Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry  (Read 67929 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:12 pm »

Do research into its DRM techniques. Read consumer complaints on forums, wait until weeks after release to see what problems pop up. Watch segments of Let's Plays, visit review aggregation websites, play demos. Ask people who have played - maybe on an Internet forum about gaming - and consider their complaints. Hell, if you are dead set on playing the actual game first, there is nothing preventing you but your own morals from caving and pirating the gameas a "demo."

When you go to the store to buy a peice of meat. How much research do you put into finding out if it is any good?

That is a completely stupid comparison. The quantity of research options available are absolutely miniscule in comparison to a video game. You can purchase any type or quantity of meat as opposed to this one game which is being sold at specific prices right now and you are not sure whether or not it is worth those prices. Meat is only going to cost you your money and be consumed quickly later on (aside from preparation), but a game will most likely cost you your time, too. When you're done with the meat, you can't recommend that same exact slice because you were the only one that ate it. You have an unlimited amount of time to research a game, but a slice of meat may be bought before you can grab it, and you'll have to shrug and go with another.

I could go on. If you want to cheat yourself out of money with a comparison like that, feel free, but otherwise smarten up and do research on the things you can do research on instead of complaining that they stole your money.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:14:49 pm by freeformschooler »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:28 pm »

Do you just grab something blindly off the shelf and toss it in your cart?  If so, I guess you could probably justify bitching (why did they have freezer burnt meat on sale?) but in the end it's your own fault.

But guess what, all of this is irrelevant.  The machine you bought the cake from doesn't give a shit if it's burnt.  In fact, since you bought it, it's going to assume you either like burnt cake or you can't make good decisions.  Either way, it's going to take you for a ride.

Honestly, Neonivek, like I said, maybe you're not entitled, but right now you're not making a good case for yourself.  You're admitting that you're a bad consumer, that you're part of the problem, that you don't think about what you buy, but still feel you have the right to be indignant about it.
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »

You can, in fact, research meat anyway. Maybe not a specific slice, mind you, but you can usually find out who the farm, slaughterhouse, and processors (for things like sausage or hamburger) are and how well their brands fare in the eyes of the public.

Implying that hype and fan favoritism can't skew views about a game, though, is just as ignorant. You might not always be able to get an honest opinion, and if it does get presented as good you might actually buy it before you get a chance to really learn about it.

As for voices, our voices are pretty well drowned out by the people who buy all the shitty games anyway. It doesn't matter whether or not we support or don't support a game because there's swaths of people who are going to pay for it anyway, and unless it's so bad that everyone bitches (as happened with ME3) nothing's going to change.

Bitching does work, though. Game companies can't completely ignore the angry cries of the masses, if there's enough masses.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:39:19 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2013, 09:46:31 pm »

Honestly, Neonivek, like I said, maybe you're not entitled, but right now you're not making a good case for yourself.

Look, as I said. Entitlement just means you have an expectation that you believe should be met.

Everyone is entitled because everyone has expectations.

So yes, I am entitled. I made no arguements to say I wasn't. I am just saying that being entitled isn't a bad or good thing. It is just a human thing. You cannot "Not" be entitled unless you give up having any expectations.

"Rights" IS entitlement for example.

Do you just grab something blindly off the shelf and toss it in your cart?

No, but you never know what lies beyond the lable.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »

That's complete BS. For a vast majority of games it is fully possible to know A LOT about what "lies beyond the lable."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:25 pm »

That's complete BS. For a vast majority of games it is fully possible to know A LOT about what "lies beyond the lable."

Same with movies, furnature, clothes, food, and basically everything.

Yet does that excuse poor tactics used by producers?

Does the fact that you could research everything about a product given enough time and patience excuse flaws within that product especially when the very people who are selling it to you are making sure you do not do that research or make it inconvieniant to?

As people we will always want the greater value out of a product. When that isn't met we will of course complain because our expectations were not. When these tactics are made to go around good judgement, when they are made to harm others who may not even know it is there, or when they step into legal grey areas, these are when they become unethical even when someone buys the product.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:53:02 pm by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2013, 09:52:53 pm »

No, but it gives lie to your statements about "burnt cake" and 'shitty meat' and all the other bullshit you have been talking about.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2013, 09:53:42 pm »

No, but it gives lie to your statements about "burnt cake" and 'shitty meat' and all the other bullshit you have been talking about.

You can research recalls to see if the meat is safe. How many times a week do you check recalls for all the food you buy?

You cannot entirely fault people who do not do all the research because there is only so much research we should be expected to do.

As well for videogames there is such a thing as "Over-researching".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:34 pm »

100% of the food I buy is researched painstakingly beforehand.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:38 pm »

100% of the food I buy is researched painstakingly beforehand.

Then you are especially entitled. In fact more so then anyone else here.

You have the expectation that your painstaking research will be honest.

But does that mean anything?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:47 pm »

Well according to your non common use of the word that's not a bad thing. And doesn't make you any less of a liar.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »

You're still on this entitlement kick, and it's starting to become a distraction from the actual issue - that your poor consumer habits are making you a contributor to the problem you lament.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2013, 09:58:47 pm »

Well according to your non common use of the word that's not a bad thing. And doesn't make you any less of a liar.

Lie? Silly Criptfiend you should have researched what I said more closely.

I didn't lie because you didn't do the research. Isn't that how gamers are entitled?

Gamers are entitled because they were lied to and bought the game anyway. Gamers are entitled because they bought a complete game and found out it wasn't. Gamers are entitled because they bought a game that wasn't playable.

it's starting to become a distraction from the actual issue - that your poor consumer habits are making you a contributor to the problem you lament.

no it is the focus of the issue. If Entitlement trumps poor sales habits then this entire thread is invalid.

Everyone is aware that consumers aid the issue. Yet at the same time we have many a time have passed laws BECAUSE we knew that consumer action wasn't possible.

Yet DOES the fact that if consumers all banded together invalidate "Rampant Monetization" afterall. If it is so bad, no one would buy it.

That is why Entitlement is still the issue. Unless we can come to a concensus then it just boils down to "if you don't like it, don't buy it" and then the thread just ends.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:01:51 pm by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:27 pm »

In this case it is though!  There is a big difference between crisis/monopoly gouging on things you can't live without and taking people for a ride because they don't have the will to not buy a toy.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:53 pm »

No, but you never know what lies beyond the lable.
You can research recalls to see if the meat is safe.

So. A liar. Or you change you mind dramatically over the course of a hour. In which case you may want to take a step back and examine your thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36