Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 72

Author Topic: You are a new God OOC thread.  (Read 103878 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God OOC thread.
« Reply #405 on: January 23, 2013, 04:50:25 pm »

We should wait until we know how effective our missionary was before sending out more.
When did we sent a missionery? IMO, we gave a boon to the priest and never sent him away
We sent him with the latest caravan to Ceres, it was our third one, and it should come back in a couple of days. When he comes back, I agree that we should send off more if he was successful.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:52:47 pm by Remuthra »

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #406 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:34 pm »

If we're worried about losing track of time, just tell someone to contact the afterlife with the Tree of Fire once the 8 hours are up.

brilliant idea.
Indeed.

I concur.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 23, 2013, 05:03:03 pm »

Snipping:

A) oh, silly me, i thought that was what MILITARY COMMANDERS were for.
They may be the nominal leaders and the planners, but the stems may listen better to Plant Booners, if they understand most mortals' voices at all.

B) The plants we already have grow in a day already, any more plants we make (probably variations of the melons) will also grow in a day. they also expand and spread very rapidly too. point is null and void.
Any evidence? It seems to me that the first crop grew "within a day" because it was being majicked into existence and that further generations of our plants have grown at a more or less normal rate. Besides, even if that's true, being able to raise 5 crops in a day is 400% better than raising one crop in a day.

C)What infrastructure would that be? Roads? already have enough of them. Shroom buildings? noone less than potent booner can do that effectively. I also think that to create a road of reasonable quality would need at least potent boon and a lot of skill too.
Oh, I dunno...walls made of bush?
And you don't need to be able to make something to fix or improve it.

D) Fair point, although i'm not sure what more they could learn about plants. they arent exactly complex organisms tat have their own habits.....
Ha.
Ah ha ha.
You don't know much about plants, do you?

E) Our people ARE important. Everything we are doing is to protect them or make their life better.
Which doesn't change the fact that they're probably feeling increasingly useless.

F) I Sorta think thats the job of the priesthood (which i assume currently consists of Azula and Eldrich) not farmers.
So? Showing outsiders that even peasants get magical powers would show how kind, loving, and powerful we are.

H) Oh, silly me, i though that was the reason we were building an ARMY. Dragons, Chaos Golems, Firedrakes, Giant Spiders, Saps/Stems etc etc etc. In Short, we would be relying on them, not booned people.
I) See H.
Armies can'r protect against every threat...especially when your "army" is mostly a bunch of strong creatures.

-snip about animal industry
Once we get the critters for that sort of stuff, we can give Life Boons relating to zoological matters rather than botanical ones. I thought that was obvious.

You know what your problem kahn1234?. You are making vague assumptions and then act like they are 100% proven fact.  Like the one that  plant booners can only do very minor things (while Eldrick made bushes from nothing, mid combat, in seconds) or that it's cheap to increase the afterlife.
Eldrich made small bushes tat tripped his enemies. He only made three and nearly ended up getting gutted multiple times. and anyway, what was the point of creating an army if we decide to just use booned humans?
1. Those trips? Helped prevent him from actually getting gutted.
2. The booned humans won't make up our entire military, don't exaggerate.

I assume its cheap to increase the size of the afterlife because once the base of something is made (whether in real life or fantasy) it is much easier to build FROM it and expand it, as all the hard work (or at least most of the hard work) is done in the initial creation.
"Hm. We already built a house here, and it only cost a few thousand dollars. Let's build a metropolis--the hardest part's done! It'll probably only cost a couple thousand more!"
If we were doubling the size of the afterlife, this would be a reasonable assumption. As it is? It isn't.

And is extremely hypocritical of you to berate me for assumptions when you are ASSUMING that it will be costly to expand the afterlife and you are ASSUMING that boons will hold any significant sway over the battlefield. Look at Mahers major boon equipped priests? they got slaughtered when they came up against real resistance. The same would happen to us as we know fuck all about the armies of our enemies.
1. A bit hypocritical.
2. The entire army was created by those booned priests, so...
3. A major part of the resistance? Our own two booned people. And Tiberius, but Azula and Eldrick also played vital roles.

EDIT: And before you even mention the Justicars, they were no doubt elite soldiers in the first place, with batle experience from the EoT's wars against our Chaotic Predecessors. They still got hammered by Laskus and Tiberius. Whereas our two major/potent booned 'priests'? nearly sliced and diced multiple times.
Bear in mind that Tiberius and Laskus are a bit more than a guy with a boon...

after giving it thought I guess this is also why I am opposed to trying to making the stems into a full fledged race.
with stems becoming followers... that 'protection urge' would also move onto them. and we would have to make a new army. (or bite the bullet and accept that we'll have followers and souls in the fire zone)
Which is why I, at least, suggest making a new race rather than making Stems into one (among other reasons).

About livestock, I don't feel the need to go into that. We more or less have a plant/insect/(lizard)/(and mole thing...) thing going on. and I would simply love to keep things focussed around that. we can fill traditional farming aspects with a plant/chaos alternative (like we did with the blood melons)

I really don't care about what is more powerfull or not. I just care about what makes sense.

edit: and yes, I do realise that what makes sense is highly subjective ;)
I'm just trying to outline my thoughts.
You know what makes sense to me? A diverse economy. Sure, not until we have more than a few dozen followers, but eventually...

How about if we were to try to expand the afterlife, but have hard limits on it? Something like only spending 50 mana or 8 hours, whichever comes first. Then, if it isn't big enough, we'll at least have a better idea of how hard it is.

If we're worried about losing track of time, just tell someone to contact the afterlife with the Tree of Fire once the 8 hours are up.
While there's no way we'll agree on the specifics, I agree that this is a great idea.

but they won't get as much xp from it because it's shared between them.
Lol, what a brilliant example of PC game logic
Making a shroom = get X XP... If 5 people raise a shroom they get X\5 XP
I am loling hard.
The truth is that experience is based on intelligence\talent,  hours of practice, education and relative difficulty of solved problems
But Mr. Ranger, this IS a game! And all games have to have stupidly simple mechanics for XP!

Laksus was not a booned servant, he was one of Maher's lieutenants, just like Tiberius. 
We may ask Laksus, but as I see he was just a powergungry vampire who decided to worship Laksus for power and got boons. Most likely, he is not Maher's creation
More relevantly: Laskus's awesome was in part due to the boon Maher gave him.

As far as the melons and shrooms go, we have plenty of housing and food, so we don't need to speedgrow them.
Even if that's true ( Our food demand is raising due to spiders\firedrakes\dragons and food is a pretty nice trade good. And more shrooms may be raised for some luxorious, economical or industrial purposes) we can always  send some booned as missionaries in Cares ( sure, homeless would be grateful for a shroom, even if minor booned will need a week to raise it)  or help allies. But as I said there are many jobs that can't be done fully (improving the rose bush, beautification, making roads better, teaching kids, upgrading stems to saps and beyond)
Or evangelization.

Lol, what a brilliant example of PC game logic
Making a shroom = get X XP... If 5 people raise a shroom they get X\5 XP
I am loling hard.
Considering this is a game, and is in fact even being done on a PC, it's a good assumption to make.
See above sarcasm. Not all games are alike. Heck, this one might not even have individualized XP as a concept!

I trust our booners to have their own brains on finding what to do
And that's a difference between us, you see our worshipers as a managenerators and direct subjects. I see them as our friends, they provide us with mana, we gratefully repay them for it
I see it as a mutualistic relationship. Our people have a duty to provide us with mana and a workforce. We have a duty to protect our worshippers and that means doing what will help everyone most.
And helping agriculture isn't helpful...?

Even if that's true ( Our food demand is raising due to spiders\firedrakes\dragons and food is a pretty nice trade good. And more shrooms may be raised for some luxorious, economical or industrial purposes) we can always  send some booned as missionaries in Cares ( sure, homeless would be grateful for a shroom, even if minor booned will need a week to raise it)  or help allies. But as I said there are many jobs that can't be done fully (improving the rose bush, beautification, making roads better, teaching kids, upgrading stems to saps and beyond)
Booned will always  have a job, even without our orders
1. We have enough food now, and our bloodmelons will continue to spread, likely growing with our animal population. If not, we can deal with it when we actually know we have a problem. 2. Homeless? What homeless? We have housing to spare. 3.We should wait until we know how effective our missionary was before sending out more. 4. Our current booner isn't fully occupied. 5. Life booned will have more impact when we have something valuable to grow; food isn't that valuable. 6. How can unskilled booners teach kids?
1. Assumptions. Besides, at some point we're going to be expanding faster than our bloodmelons can grow...
2. The people that will hopefully be flocking to us, or who we build homes for to evangelize?
3. Opinion. Either way doesn't change the general facts.
4. Fair point.
5. Heh heh. Here I thought it was required for life...
6. ...By getting boons and the skills they learn by using them, which can't be learned any other way?

Damn, I said that it's sarcasm...
That may be, but it was misplaced sarcasm. I never suggested stripping anyone of their boons, I support adding a few new booners. And I think you may be confusing me with kahn.
He said he was aiming it at kahn, who (seemingly) believes that boons are useless so we shouldn't give more to conserve mana. UkRa was providing a way to be even more economical with our mana.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 23, 2013, 05:35:14 pm »

So? Showing outsiders that even peasants get magical powers would show how kind, loving, and powerful we are.
We simply can't afford to give everyone boons. Nice if we could, but we can't.

You know what makes sense to me? A diverse economy. Sure, not until we have more than a few dozen followers, but eventually...
+1

But Mr. Ranger, this IS a game! And all games have to have stupidly simple mechanics for XP!
All games may not, but it's still doesn't make sense if having more people sharing the same task, thus decreasing the amount of work for each of them, would get the same amount of xp from it as if they were alone.

More relevantly: Laskus's awesome was in part due to the boon Maher gave him.
We still don't know that Maher gave him a boon.

And helping agriculture isn't helpful...?
It is only minorly helpful, when we could do something more helpful with the mana. If we had a sort of cash crop, then it would be more helpful, because we could buy more things with it.

1. Assumptions. Besides, at some point we're going to be expanding faster than our bloodmelons can grow...
2. The people that will hopefully be flocking to us, or who we build homes for to evangelize?
3. Opinion. Either way doesn't change the general facts.
4. Fair point.
5. Heh heh. Here I thought it was required for life...
6. ...By getting boons and the skills they learn by using them, which can't be learned any other way?
1. Not random assumptions. We have enough food now, or else we would have someone saying "we don't have enough food!" The bloodmelons also do not grow many seeds, so it's reasonable that they haven't maxed their growth yet. We may have enough food later, or we may not, depending on the relative growth rates, but there's no point in addressing that unless we know it needs to be addressed.
2. We can put Eldrick on that, and as for evangelism, there are probably better ways to do that than littering other gods' towns with giant mushrooms.
3. Not an opinion. Fact: We do not know how effective evangelism with that boon is. Assumption: It is better to know something works before doing it en masse.
6. The children (mage children), not the people with the boon. And you can't teach if you have no skill in it, what would you teach then?

He said he was aiming it at kahn, who (seemingly) believes that boons are useless so we shouldn't give more to conserve mana. UkRa was providing a way to be even more economical with our mana.
Still not me who believes boons are useless, so I confirm that.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 23, 2013, 06:03:40 pm »

We simply can't afford to give everyone boons. Nice if we could, but we can't.
We can't? We can grant every villager with major boon and still have mana profit. (100+) This isn't practical. But surely we can afford that
And we aren't talking about giving boons to everyone (I considered that, but it has drawbacks and anyone is against so I abandoned that long ago)

We still don't know that Maher gave him a boon.
Then what was that lightning jumps? 99% that it's a boon. 1% is that it's a permanent modification (that's even costlier then boons)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 23, 2013, 06:09:53 pm »

We can't? We can grant every villager with major boon and still have mana profit. (100+) This isn't practical. But surely we can afford that
And we aren't talking about giving boons to everyone (I considered that, but it has drawbacks and anyone is against so I abandoned that long ago)
We could afford it in a theoretical sense, but reducing our mana income that much is a Very Bad ThingTM.

Then what was that lightning jumps? 99% that it's a boon. 1% is that it's a permanent modification (that's even costlier then boons)
I assumed it was a part of his original creation, like the fact that new Laksus can regenerate. It doesn't say either way, so the point is moot.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 23, 2013, 06:13:19 pm »

Yep, that muchis unpractical.  But 4 minor and 2 major that's - 16 mana. It's like 5% of all our daily mana income.

Don't pretend that it's  huge expense
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 23, 2013, 06:15:24 pm »

Yep, that muchis unpractical.  But 4 minor and 2 major that's - 16 mana. It's like 5% of all our daily mana income.

I'm fine with that, although we should probably vary the boons given.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #413 on: January 23, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »

1 minor fire, 2 minor life, 1 minor chaos, 1 major life, 1 major fire.

That sound good?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:26 pm »

That sound good?
Good for me.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 23, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »

That sound good?
Good for me.

I'd remove the minor chaos and make it an extra minor fire.

I believe we discussed Chaos boons a while ago. if I recall correctly it gravitated around chaos being a tricky thing and only to be given with great care.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 23, 2013, 06:29:39 pm »

That sound good?
Good for me.

I'd remove the minor chaos and make it an extra minor fire.

I believe we discussed Chaos boons a while ago. if I recall correctly it gravitated around chaos being a tricky thing and only to be given with great care.
We should see what it does. Maybe give a minor Chaos shield to Azula?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 23, 2013, 06:29:57 pm »

Nope, That's diversity for the sake of diversity. I want to improve our economy with concentrated plant booning, And I don't wanna to repeat all my reasons

If you want combat fire mages add them in addition to that planters not instead, and I'll support adding as many apprentices for Azula as you want...

And I am especially against giving chaos boons to anyone untested. Even Alchemist was like 70%good\30%bad  decision for me

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #418 on: January 23, 2013, 06:33:40 pm »

Nope, That's diversity for the sake of diversity. I want to improve our economy with concentrated plant booning, And I don't wanna to repeat all my reasons

If you want combat fire mages add them in addition to that planters not instead, and I'll support adding as many apprentices for Azula as you want...

And I am especially against giving chaos boons to anyone untested. Even Alchemist was like 70%good\30%bad  decision for me

Having only life would be like only using rock in Rock, Paper, Scissors. We could get rid of the chaos boon in favor of another life boon, since they are more helpful right now. However, we should still keep the fire boons. I'd just like to caution against having too many of the same. It could be our undoing.

Speaking of which, we should check up on the alchemist, see how he's doing.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 23, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »

Azula is about our least untested person.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 72