Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen help  (Read 688 times)

OverlordTNT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worldgen help
« on: January 18, 2013, 09:23:00 am »

Hello!

So, worldgen noob here. I am trying to create a hodgepodge messy world here. What i did was remove all "minimum number of x"  parameters(by that i mean they're all 0), set temperature range from -1000 to 1000, and changed temp x-y variance to their maximums(i also set minimum savagery to 100.) It rejects the worlds, however, when it gets to civ-gen. always, without exception.I'm playing on masterwork df, with about a third of the Fortress defence races on(all agricultural civs are off). Here's my parameters. can anyone help?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:37:11 am »

First, let me give you a few suggestions. I think I know what you mean by "messy", but I'm not totally sure.

Set all your "X/Y Variance" options to 1000, which is a little less than 1/3 of the max, if I remember right. This will make it so that the possible variation is very high - but it keeps it from being TOO high, because we didn't set it to 3200. Setting all of these values to the max makes it impossible to gen.
At the bottom of the list, you should see a page of "minimum X count" stuff. Set it all to 0/none. This is to cut down on rejections.
Go back up and get to the minimum initial wetland/hills/forest/ocean etc. region/square count, and set all those to 0. This is also to cut down on rejections.
Set the Maximum Number of Subregions as high as it gets - I think 5000. This will give you the variance you desire.
Edit: looking at what you posted, it looks like you did all that already.

In a minute, I may upload a pic for illustration.

Also, heyaa. I'm pretty sure I remember you from Spearbreakers.

Edit: Your 100 volcanoes flashes a red flag for me. Volcanoes are difficult to place, unless you manipulate the mesh.

Here's the pic, fresh from worldgen.
Be aware that smaller maps can potentially be a LOT messier, as you can safely max the variance values with them:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:00:11 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:09:32 pm »

Try this:

A few things that I've observed (in vanilla 34.11, ymmv)
Given you're playing fortress mode, a larger world doesn't really gain you anything. It just takes longer to load, save, and generate.
Generally speaking, there's no point in having a larger number of Civs beyond 6.  That's how many entries are in entity_default, and duplicate civs of the same type won't visit any more often, annually.  In other words, you can have 10,000 goblins, but you only get sieged once per season, because there is only ever one goblin "civilization" unless you  modify the raws.
If you increase the site cap and pop cap values too high, you just end up with a ridiculously long worldgen which, 99% of the time, isn't fun.
A 'hodgepodge messy' world (if I understand what you mean by that) is primarily created by having sufficient Variance on Elevation, Rainfall, Temperature, Drainage, Savagery, and Volcanism.  This creates hundreds or thousands of regions/biomes all mixed up together.  This will lead to considerably more un-flat embarks, as a consequence.
Dwarves only need mountainous biome that is non-savage.  If you have minimum savagery at 100, you will never be able to place the dwarven civilization, because all biomes are savage, and dwarves need non-savage.
The easiest way to ensure dwarves get their mountains is with the Elevation Weighted Range settings, ensuring that at least 10% of the world will be ~360 elevation.  Contrary to popular belief, the initial mountainhome does not require peaks, just mountains.
Having a large number of megabeast caves, semi-megabeast caves, and mountainous caves has a few caveats.  You can't have more than one titan per region, as far as I know.  That is, if you set the worldgen parameter for titans to 1000, but only have 100 regions in your world, you will get at most 100 titans.  I'm not sure if that applies for semi-megabeast and megabeasts as well, as they are, i believe, limited more by their caves.
I've not read any !!science!! related to semi-megabeast/megabeast placement, migration and concurrency.  Forgotten beasts, i believe, are generated based on the number of underground regions.
The worldgen above generates without error/rejections, and all Variances are at 3200.  It also generates a very large number of regions/biomes, which can be fun. :)
A typical population for that worldgen is:

Civilized World Population

241 Dwarves
   440 Humans
   435 Elves
   10281 Goblins
   235 Kobolds

Total: 21632

If any of that is unclear, let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate.

OverlordTNT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:31:10 pm »

Ahem. The reason i have the min civs up so high is because i have dozens of mod civs.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:53:29 pm »

The world images you see in my pics were genned in my RandCreatures folder, the current gen of which added 15 races. It's not quite "dozens," but I think you'll be fine.

Very informative, Vjek. :thumbup:
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

OverlordTNT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 08:06:48 am »

aghaghaghaghaghaghagh! i've turned off all agricultural civs and it's still rejecting. help?