Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The recreation of Yggdrasil, Valhalla, Mithril Hall, or Gauntlgrym  (Read 14068 times)

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to take on a mega project to either build the entirety or part of Yggdrasil, Valhalla, Mithril Hall, or Gauntlgrym. Problem is that there arent many pictures I can go off of. So you should post up some concept sketches or pictures off the internets I would be happy to undertake something. I am either doing the outside of my fortress looking similar or my grand dining hall/crypt looking similar. What do you think?

Yggdrasil Picture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Valhalla Picture
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: The recreation of Yggdrasil, Valhalla, Mithril Hall, or Gauntlgrym
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:10 pm »

Norse/fantasy themed megaconstructs? Do it do it doit doit doitdoitdeweet!

I found some quick concept references off Google Images, but I'd only use them for inspiration. Trying to make a completely accurate recreation of a conceptual image of a mythical subject is a silly thing to attempt.
Spoiler: Valhalla (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure how one would attempt building an Yggdrasil; one does not simply build a tree. I guess you could build a dwarfy idol of Yggdrasil built entirely of wood harvested from tree genocide and glued together with elven tears, complete with flowing rivers and all that jazz.

Never heard of Gauntlgrym or Mithril Halls though, and not much popped up on Search. There's a neat map of Gauntlgrym (I assume) that could easily be translated to DF at least, not including the height of walls or buildings. Also included is what looks like a towering keep used for whatever Gauntlgrym used it for, I dunno. found it on a wiki page, it looks like.
Spoiler: Gauntlgrym (click to show/hide)

Mithril Halls sounds/looks like the standard dwarven Moria-esque mine. Got some maps of it though and fanart that shows the scale of an average hallway, I assume.
Spoiler: Mithril Halls (click to show/hide)

I'd go with Valhalla or Yggdrasil myself. Building a kickass hall for kickass warriors is a suitably dwarfy architectural task, and if massacring trees in the name of building an even bigger tree with their corpses isn't dwarfy, I don't know what is. Hoped this was of some assistance/inspiration.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The recreation of Yggdrasil or Valhalla
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:45:58 pm »

Yes yes. Very helpfull. Thank you. I think I will stick to the pagan gods theme.

Now if I were to build Valhalla or Yggdrasil, I would:

...idk...

All the depictions show this structure to have been placed on a precipice. The rood choice is different in each one. Height of the structure is also different in each case.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 12:08:58 am »

Your best descriptions are going to be literary, and from a translated copy of the poetic edda

The poetic edda is a collection of the old oral traditions and songs of norse mythology, and has rich descriptive verses.  If you really intend such a megaproject, valhalla alone will take up a comple "maximum size" embark, without a lawn.

The "front door" is so wide, that 500 warriors can stand abreast, walk through in step, and not touch the doorframe.

This means it has to be 500 tiles wide. That's one really big door. I suggest using drawbridges in plce of doors.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:14:18 am »

Your best descriptions are going to be literary, and from a translated copy of the poetic edda

The poetic edda is a collection of the old oral traditions and songs of norse mythology, and has rich descriptive verses.  If you really intend such a megaproject, valhalla alone will take up a comple "maximum size" embark, without a lawn.

The "front door" is so wide, that 500 warriors can stand abreast, walk through in step, and not touch the doorframe.

This means it has to be 500 tiles wide. That's one really big door. I suggest using drawbridges in plce of doors.

So... 48x48 embark size? Sounds cool.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 12:32:50 pm »

Looking at your Yggdrasil picture is seems that the whole fort should be built resting on a single pillar. 

Bonus points for connecting it to a lever (called Ragnarök) prominently positioned in the dining hall.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:59 pm »

I put my vote for Yggdrasil. I say either way to make it in a good biome, just to add to it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:42:30 pm »

A single root of Yggdrasil, extending from the HFS through the spire all the way into the skies unseen.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:43 pm »

A single root of Yggdrasil, extending from the HFS through the spire all the way into the skies unseen.

Said root must support the entire map above the Magma Sea: if it were cut (or gnawed through), the entire "world" would collapse into the SMR
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Stopkilling0

• Bay Watcher
  • FarmBaconFarmBacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 03:13:11 pm »

Have you ever read any of the legend of drizzt books? If so it would be quite easy to imagine Mithril Hall

, actually, in the Crystal Shard,
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:14:45 pm by Stopkilling0 »