Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: More leather mod (why not incorperate into your mod)  (Read 45732 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More leather mod (why not incorperate into your mod)
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:13:56 pm »

hello i have made a mod that allows you to get more then 1 piece of leather from butchering animals.
to install it ad this to [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN_TEMPLATE] in the  material_template_default file in your raws
   [STOCKPILE_GLOB]
        [DO_NOT_CLEAN_GLOB]
   [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:GLOB:NONE]
   [REACTION_CLASS:SKIN]

then replace your [REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE] in your reaction_other file with this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this way like fat the amount of skin globs you get from an animal is equivalent to its  size so bigger animals = more leather

this mod is not well balanced yet and you may want to fidle with the number of required globs required for the reaction
ypur free to incorporate this into your own mods just dont forget to give me credit
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:50:57 pm by sackhead »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: More leather mod (real mod not asking for help)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:30:34 pm »

...why didn't I think of this.

This works, yes? You are one brilliant fucker :P

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:47 am »

Awesome!  I can definitely use this!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:58:11 pm »

I'm with Putnam.  I will test this as soon as I get home.

You are indeed a brilliant fucker.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:05:11 pm »

Does it return the same number of hides as fat, then?  6-13 hides from a dog might be a bit much for me.

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:29 pm »

It should work. I remember when it was last suggested, and I remember a couple of things from back then. I don't think that anyone ever did anything with it though, so it became forgotten knowledge.
Firstly, it's going to make a lot of raw skin, so unless you have a lot of tanners, you're going to have some of the skin hanging around for a while. Unless you also add [DO_NOT_CLEAN_GLOB] to the template, you're going to get them destroyed by cleaners, and yes, they do seem to consider this to be a fairly high priority.
Also, there's a weirdness involving hoofed animals. The amount of skin you get is dependent on the size of the animal, but due to the way that the game calculates things, hoofed animals give significantly less skin than their size would indicate, just like they give less meat etc. That'll cause a few problems with balancing things out. If I remember, dogs gave 12 and horses gave only 14, so bear that in mind.
It's easy enough to tweak the tanning reaction to require more raw skin for each piece of leather, if that's what you want to do.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:52:58 pm »

... The amount of skin you get is dependent on the size of the animal, but due to the way that the game calculates things, hoofed animals give significantly less skin than their size would indicate, just like they give less meat etc. That'll cause a few problems with balancing things out. If I remember, dogs gave 12 and horses gave only 14...

To skip my dissertation, scroll to the bottom of this post.

This is pure conjecture, but I have a theory as to why this phenomenon occurs; fat and meat output from animals, and discrepancies thereof between hoofed and toed phenotypes.

In a sweeping and unfounded assertion, I will state that most of us non-Toadies associate variable yields from butchering (such as meat and fat output) as dependent purely on animal size, wherein the larger the animal, the greater the amount of delicious meats and useful fats.  However it is also known that this trend does not follow a normal linear scale with size, and that different body part products begin to be obtained at different sizes (such as hides, bones, meat, and specific organ meats).

I am certain, to certain degree of certainty, that the body size of the creature in relation to the relative size [REL_SIZE] of the body part and/or organ (as specified in the body_plan), determines if a butchering product is obtained.  In the case of butcherable tissue layers, such as muscle or fat, a product may be obtained from each body part if the rel_size of the body part in relation to the body_size of the creature meets or exceeds some unknown criterion.  While !!SCIENCE!! is required to elucidate both the validity of this theorem and the critical criteria for successful butchering of organs, meat, and skin (and ect.), this underlying principle leads to my logical supposition on the variance between expected and apparent output of meats from hoofed creatures.

In the body plan of the creature raws, non-hoofed quadrupeds gain the advantage of more body parts than hoofed creatures.  Specifically, our unfortunate ungulates lack the digiti pedis... Toes.  While the REL_SIZE of the standard quadruped toe is extremely small in relation to, say, the upper or lower body, it is possible the critical body_size to rel_size equation is satisfied once a certain body_size lower limit is reached, allowing our dwarves to harvest the succulent toe-meats of our beloved farm friends.

If this is, in fact, the truth and not an erroneous assumption, then the same body part harvest mechanism could explain the difference in skin glob yield between hoofed and toed creatures after application of your mod.  Your dwarves get a bunch of extra toe skin from the dogs, toe skin that evolution did not deign to gift upon the horse.

Short Version

You get less meat (and in your case skin) from hoofed animals because they don't have toes to butcher.  I think.   :-\

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:00:16 am »

That's kind of true.

My understanding is that because the hoof contains no Muscle, Skin or Fat, it doesn't count towards the totals - it doesn't matter about the thresholds, since it contains a total of zero. So it's not just the toes, but the entire foot that's ignored. With four of them, that adds up to a noticeable reduction in the total.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 07:04:07 am »

Its still better then 1 leather from everything. I read about this solution a long time ago, but somehow never added it to my mod... I will probably do so for the next version, for leather, scales and chitin.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:42:17 pm »

Its still better then 1 leather from everything. I read about this solution a long time ago, but somehow never added it to my mod... I will probably do so for the next version, for leather, scales and chitin.

o fore awesome!
you can probably balance it better then me anyway.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:47:46 pm »

I'm definitely interested in the ideas on how this could be balanced.  I can't come up with anything particularly good.

Brenticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:11:07 am »

Oh wow - this is a great option.   Only getting 1 hide per animal isn't good for the tanning industry.    I added reactions to allow skinning raw glass which is a bit exploity...

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:45:17 pm »

This is also better than the way I modded in extra skin on animals before.  I used to apply additional skin organs as [INTERNAL] and [SMALL] to animals in order to obtain extra raw hides on butchery.  However, this required a great deal of body plan editing, which could conflict with other mods (something I try to avoid if possible whenever I mod DF).  It also was kind of bizarre, all the animals running around with lumps of skin filling their insides.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 07:51:17 pm »

I wonder if this could be done for bones as well. That would fix the "custom reaction uses entire stack of bones in one reaction"-bug/problem.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:00:43 am »

I wonder if this could be done for bones as well. That would fix the "custom reaction uses entire stack of bones in one reaction"-bug/problem.
would it recognise the bone globs as bone? i imagine it wouldn't be recognized for bone crafting and stuff..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5