Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 64533 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:24:27 pm »

Long ago, men believed the universe was much smaller. We have learned since then. But we, like them, are still human, and it is the driving force of curiosity that led us here.
   That was thousands of years ago, on a distant planet that we call Earth. You may not have heard of it or its history. That is because most of your kind left long ago when a fleet of massive, self-replicating machines visited Earth and started terraforming it. We succeeded in destroying most of the first few, but they kept coming, and for every three nukes we launched at one in space, three more were found landed on the surface. When we destroyed the first one on our surface, its destruction spread toxic contaminants across the region and forced half of the cities in south Asia to be evacuated. By the time we figured out how to shut them down, Earth's atmosphere was hardly breathable, and most of our population has been wiped out. So we did what we could--we abandoned Earth to the machines and evacuated to Mars.
   We waited out the terraformation process for decades, rebuilding our population and our society. Near the end, we noticed that Earth's atmosphere had changed again, this time similar to its original composition. Investigating, we were surprised to come back to find  most of Earth’s ecosystem still present and living in harmony with alien lifeforms brought by the machines. We were able to resettle, but at this point Earth was no better off than the exosolar colonies in their genesis. We had no choice but to keep silent and wait, lest the colonies return and take advantage of our weakness. One day, however, we will return and claim what is rightfully ours. We will not be forgotten.
[/i]

(Foreshadowing!)

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: More Background (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Abilities and Traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Psionics and You (click to show/hide)

Character Sheets
These sheets will be a lot simpler than my previous RTD's. Just copy the code below:

Code: [Select]
Name:
Race: (can be from a house or can be border/edge worlds. If parents are different races then just list them as Mother's Race/Father's Race. You can come up with your own group of people, too.)
Bio: (this is important as it will determine what kind of character you are)
Abilities: (you can start with a few if you are a psionic, otherwise you should remove this line unless you have a way of integrating casted abilities linked to your character. Personally, I'd recommend that everyone is a psionic, or that you eventually develop them somehow later in the plot, or your choices for gameplay could get limited.)
Traits:
Inventory: (people generally carry their guns and ammo around for self-defense. Space is harsh. Start with 3-5 magazines or so. I would not recommend starting with power armor unless you are an expy of Tony Stark with a multi-stellar conglomerate.)

And, to give people a heads up as to where we will be starting, here it goes:

Player List:
-Caellath
-HighEndNoob
-SuperBlast
-Unholy_Pariah
-Tiruin

Waitlist:
-darkpaladin109 (?)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:14:09 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:13:25 pm »

Welp, perusing sheet.
Spoiler: Done, I guess (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:12:03 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:40 pm »

I'll have a sheet up once I have a minute to type it.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:25:38 am by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:02 pm »

This looks fun. I'll see about getting a sheet up sometime... tomorrow. 2:45 in the morning may not be the best of times to make a sheet. :P

Thinking of going for a telepath that's skilled in repairing and building both mechanical and electronic objects, incase anyone wants to make characters that work with.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:36 pm »

I wanna try too... reserve a spot for me too.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Will this work? And no I didn't go with amnesia because I skipped the background spoiler.... ok maybe I did.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:55:03 am by superBlast »
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:42 pm »

Spot reserved.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »

Name: Dominic Zoshan
Race: Ross, Polarian Father
Bio: Being of a mixed background, Dominic always stayed away from large groups. He preferred studying ancient technology of the old world. (Ancient as in medieval through Civil-war era) Early in his adulthood, he discovered that he had Psionic abilities, and after mastering them, he became an independent security guard. He was fired soon after due to his employers learning about his powers. Upset, he became an independent bounty-hunter, mainly to catch criminals the gentlemen's way.
Abilities: Geokinesis
Traits: Gentlemen
Duelist
Polite
Inventory:
-Gunberd
   -B-22A Gunberd Round (20)
-Armored Trench-Coat
-Repair Kit
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:28:00 am »

Name: Kenjaro
Race: Cyrian
Bio: Kenjaro was raised on Sirius by his overly traditionalist family and was taught to revere hand to hand combat as the ultimate form of battle and that to hide behind a weapon with a range greater than 20 feet was an act of ultimate cowardice. Taking these lessons to heart Kenjaro grew up taking every opportunity to fight that he could find in an attempt to please his parents, even when any normal person would be lying in a bloody crumpled heap in the gutter Kenjaro would still be swinging his fists at his opponents mindless of the damage done to his body. After several years of meaningless violence he had developed an insatiable blood lust and when he came of age he joined the only organization that would enlist someone with such a thirst for violence, the Cyrus Legion. It was soon discovered that his remarkable ability to continue fighting despite the sheer amount of punishment dealt to him was not a result of his blood lust but rather from the unconscious production of a psionic field that causing rapid cellular regeneration that in effect healed him as he fought, after this discovery he was ordered to undergo mandatory psionic training and it was here that his instructor taught him that to truly find honor through battle he must fight for a cause, whether it was defending a trade ship from pirates or conquering a nation there needed to be a reason behind it that would benefit the many over the few.
Abilities: Healing
Traits:
Blood lust, +1 to close combat attacks
Martial focus, +1 to melee attacks and dodging
Rifles are for cowards, -2 to long range weapons
Inventory:
Layered nano-steel armor
Ultrasonic axe
ballistic shotgun - 3 clips
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:29:01 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:23:59 am »

Name: Davis Theul
Race: Edgeworld by the name of Pathis. Father was of Cyrian heritage.
Bio: Davis grew up on a peaceful, rural agricultural planet, that valued diplomacy and life. Davis himself had a talent with both mechanics and electronics and went to university, eventually transferring to a better one in Cyrian territory, where the studies inevitably turned to military use. Davis had a knack for grasping everything anyone ever said and advanced quickly. He joined the Cyrus Legion for a time after his studies to apply what he had learnt. There, he found out his little knack was actually his psionic power, telepathy. However, before they could really work on those powers, Davis' parents were killed by pirates, leaving him with the inheritance. He used it to buy his equipment and employed himself as a mercenary, helping those that cannot defend themselves for the most part.
Abilities: Telepathy. Used for mental messages and mind skim-reading.
Traits:
Military Training: +1 to cover/dodge and shooting.
Tactician: +1 to shooting when situation and enemies are assessed. -1 to all rolls when caught off-guard.
Mechanic/Electrician: +2 to repairs, maintenance and building of devices, weapons, vehicles and robots.
Never bring a knife to a gunfight: -2 melee combat.
Inventory:
Carbon based webbing with ceramic plating for armour. Helmet includes shades that displays information, such as biological creature movement over inanimate object movement.
TR4 Ballistic Rifle (fires bullets with a plasma charge that discharges on contact.)
3 clips, 30 shots in each.
R341 - Light rocket launcher, the 2 rockets designed with practically no AOE to kill infantry, but good for piercing armour. Unguided.
Handyman's tools. Used to repair or build anything mechanical and electronic.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:59:09 pm by Maxinum McDreich »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:35:12 am »

Ugh, full player list already :/

Waitlist in advance.

Spoiler: Sheet. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:23:48 am by Tiruin »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:21:04 pm »

Nice character sheets, I'll have to look them over. Also waiting on Maxinum McDreich (edit: oh, I expected an edit.)

One thing though: Sirius was the colony ship name. The people of the colony ship are now united under the Cyrus legion, the traditional military started by Cyrus which continued onward after he died.

The correct term is Cyrians for civilians on the empire, and Sirians for anyone else descended from the Sirius but not associated with the Legion in any way.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:41:49 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:35 pm »

Fixed my background. Also, Maximum seems to have posted his sheet already.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:34 pm »

I like Caellath's style. I'll use that.

As a note, abilities like "cryokinesis" and so on may be used at will to provide whatever effect you want. However, there is a chance it will not work as intended. If you want to use a certain "spell" multiple times, I recommend putting a skill point into it so you can reliably cast it.

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

-----

Quote from: Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

It is yet another day on Lokhis, the legendary capital of the Kepler system. It leads a reputation above all others in crime, inhospitability, and complete lack of resources to make it worthwhile. Some have dared to ask why it is even colonized when there is nothing to be gained. However, as you are well aware, there is more than meets the eye. A position in the heart of the system allows it to serve as the outpost for the system's diamond belt miners. The lack of a better alternative planet leaves the inhabitants of the kepler system no other choice. And to leave the Kepler system uninhabited would forfeit the opportunity of having it serve as a communications gateway. You see, Kepler is the Ross gateway to the Pavonia cluster, which is densely populated and serves as a major source of imports for the Ross. The Ross ordered the Kepler system's colonization in the 3400's to function as a "pit stop" or sorts, but over time it's become a mostly independent colony attracting its own brand of freelancers and pirates. Though far from peaceful, the system is less of a nightmare than the core Ross systems and Pavonia cluster are in that respect, and it's far less isolated from the other houses if the Ross systems are used as a gateway.

You wake up in the local hotel and get ready to embark on your return trip--home, to Aldros II. After donning your armor and attaching your weapon, sheathed in its ornate case, you head out to the launch loop tram and show the gatekeeper your ticket, being sure to display the Ross insignia on it so that they know who you are. This was a diplomatic mission, where you were the representative of your homeworld, and the Ross governor had decided to meet here instead of finishing his return trip from Delta Pavonia. The meeting was fairly uninteresting, though you did get to pick up a souvenier holo-president on your way out. "Keep it," the governor had said, "it'll help with other politicians in the future. They love to see diplomats show some patriotism."
As you seat yourself in the tram, you receive a call. Your display reads the call as coming from your ship! Quickly checking the clock to make sure you have time to talk in case it's something important (The tram leaves in eight minutes. It'll be half an hour before the next one.), you respond to hear your ship's Travelmaster on the phone:
"Your Honor Mr. Neskratt, sir..." he began in a hurried tone.
"What is it Reynolds? Is there something wrong with the ship? The crew?"
"The warp crystal is missing! Someone infiltrated the ship, I don't know how. I left a psy-lock on it which could reveal their location when it goes off, but don't come up here, we're coming down to speak with the authorities."

Meanwhile, near the Lokhis Police Department Hall...

Quote from: Wwolin, AKA Steven Cobalt

You scour the back of the building looking for a way in, cursing to yourself. You have the warp crystal with you, but as for your friend, you couldn't haul him to safety by the time the helicopters had arrived. Right now he is in the base, and the department is sure to execute him on the spot once they force a confession out of him. You stay close to the wall to avoid the spotlights, and come across two doors near each other, both locked. One of them is labeled "Authorized personnel only," the other lacks a handle.

Quote from: Maxinum McDreich, AKA Davis Theul

You currently stand next to a pair of officers, one in Ross uniform, the other wearing a long trenchcoat and top hat. As for what a Cyrian ensign is doing here... who knows. You were tasked to familiarize yourself with life in the border worlds. The Ross didn't mind you visiting the Police Department on Lokhis to get a feel for what it was like outside of Cyrian space, especially since the Ross and Cyrians have fostered a healthy alliance since the end of the Third Galactic Wars, in which the Ross stayed neutral but secretly helped the Cyrians fight off the Centauri and Aroth. That was over a hundred years ago.

The others were heading to interrogate a recently arrested criminal. You were supposed to follow them, ask questions, and do whatever they told you to do, as long as it remained within Cyrian custom to do so.

Quote from: HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

The Cyrian with you and the officer annoyed you. Something about him suggested an adherence to foreign tradition, and a fear of change. Your senses never failed you up to this point, so you could almost sense a rivalry that was to ensue if the Cyrian had to follow you around as well. Nevertheless, your Gunberd probably intimidated him, so maybe you would get to order him around a bit.

The prisoner in question is just a few halls ahead. He was arrested for stealing something from the ships--you were not told what he had stolen. Your job is to get an answer out of him as to what his motives are, and who, if anyone, helped him. You are to use every method you can to get an honest answer out of him, even if it means deadly force, as long as you do not kill him. Yet.

Quote from: superBlast, AKA Ryan

The door opens, and you see the silhouettes of three armed personnel entering through the light. You don't know why you are sitting in this room, what you did to deserve it, or what is going to happen. All you know is that you have some kind of feeling that you, even in your amnesia, know you have never felt before in your life. You still know English, how to walk, talk, eat, even fire a... well you don't know what that is. But this feeling seems to give you a sense of power, of being able to do something here. Maybe it could get you out of this situation, somehow. Really, this is confusing.

The officers are dead silent. Perhaps they know your life may well end here, if you don't do something right away. The system around you seems to be geared that way, and you're caught in the middle of it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:18:00 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:41:56 pm »

((Holy crap... I can feel the epicness this might become!))

Ok... 3 people armed with weapons... I don't know what they are except they are dangerous. The people don't seem friendly... but they are my chance to find out what is going on and maybe who I am. I am Ryan. I know that much. I think.

Look around the room and note stuff of interest. If the people try to talk to me, keep quiet for now and listen.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 08:42:08 pm »

Dominic sighed. Another fool trying to snatch something he did nothing to acquire. He needed to put him in his place, but first he must be polite.
"Good evening, sir. It seems that you have taken something of value. What was it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 75