Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting water underground in a freezing biome  (Read 3249 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Getting water underground in a freezing biome
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:03:50 pm »

I know I've done this once before.  I even had an underground mist generator sourced from water above (that thawed yearly).

I understand if you channel out from above, the area below will be considered "outside", and will freeze, even if 7 z levels down.

So... how do I do it?  Build a floor over the river?  And come from underneath with a staircase?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Getting water underground in a freezing biome
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:49 pm »

If the water thaws at any point during the year it is rather easy:
1)Make an underground reservoir.
2)Dig a tunnel that leads from the bottom of the river into your underground reservoir.
3)Breach the river bottom. When it thaws it will fill up your reservoir while it is liquid.

If your biome is frozen year round it is usually easier to just get water from the caverns. If you absolutely have to get water from the surface then the only way to do it is by running magma directly underneath the ice, thereby causing it to melt. The water can then flow out of a tunnel that you have dug into the side of the river (and has never been exposed to the surface) allowing it to stay int he liquid form. Be warned that if your biome is permanently frozen the only way to get more water on the surface is to either exploit the fact that any amount of water that has been frozen and then remelted comes out as 7/7 or by running magma off of the map underneath the source tiles in order to unfreeze them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:56:57 pm »

tanks

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:30 pm »

If you have any tiles of ICE on your map, then you can cave them in, and as long as it doesn't glitch up like DF is want to do, it should make liquid water beneath.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:46:25 am »

digging a tunnel to the water source, setting a floodgate, and then breaching it afterwards seemed to work for me.