Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which Mod for Adventure mode???  (Read 2802 times)

Maximiliator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which Mod for Adventure mode???
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:10:28 pm »

Okay, i tried out vanilla DF adventure mode, and rapidly stopped due to lack of several things (like steel and other cities than humans). I also tried the "Masterwork" mod with adventure mode. I really liked it with all the new items and stuff to find. But my first quest by a FARMER sent me to kill a water dragon (gigantic). The life of my adventurer was short. So i read some more, and someone wrote it is actually not made for adventure mode. I really enjoy the challenge and FUN of adventure mode and want to have the best experience possible. Thats why i have the following question:

Which MOD offers the best adventure mode experience?

I pray someone knows that ! What i am more or less looking for: many different weapons/materials, other cities than humans to explore, lots of questing.

Best regards;

Max

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Which Mod for Adventure mode???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:55:47 pm »

Other cities can't be added by modding, but they're coming in the next version of DF, which is coming out in 2-12 months from now. Quests can't be modified either, but there will be more of those in the next version of Dwarf Fortress as well.

I would suggest Fear the Night, SPARKING!!!!!, and Wanderer's Friend if you want smaller mods.

For full packages, Genesis Mod is probably your best bet for Adventurer. Post-Apocalypse is pretty good, too. Fortbent is fun right now, but incomplete and nigh incomprehensible to non-homestucks.

Of course, I'm not exactly a big expert on playing mods :P. It's all very subjective, but Genesis has had the best experience with me.

OH! Actually, Dwarf Chocolate is also very good for adventurer mode. Just remembered that one.

Maximiliator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:21:33 pm »

i am interested in Genesis mod. i have read some stuff about it and i think i like it. But is it compatible for adventurer mode? I am going to try it out. Any other suggestions and opinions are welcome here!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »

It's pretty much fine-tuned for adventure mode.

You get crafting (X button), you get animal venoms (butcher different animals for venom glands, press them into waterskins, coat weapons with venoms), you get adventure mode classes (you can play as a barbarian, magician, vagabond, necromancer and treasure hunter outsiders, they all have their unique abilities).

And the most important thing that I included is Rumrusher's custom Companion Order dfhack plugin.

When you play adventure mode, press CTRL-C to equip/unequip and order around your companions. It changes the way adventure mode is played, you can have custom outfitted war parties.

The amount of races also helps the fun, and there're some nasty megabeasts to kill out there. Like, five types of dragons and other terrific beasts, all with unique spells and abilities.

Don't forget to put 1 point in Reader skill, there are new secrets besides necromancy which you can learn.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:48:17 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Maximiliator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:16:34 pm »

wow ! Thank you so much Deon ! You just saved my life ! I was on the brink of desperation :D

Did you make the Genesis mod?

If it really delivers the fun i expect i would even gladly donate  :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:27:49 pm »

We mod makers don't make money on Toady's creation, mods are for fun! And yeah I've made it, feel free to suggest stuff and I will see if I can make it in. There's a thread for the mod in this forum.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Maximiliator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 08:14:25 pm »

@Deon: could you please explain how exactly to outfit my companions? If i push C+CTRL i get the menu, but i cannot seem to make them pick up or wear anything. Thank you !

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:35:36 am »

You should move them on a tile with an item for them to pick it up. You can also make them to wear that if it's a piece of an armor. Experiment, it's easy to get.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬