 am »

All your plugins are awesome and useful, and this is making my dining room and housing a lot easier :)
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:38 am »

Just got this, not sure how useful it is to you though :)

Faulting application name: Dwarf Fortress.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fcc9488
Faulting module name: buildingplan.plug.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5100d781
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000048e3
Faulting process id: 0x908
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce100ccf6893cf
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Dwarf Fortress\AMM-Ironhand 34.11\Dwarf Fortress.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Games\Dwarf Fortress\AMM-Ironhand 34.11\hack\plugins\buildingplan.plug.dll

I am using the Accelerated Modest Mod.

I had just placed a weapon rack and armour stand in a room for my new sheriff which weren't in stock at all using planning mode, and set 2 of each to be made at my masons. I unpaused and a second or two later this happened.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 05:01:33 am »

Hmm... I can't reproduce that. However, looking at Accelerated Modest Mod that seems to be a fairly significant mod... some of my plugins may need to be compiled specifically for that, since the material types have changed/reduced.

Can you reproduce the crash? If so send me a PM and I'll grab your save game so I can debug it with the same steps.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:20 am »

Unable to reproduce atm, just a random event it seems.

Wrayth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:06:16 pm »

I seem to be having some trouble.

Every piece of furniture that I try to place (bed, door, chest, cabinet, table, chair) goes to 'suspended', then never completes.

I have workflow stockpiling several of each, so it should be able toplace them, but can't.

Any thoughts anyone?

Save game here:
http://wrayth.com/region1.zip
Pages: [1] 2 3 4