Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: science experiment on mud: Experiment complete. Null result.  (Read 11554 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
science experiment on mud: Experiment complete. Null result.
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:51:29 pm »

I have noticed a behavior concerning the depth of mud, and the rate/dispersion of mushroom tree, cavern bush, and cavern moss growths.

Specifically, it appears as if deeper mud grows the floor fungus faster, and has a higher profusion of spore trees and bushes than does shallower mud.

For this experiment, I will implement the following protocol:

DFHack will be used to spawn a series of identical stone(obsidan) floored rooms, 100x100 tiles square, and one "control" room, covered with a DFHack injected layer of soil, using tiletypes.

Each chamber (except the control) will be contaminated to different depths of mud contaminant, ranging from "dusting" to "pile".

The test fortress will be saved at this point, for repeat testing.

The cavern layer will be breached immediately after, and the rates and densities of plant growths in the chambers will be monitored, and recorded against the passage of game time in days/months.

Results will then be published.

Does this experiment merit being conducted, or should I just forget about it?

Experiment completed:

Findings:

Smoothed tiles with mud on them will only grow shrubs and trees. THEY WONT GROW MOSS!!
There does not appear to be any significant advantage to adding a thicker layer of mud to a growing room tile.
There does not appear to be a significant advantage to using a soil layer, vs muddied tiles for growing shroom trees and cavern shrubs.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:07:25 pm by wierd »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: science experiment on mud: proposal
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:02 pm »

seems like a valid experiment -- more plain old Science than ‼Science‼, but that's often more useful to the average fort.

I'm especially interested by the comparison to the control/soil
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:14:07 pm »

Ok, I will conduct the experiment. This shouldn't take too long with DFHack, a fresh berry picker fortress with invaders off and capped pop, and the FPS uncapped.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:01:18 pm »

PTW... Boy I'm saying that alot nowadays.

Anyway... Does DFHack have a way of checking the "amount" of grass on a tile? I seem to remember Toady, in a DF Talk, mentioning that grass information is stored as a number from 0 (no grass) to 100 (max grass). If DFHack can check this, you should post that data as well, or at least a random sample of it; that's a lot of tiles to check.

Don't forget to keep dorfs and critters out!
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »

Tiletypes is good for this.

Paint hidden 0
Range 1000 1000 1
(Blank line)

BOOM, layer revealed without path.  Paint in the obsidian floors with liquids.
Back to tiletypes.

Paint material soil
Range 100 100 1
(Blank line)

Boom, 100x100 lot of soil at cursor location.

No good way to get unifor mud though. DFHack doesn't seem to have a way to paint mud of a fixed depth. Instead, each lot will be a statistical scattering with greater distributions toward a target depth. That's the best I can do.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:50 pm »

temporarily ring the outside with riversources. let it fill, and then use dfhack to set the water to 0. rinse and repeat until mud levels reach desired height.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:08:05 am »

I already have 1 room at "dusting", one room at "small pile", and a third at "Pile". I don't think it gets thicker than "pile" though... I have a 4th chamber with stone floor I will flood to attempt a thicker deposit, but I don't think it will get any thicker.

I have saved the fortress for savescumming, to repeat growing runs under identical conditions. Dwarves are just standing around onthe surface chillin by the wagon, growing prickle berries and fishing. Food and drink levels are steady, and invaders are off. Site has lots of wood and local vegetation. I can safely ignore them for the mot part, and focus on the experiment.

The experiment proper will commence shortly.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:12:47 am »

I am interested in the results of this! Frankly I probably won't put them to USE... I don't DO micromanagement.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 02:00:34 am »

Eh, ptw.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 07:27:49 am »

Just one last thing, I think it would also be worth seeing if muddied soil grows any better than unmuddied.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:05:51 pm »

Alright. I think I can squeeze that in....

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 02:13:12 pm »

PTW. Interesting proposal.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 02:54:23 pm »

*Initial data redacted, experiment restarted. Test conditions changed slightly to aid data collection.

Change: Stone cavern floors painted with SMOOTH flag, so that it is reasonably possible to determine which ones have grown fungus.

New dataset to follow shortly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:03:16 pm by wierd »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 03:22:35 pm »

Which square is which? How many saplings/shrubs are there in each? I can't really tell, too used to ASCII.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 03:36:41 pm »

Before I run this experiment further, is there a way to disable painting grass "Brown" from mud contamination? that would greatly ease things. *always hated that.

*screw this, will switch to ascii mode.

That didnt help. Still cant tell the difference between muddy rough floor, and muddy plant. Might restart experiment, and attempt to paint variant SMOOTHED on the floors.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:55:35 pm by wierd »
Pages: [1] 2 3