Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 72

Author Topic: You are a new God OOC thread.  (Read 103941 times)

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God OOC thread.
« Reply #645 on: January 28, 2013, 08:00:34 pm »

It will be good to cause general chaos before a siege that way we won't have to worry about full force of the enemies military.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 28, 2013, 08:06:00 pm »

It will be good to cause general chaos before a siege that way we won't have to worry about full force of the enemies military.
We have our new friends the tallmen, Laksus, and the normal fungus spawn plague to do that for us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 28, 2013, 08:11:14 pm »

Where is the coughing? Less assimilation, more coughing.
It's a bit subtler. Any exhalation spreads spores.

I doubt being 'not technically alive' will actually stop death magic. It's like saying an unfertilized egg is immune to it.
Worth a shot. Besides, without being alive, how can it be killed?

The new fungus may not synergize well with our troops, as it's really just a normal fungus spawn with a different biological makeup. It all seems rather redundant.
You don't get it. It's not a soldier, it's a spy. We can send Fungus Sleepers spores into enemy airspace, infect the populace, get control over large numbers of people before they suspect anything if we do it right. Everything is basically based on spreading the infection, and hence the control. The weapons? All can transfer spores. The subtlety? More time to transfer spores. Spores in the breath and all bodily fluids? You know that transmits spores.

We have our new friends the tallmen, Laksus, and the normal fungus spawn plague to do that for us.
We could, but the Fungus Sleeper is more...subtle. It can fester in a population for months or years. It worked for the elder chaos god, we can make it work for us.

And I happen to agree about some kind of control. I suppose that that's probably a danger. I propose a twofold system:
1. Reign in free will. Presumably, there would be two "modes": "Act normal," which minimizes differences between the Sleeper and the original host, and "Obey Commands," which causes it to obey our own orders.
2. Personal control over all explosive pods. By the time a Fungus Sleeper gets sufficient ganglia to be uppity or sufficient control over its host to be a problem, enough pods should have grown to really ruin the day of the fungus. Hopefully, we won't need this to be more than a threat...
Maybe something else would be nice, too, but I like the elegance of using the pre-existing explosive pods as control.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21:51 pm »

It just doesn't seem like something our god would do. We sound like the Umbrella Corporation.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 28, 2013, 08:33:35 pm »

We're a chaos god, doing the unexpected is pretty much our job description.  As long as we don't infect friendlies, I think we're okay.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 28, 2013, 08:35:04 pm »

The coughing isn't for subtlety. It's for exhuding chaos. I want a cough in there, maybe a week after initial infection, where breathing really does infect.

The whole point is that if you cough, you're as good as dead after the paranoia sets in. I can't think of something less chaotic than killing a man because he coughed.

Okay, maybe if his poetry sucked.

And the kill switch is easy - we have them target soldiers of Order.

And on the point of a virus, it's alive, but it's also not. so Death can't kill it because it's little more than self-inserting RNA. If I remember my biology, it takes over the cell's production centers and starts mass producing itself.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:45 pm »

It just doesn't seem like something our god would do. We sound like the Umbrella Corporation.
It's not that much different than the Fungus Spawn fungi, really. Just...subtler. And Chaos doesn't mean we shun subtlety.

The coughing isn't for subtlety. It's for exhuding chaos. I want a cough in there, maybe a week after initial infection, where breathing really does infect.
The coughing ruins the subtlety, which is really the biggest thing about the Fungus Sleepers.

The whole point is that if you cough, you're as good as dead after the paranoia sets in. I can't think of something less chaotic than killing a man because he coughed.
How about...anyone could be a Fungus Sleeper?

And the kill switch is easy - we have them target soldiers of Order.
...Could work. Problem being that most we would be "killing" would be ones resisting our control...

And on the point of a virus, it's alive, but it's also not. so Death can't kill it because it's little more than self-inserting RNA. If I remember my biology, it takes over the cell's production centers and starts mass producing itself.
Indeed.

If you want a coughing Fungus Sleeper, the Fungus Sleeper can probably do something like that if needed. Hm, that might be a good idea, actually...we send in an infection in the rural areas near the capital city, have them taint the food going in, infect people in the city. Once some people in the city are fully infected, have those people start coughing; after a few days or weeks, they go berserk and start killing soldiers with their explosives and such. Occasionally have a random Sleeper do the same after that. But, many Sleepers need to not be coughing for that to work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 28, 2013, 08:42:20 pm »

^I personally think this should be our last option, if we are going to attack a city.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 28, 2013, 08:44:27 pm »

Coughing or not coughing depends on if we want it to be more stealthy or not. I highly doubt our enemies are not smart enough to realize that something is amiss when vast amounts of the populace are coughing. Personally, I think we should only make it make them cough during the last stages of the infection, when they are preparing to explode and etcetera.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 28, 2013, 08:48:47 pm »

I think that biological weapon of that scale is way, way to cruel

don't use WMD, or else you'll get a guaranteed answer in form of another WMD
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 28, 2013, 08:52:44 pm »

Death can kill it. Get rid of the ability to insert itself. Get rid of the ability to come active from dormancy, for the sleepers.

I don't the like the Sleepers for flavor reasons. I'd rather us not be the illuminati; fungus spores that have an incubation period on the other hand, can spread pretty quickly, and instantly destroy a lot of armies. Besides, I doubt they'd have so few side effects while a fungus is attacking their organs and replacing them with itself. Their bodies going to be fighting, REALLY hard, which is what causes symptoms.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 28, 2013, 09:19:10 pm »

DAMMIT! I accidentally closed my reply just after finishing it...

^I personally think this should be our last option, if we are going to attack a city.
I'd think it would be more effective the sooner implemented. Start it "now", we can have an exponentially larger force than if we started it right before the attack.

Coughing or not coughing depends on if we want it to be more stealthy or not. I highly doubt our enemies are not smart enough to realize that something is amiss when vast amounts of the populace are coughing. Personally, I think we should only make it make them cough during the last stages of the infection, when they are preparing to explode and etcetera.
They don't ever explode automatically, they just gain the ability to.

I think that biological weapon of that scale is way, way to cruel
How come?

don't use WMD, or else you'll get a guaranteed answer in form of another WMD
The Empire of Tranquility already wants to destroy us.
This has the potential to be the weapon that terrifies the Empire into submission. Entire fiefs converted, food tainted with spores, no mortal can be trusted, et cetera.

Death can kill it.
Is this referring to the dormant period? Sadly, I can't prove what death magic would to to its equivalents IRL, but I'm sure there's ways to protect a spore from death magic.

Get rid of the ability to insert itself. Get rid of the ability to come active from dormancy, for the sleepers.
Mind explaining what you mean by these?

I don't the like the Sleepers for flavor reasons. I'd rather us not be the illuminati;
Well, the way I see it, this is our spin on that elder chaos god's "Substitute people with things under your control" idea. I see Donut as taking successful ideas and making them better, or at least making them work for him.

fungus spores that have an incubation period on the other hand, can spread pretty quickly, and instantly destroy a lot of armies.
How is this different from what the Fungus Sleepers are, aside from subtlety and the ability to control the victims granted by the Sleepers?

Besides, I doubt they'd have so few side effects while a fungus is attacking their organs and replacing them with itself. Their bodies going to be fighting, REALLY hard, which is what causes symptoms.
The "itself" is replacing the organs and replicating their functions as part of the replacement.
The immune system bit might be a problem...but there's always ways around that, from duplicating the host's biochemistry to hindering the immune system.
Sig

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »

First, I'd like to suggest that anyone infected with the fungus has all their memories and knowledge transferred to us overtime.  Secondly, it's a fungus not a virus.  They are two very different things, so no inserting RNA, and as far as I know, no resisting death magic because "its not technically alive." I'm okay with it showing some symptoms if necessary but I do enjoy the concept of a subtle infection that turns people into hidden agents for us.  The whole purpose is to create our own spies on the inside who can keep us informed and take out the enemy without them even knowing.  Coughing shouldn't be a purposeful side effect, but it is an acceptable one if the GM decrees it.  The spores can be spread just as easily by regular breathing.  Having it spread is good, it means more spies and more forces for us.

Illuminati is different I think - illuminati  plural of il·lu·mi·na·ti
Noun
People claiming to possess special enlightenment or knowledge of something.

I've also heard it used to describe people who supposedly deal with the devil but I don't feel that applies either.  Anyway stealth units are good and even better if we can get them while also depriving the enemy of their forces.  We have already heard how effective the other god's similar units have been.  Ours will be like that except instead of killing the person and pretending to be them, they will be them in a sense.

As far as you people saying it's cruel or a wmd keep in mind:  We already have fungus spawn which are very similar, so we're just continuing a trend.  We can direct who they infect, just as we can prevent our current fungus spawn from infecting our own villagers, we can prevent the new ones from infecting people if we desire.  There are no rules of engagement that we know of for this world.  Besides provoking them into using direct spells on us (our followers) with mana, I'm not sure what they could do.  Besides, they'll probably do that regardless of our actions, once they realize that we are a significant threat.  They already want to wipe us out for being a chaos god.

If we do this, I think we need to create a hive mind (gravemind if we're sticking with the flood analogy).

Edit: Ninja'd by GWG.  I suppose our ideas are largely similar.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:47 pm »

First, I'd like to suggest that anyone infected with the fungus has all their memories and knowledge transferred to us overtime.
Sounds like an addition for when we actually submit it.

Secondly, it's a fungus not a virus.  They are two very different things, so no inserting RNA, and as far as I know, no resisting death magic because "its not technically alive."
I'm not sure how death magic works...but how can something die if it's not alive?

I'm okay with it showing some symptoms if necessary but I do enjoy the concept of a subtle infection that turns people into hidden agents for us.  The whole purpose is to create our own spies on the inside who can keep us informed and take out the enemy without them even knowing.
Exactly! Someone sees my vision!

Illuminati is different I think - illuminati  plural of il·lu·mi·na·ti
Noun
People claiming to possess special enlightenment or knowledge of something.

I've also heard it used to describe people who supposedly deal with the devil but I don't feel that applies either.
I think he was referring to the alleged secret society.

If we do this, I think we need to create a hive mind (gravemind if we're sticking with the flood analogy).
This could be helpful at some point...
Sig

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 28, 2013, 09:46:53 pm »

or why not a version that leaves soldiers or people in the eot marked instead? like cause them to hunt or persecute each other?  "what is that mark on your cheek?" I am thinking of how they would react to any signs of things being different.

also, we have refugees form the eot, we can get ideas for plans from them also, as they lived there much of their lives.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 72