Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: YouTube video series "How to Play Dwarf Fortress"  (Read 642 times)

paulbobrookins

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
YouTube video series "How to Play Dwarf Fortress"
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »

Hi yall, long time player/reader/fan/fun-haver but first time poster.  I decided to start posting gaming related videos to youtube, and after much deliberation, I decided to start a "How to Play" series of videos on the current version of Dwarf Fortress.  I wanted to make a video series that would be accessible to brand new players from scratch to help them avoid some of the problems we've all seen.

The video series playlist is at:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXd7HBA5RABfpt05aXWlre-16LrdcNTll
The first video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbR-GIj9k8g

I know its been done before, but I thought I could put a new spin on it.  They say do what you love, and that's why I decided to start with Dwarf Fortress.  I felt like even experienced DFers would enjoy seeing someone else's take on how to set up their fort.  I'm hoping to start a thread on here to get a dialogue going with the forum.  I want to hear any suggestions, critiques, comments, or anything really.  I want some advice on how to steer the videos in the future, things I should change, or things that people really like that they don't want changed.  I'm not 100% on the etiquette of this forum either, so if this post is in bad taste, poorly placed, or inappropriate I want to know that too. 

Any thoughts are appreciated!

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: YouTube video series "How to Play Dwarf Fortress"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:29 pm »

The only issue I'm having is that my headphones seems to go crazy when you talk....

Might pop the speaker

paulbobrookins

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:14:19 pm »

The only issue I'm having is that my headphones seems to go crazy when you talk....

Yeah, I noticed that for several videos when my voice got louder there would be static.  I figured out how to fix that later by moving the mic further from my mouth and talking softer, but a few videos have some pretty bad sounds on them.  I am hoping to re-record a few if I can get better at editing and actually add a different sound file to an existing video, but for now they are static-laden.  These videos definitely will drive an audiophile nuts.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:50:42 am »

It's always good to have more tutorials for a game like Dwarf Fortress. Maybe you'll bring in some fresh bacon for us to convert.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy