Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Prehistoric Man - Second Release  (Read 9929 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Prehistoric Man - Second Release
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:28:54 pm »

Prehistoric Man
This mod sends the dwarf fortress world back many years.  Dragons are the leading power and elves are constructing cities as well as working metal.  Dwarves are just beginning to learn the smelting of steel, and kobolds are the same as ever.  Magic is untamed by any race and is turbulent, only being used by a few.  In this time rose the race of man, still in its tribal form.  Raise up the civilization of man into a power to be reckoned with.

The link to the mod is this sentence.

This is my second mod, the first being Dragonic Civilization.  I probably won't have many ideas, so feel free to suggest something that would fit in the Neolithic Age to the Bronze Age.

Note: Wild magic may not work properly at the current time.

Features Include

>The ability to construct pickaxes, spears, axes, and arrows out of rocks. (You may want to disable some of the rocks from being economic due to them being labeled economic after having the edge changes.)
>Undiggable metamorphic rock.
>Inventing the Anvil
>Inventing whips
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:04:04 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Prehistoric Man
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:29:49 pm »

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Acknowledgements (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:05:59 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:13:55 pm »

Spoiler: In Next Release (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Suggestions (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:07:13 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:32:49 pm »

Well, I attempted to fix the wild magic portion...I fixed the original errors...and added more.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prehistoric Man - Initial Release
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:33:57 pm »

Any uh... dinosaurs or prehistoric mammals?

EDIT: Not that there were dinosaurs in the stone age. But I'd just like to point out dinosaurs make things awesome.

You know, there is a dinosaur mod that you can get some inspiration on, with many 'ancient' backwards variants of the vanilla DF (and dinosaurs), such as certain crops needing more processing (most cannot be eaten raw and stuff). Think plump helmets were just being cultivated or some story or some such. I'll get back to ya with a link instead of rambling :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:36:57 pm by Pan »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 02:41:08 pm »

Any uh... dinosaurs or prehistoric mammals?

EDIT: Not that there were dinosaurs in the stone age. But I'd just like to point out dinosaurs make things awesome.

I could add them in, but they would be different than the ones most commonly recognized, but would share some of the same features due to having more time to 'evolve.'

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:47:22 pm »

Feathers or something? The raptors of today are birds, after all.

Heck, I dunno. Put up a poll?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:59:16 pm »

Carnivores would have to change to be able to compete with the dragons.  Some would gain an acid bite and increase in speed (Modified Raptors) while others would evolve a second, third, or more heads in order to take advantage of all possible meals they come across (Modified Tyrannosaurs).

Herbivores would need better defense such as stronger plating on their backs (Modified Ankylosaurs) and/or increased speed (Modified [insert_herbivorous_dinosaur] to guard from the carnivores.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:43 pm »

You ever consider taking some inspiration from monster hunter? There's a pretty decent monster hunter mod buried somewhere. Might be a little old but it's got most of the classic monsters. Kind of fits the theme I think.

Edit: I also have the basic raws for a giant land mantis shrimp. It's pretty rough and a little old, but it might be worth taking a look at. They're up for grabs if anyone wants them. I fashioned them to be pets for the kobold cave mod but they could easily be wild animals, animalmen or whatever with a little editing
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:08:44 am by irdsm »

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 09:22:30 pm »

there is also a
old neolithic britania mod http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5134
and this mod http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3795
and the very old mezolithic dwarf mod i cant find
some of them may come in handy for inspiration or ideas or to sea how they did it.
but anyway i am liking the look of this mod

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:24:03 pm by sackhead »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 12:33:04 pm »

You ever consider taking some inspiration from monster hunter? There's a pretty decent monster hunter mod buried somewhere. Might be a little old but it's got most of the classic monsters. Kind of fits the theme I think.

Edit: I also have the basic raws for a giant land mantis shrimp. It's pretty rough and a little old, but it might be worth taking a look at. They're up for grabs if anyone wants them. I fashioned them to be pets for the kobold cave mod but they could easily be wild animals, animalmen or whatever with a little editing

Could be worth a look.

there is also a
old neolithic britania mod http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5134
and this mod http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3795
and the very old mezolithic dwarf mod i cant find
some of them may come in handy for inspiration or ideas or to sea how they did it.
but anyway i am liking the look of this mod

Thanks for the links, the mezolitic dwarf mod was already posted earlier.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:35 pm »

Looks pretty nice might i suggest as he said dinosaurs to add a special megabeast similar to T-rex's and others but more.. dwarfy apperiance? other than that im gonna give it a try now

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:45 pm »

Looks pretty nice might i suggest as he said dinosaurs to add a special megabeast similar to T-rex's and others but more.. dwarfy apperiance? other than that im gonna give it a try now

I'm guessing you missed this post on how I am going to mod them.

Carnivores would have to change to be able to compete with the dragons.  Some would gain an acid bite and increase in speed (Modified Raptors) while others would evolve a second, third, or more heads in order to take advantage of all possible meals they come across (Modified Tyrannosaurs).

Herbivores would need better defense such as stronger/actual plating on their backs (Modified Ankylosaurs) and/or increased speed (Modified [insert_small_herbivorous_dinosaur]) to guard from the carnivores.

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:53 pm »

I'm thinking of things that are actually possible by modding, but all I'm getting is nomadic tribes.

Things I'm not sure about:
sun-dried bricks
cement
plumbing
leather tents/ walls
funeral pyre
Pages: [1] 2