Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Dwarven ingenuity?

Keep on going downstraem
- 0 (0%)
Time for some heroic swimming?...no?
- 0 (0%)
Find a dead tree or other long object, work as a group to hoist it across. (With emphasis on actually finding said object...)
- 4 (44.4%)
Invent some absurd creation involving rope and stuff which slowly pulls tied up people across…
- 5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 90

Author Topic: Cloudsprite(the peasant dwarf II?) -interactive story-  (Read 178782 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Cloudsprite(the peasant dwarf II?) -interactive story-
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2013, 08:11:26 am »

You son-of-a-b***h!

I love his facial expression.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2013, 11:13:08 am »

I just thought we had a really bad headache.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2013, 12:17:34 pm »

Looks like no one cares for dwarven wine or water.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2013, 12:48:55 pm »

Aye. Dwarven wine is the true underdog here. Water is a jerk, though. He doesn't deserve any votes.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »

After I had been left alone once again one of my more peculiar advisors suggested that I'd go look for a sock. It took me quite a while but in the end I managed to find an old sock lying under a pile of used clothes. Once I had completed my first task I was forced to once again smoke a sock...someone else's old sock...
Luckily the dwarf in white called for me at the last second, however I was told to bring the sock with me for later use...

I was surprised as the hallway outside of my door led to the top of a couple stairs since two-floor houses were rare for dwarves...at least where I came from. I followed the sound of a roaring fire and arrived in some sort of a kitchen, once again I was surprised as most dwarven meals are eaten in public dining halls. Safe to say that this guy wasn't a peasant but the lack of gold and gems had me thinking that he probably wasnt a noble either.
The area was roomy yet rustic, built from a mix of materials amongst which I could identify wood, clay, and multiple kinds of rock. I look over at the dining table and to my great joy it's packed to the brim, however at second glance I realise that many of the things on the table werent food but spices, pastes and cutlery. But there was still a thick smell of homecooked food lingering around the kitchen, as I take a step in I see a dwarf infront of a large pot whom I presume would be the guy's wife. She was very tall for a dwarf much like her husband and even though I rarely think much of my height I couldn't help but feel a bit uneasy amongst those two.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After some brief introductions I learnt that the big dwarf's name was Gulog and that he was a miller of some sort.
As I sat down at the table his wife asked me if I wanted some kitten lard in my porridge, an invitation which I gladly accepted.
I spent a couple of minuites trying to get some useful information out of the guy but he didn't really manage to catch my drift...
Well, it didn't take long before I was presented with some steaming hot food and a cup of plump wine. When I for a moment didn't stuff my face full with clumps of unidentifyable food combinations I tried to get a discussion going again. Gulog still seemed to have some problems but his wife eagerly began a conversation, her speech was colored by some sort of intellectual superiority concealed by false modesty.

She apparantly knew about the guild system quite indepth, Gulog for one worked in the farmers guild which was kind of an "umbrella guild" for most of the food related things.
The main question is...how much of my current situation do I wish to tell them about? I pobably can't keep up the conversation without explaining my position at some point, but then again I could lie? On the other hand there might not even be a problem at all...

You son-of-a-b***h!

I love his facial expression.
Don't zoom in on the eye-brows clipping through the bandage!  :'(

I just thought we had a really bad headache.
Impressive that you 2 managed to read that much into the picture, yea I was aiming for the pissed off+headache look. :P

Woah, puring maggot milk has exceeded the count of two. This must be witchcraft.
Nah, that's just the way of life m8.
Purring maggot master-race!

Time to try Adventure Game Sense over Plotcognition...
I'd advise you not to as the story takes place after "classic df-time" (to give myself a bit of error-margin+creative freedom).
Information is our primary objective right now.
Specific example perhaps?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:13:55 pm by slowpokez »

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2013, 07:41:11 pm »

She apparantly knew about the guild system quite indepth, Gulog for one worked in the farmers guild which was kind of an "umbrella guild" for most The main question is...how much of my current situation do I wish to tell them about? I pobably can't keep up the conversation without explaining my position at some point, but then again I could lie? On the other hand there might not even be a problem at all...

Information is our primary objective right now.
Specific example perhaps?

What is our purpose in this fort? Do we wish to gain enough money and/or dwarves to come back and take over our old fort? Did we come over all this way to simply live like we used to in our old fort, (basically living off the backs of others like a noble and not serving any true purpose to the fort) or do we want to actually do something of value? I suggest we find the means to earn some money and make some friends. To start with, if we tell the truth about our situation, (to the extent that we told the people in the brewery, not good to make up something else least people find out there is a conflict in our story and get suspicious), this couple would at the least probably offer to help us by possibly finding a job opportunity or simply give us some money to make amends for the damage done to our head. 

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:09 pm »

^ keep our semi-fantastic story about getting lucky to scape the old fort and that now we are the rightful lord of the old fort.

find out what was going on when we got hit? why was the whole shenanigans with the dwarf and the goose? what happened to them?

ask advice for what would be the best course of action for someone in our situation. they know their fort, they are in a guild, they seem to be under the mandate of the nobles, not the warden, and they seem like nice people, otherwise they would just have left you knocked out.

Ask why we weren't taken to a Hospital instead? make conversation about the differences in living conditions that were noted in their house and our old fort, that would give us more insight...

Ask about the brewery, ask about the prison, ask about the old lady, basically ask about everything we've encountered so far, to cross-reference and see if they got more insight.

Ask for an updated map.

We still need a place to stay and a source of food and booze, we need a base of operations, maybe after we get to know how things work around here, find out news about our old fort and start planning a reclaim with ourselves as lord?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:05:08 am by Kaos »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »

Hey isn't there a way for other dwarves to actually find out who the guy in charge of the last dwarf really was?  Eh, either way at this point it's probably just easiest to maintain our story.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2013, 11:16:02 am »

The thing next to the candle is looking at us, smiling with its sharp teath. We had better kill it. Or at least find out if it's a pet.

alonard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:26 am »

i agree it would be easiest and wisest to maintain our current story and who knows maybe our title will be worth something to someone which hopefully will only bring luck

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
"
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2013, 02:57:25 pm »

She didn't ask it straight out as she explained but she had started giving me hints that I should somehow explain my situation. Naturally I told them about my current situation and the events that had lead up to it, slightly flavored by the voices to make Nerin, lord of the glittering caves seem a bit grander then what he really was.
Gulog's wife seemed a bit concerned after hearing how I went from an outpostleader to a lowly peasant while Gulog himself seemed really impressed by my "previous social status". Well, apparantly I've ended up in bit of a strange position here. Since I'm of course not really a noble I have no place there, I've never even been in touch with any of the guilds which pretty much what appeares to be the only to get a steady income. Migrants are generally picked up by the warden as soon as they set foot on Black gate territory, they are at least on paper free to leave whenever they want unless they sign up to a position under the warden in return for free food and housing. For some such as beggers and peasants this might very well be considered quite a beneficial deal. The problem is that all the regular migrants- Gem setters, Potash makers, Wax workers and so on are forced to choose between starvation and a life borderline enslavement.
-Hmm...seems a bit harsh eh? So either you got to know people or you end up getting stuck here working for free?

*She pushes her eyebrows together and thinks intensely for a brief second.*
When the moment of what would've been complete silence if it were'nt for Gulog's slurping had ended she continued talking, this time her speech was a bit slower or...more restrained as if she tasted every word for as long as possible before uttering it.
She claimed that there were two exceptions to my earlier statement. The first one was to get a document from the Mountainhome stating that your migration had been varified by the king("The dwarven king" and not one of the many outpost mayors) or a majority of the counsellors. The other one was to simply provide something that the fort doesn't already have or to fill a vacant spot in the social system. This was accually not simple at all due to the fact that not only would you have to compete with hundreds of other dwarves but also had the warden relentlessly shutting down any business that might in any way damage his ways. The reason to why people have decided to look the other way is simply because a sideeffect of this neverending powerhunt is an slmost complete cleasing of crime. Not even the children dare steal as they have seen what the warden's hammerer is willing to do.
-Carp...
-Then what was all that 'bout with the berserker and the goose?

*Suddently Gulog who's been quiet for quite some time shines up*
He explains how one of the migrants went berserk, for some reason he just couldn't take it anymore and during his five minutes of fame he had managed to punch a pregnant dwarf in the face, push a good dozen wine barrels down the central stairway and steal McJerut's goose. After the failure on his part related to my brave initiation he had carried me home to fix me up. I guess the reason I didn't end up in a hospital is because he might've been scared that I'd accuse him of something.

Dinner's been eaten, what now? Keep talking? Leave? Anything?

Personally I don't like reading long walls of text like this but well I'm not in charge of the story :P

The thing next to the candle is looking at us, smiling with its sharp teath. We had better kill it. Or at least find out if it's a pet.
That would be a fish. From another picture....
Why is it there? No idea. How did it get there? No idea. Does it serve any purpose? No.

Hey isn't there a way for other dwarves to actually find out who the guy in charge of the last dwarf really was?  Eh, either way at this point it's probably just easiest to maintain our story.
I literary can't understand what you mean by this....
(I am awfully sorry, English is not my native language.)
What is our purpose in this fort? Do we wish to gain enough money and/or dwarves to come back and take over our old fort? Did we come over all this way to simply live like we used to in our old fort, (basically living off the backs of others like a noble and not serving any true purpose to the fort) or do we want to actually do something of value?
Nerin doesn't have any sort of aspirations at all, it's up to the voices to lead him onto an interesting path. Otherwise I might aswell just write a novel right? :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:22:46 am by slowpokez »

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2013, 03:19:26 pm »

The solution is simple. We find a dwarf with a monopoly on something(should be easy enough with the warden's aversion to competition) and put him out of bussiness. Maybe using the sock of flames. Then we quickly fill the gab. I believe there aren't many leatherworkers here, so that would be a good bet.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:36 pm »

I think you need a skill upgrade. How about getting a Mood?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2013, 03:36:19 pm »

I think you need a skill upgrade. How about getting a Mood?
But what artifact shall we make? I purpose a platinum mace with menacing spikes on the handle. I'd call it "upyoursoverseer"

Edit:
Or maybe we could go fell on the old woman and make a bone memorial slab of her? I'd call it "Wasntme"

If we made a container out of fire, woul we gain skill points for woodburning, or something better?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:50:25 pm by AfellowDwarf »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »

I'm thinking staying close to gameplay mechanisms, so bonecrafter, stonecrafter or *wince* woodcrafter.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 90