Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Release the .... militia?  (Read 2029 times)

wilhelm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Release the .... militia?
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:17:35 am »

Yes I Plan to arm most if not every dwarf in fort with something, be it a cat leather armor, to steel breastplate to a copper dagger from a gobbo or a steel sword(well maybe not a steel sword), I plan to turn my fort into bomb keg waiting to be set alight(aka dead cat). erm

My plan is not have them run around killing Titans and Forgotten Beast, but to protect little drunks from themselves and outside world, and my hope is that armor I make them wear and puny weapon I give'em, will save them from being turn into dwarf goo too fast before the real "Dwarven Military" show up.
Oh and to throw less useful of the lot into the meatgrinder if I erm I need to, *cough* they are replaceable, it like i need all those engravers and fisherdwarfs.

So what do to yall think, it gonna be hell to arm my dwarfs since only metal I have so far found is silver

Plan~ish
Steel armor for all
Iron/steel for real Military
Silver for peasants

Ps I plan to turn cavern 1 into my livestock grazing land, with epic walls going on all way to roof of the cavern

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Release the .... militia?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:46:51 am »

You find that they're worthless. Apart from helmets which 'may' protect against some mishaps, dwarven armour without skill in combat and the like equals to them being screwed in any combat outside of wildlife. And that's assuming that its non cavern wildlife at that:D

I mean seriously, when Kobold dagger can stab through freaking breastplate...........

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:52:16 am »

Silver warhammers are extremely effective weapons. High density metal means big damage.

The biggest advantage you have in combat defensively comes from shield use. A good shield stops far more blows than a set of armor. Of course, training is needed for it to be most effective.

I usually separate my fortress into a male military and a female fortress guard. Ideally I have the males in steel or adamantine and melee weapons, the females with bronze or iron and trained with a crossbow. My strategy is usually 8 man squads for the males, with two hammers, two axes, two spears and two short swords. It's a lot of effort to set up, but once you're done it means invasions are quickly countered.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:12:33 am »

I would give them a weapon and a shield but not a full suit of armor. Armor weighs too much and would slow your untrained dwarves too much. I have done something similar with xbows and that worked great.

wilhelm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:04 am »

and the Militia has their 1st victory, a Epic battle with a Titan Ase Innuegesh Almefalho a flying amber monster
i had a large number of hunter out and they join in the battle to, *cough* useless *cough*
unable to get all my dwarfs into fort before attack, i did only thing a leader would do, send his 3 miners out armed with their picks to kill the monster, and while this was going on minor battle broke out with gobbo thieves as they try to get into my fort, all and all a really grand battle with dwarf punches that broke amber! and batting of titan spit with a pick

Opening of the battle
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Climax of the battle

Ending of the battle
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:15:44 am by wilhelm »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 10:07:13 am »

I mean seriously, when Kobold dagger can stab through freaking breastplate...........

I think the idea is that the dagger doesnt penetrate the armor, its more like the kobold strikes between the plates. Either because the dwarf doesnt know how to properly wear the armor, leaving open spots, or s/he doesnt have the skill to block it with the plates.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:48:27 am »

By the 3rd or 4th year of my forts I draft *all* the dwarves into squads.  First, it lets me put selected clothing and armor on them as well as a weapon and shield.  I can then start them on at least minimal training in the use of the weapons, physical training to improve stats, and archery range practice for the reserve marksdwarves (which there are a lot of.)

A few years later I have a fortress of dwarves with enough skill to have a chance against wildlife, non-elite goblins, etc.  And since they carry their shield and wear armor when they work there is a chance they will survive if they are outside and get jumped by a goblin ambush.  (All they have to do is run away long enough for garrison unit to show up.  And that has worked out in multiple cases.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

wilhelm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 12:02:03 pm »

Miners' Militia work well even completely naked, my 3 miner destroyed gobbo siege of mainly lashers, for lose 2 noncombat dwarfs

on side note just learn i set my bridge wrong

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 04:57:28 pm »

I think the idea is that the dagger doesnt penetrate the armor, its more like the kobold strikes between the plates. Either because the dwarf doesnt know how to properly wear the armor, leaving open spots, or s/he doesnt have the skill to block it with the plates.

That and the Kobolds'll be striking upwards. It's like the Romans fighting the Celts all over again... Sort of.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 05:50:10 pm »

This would work if all those totally unskilled reservists took a turn (even a brief one) in a Danger Room.  Whether they had their weapons equipped or not, they'd get armor user and dodger... enough to live for the real troops to bail them out.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.