Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: science experiment on mud: Experiment complete. Null result.  (Read 11663 times)

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: science experiment on mud: Experiment complete. Null result.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 07:46:24 am »

Would smoothing the floors allow for more trees/shrubs to grow?

Read his last post.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 07:59:37 am »

Would smoothing the floors allow for more trees/shrubs to grow?
Read his last post.
Oddly enough, I did. Must've slipped past me.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 12:00:28 pm »

Said post says that trees and shrubs do grow, but moss doesn't.
It doesn't actually say whether or not more trees and shrubs grow in the space left by the lack of moss.

Which is what I want to know.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 02:25:35 pm »

No. The presence/absence of cavern moss does not seem to have any impact on the growth rates of cavern bushes or spore trees. (There was no noteworthy deviation between samples, or between samples and the control.)

I would like to re-run the experiment with modified parameters, assuming somebody updates prospector to count grasses as a new commandline option. Sorta like say, "PROSPECT FLOOD GRASS", so that it prospects the flood selected area, (Say, from d,b,c) and reports on that selected area, and includes grasses.

That way I can determine if the rate of cavern moss growth is impacted or not. The "Moss does not grow on smoothed tiles, but bushes and trees do" behavior tells me that cavern moss uses a different algorithm for growing than does spore tree and cavern bush.  That means there could be a difference for pasturage between mud and soil, but without an efficient means of accurately counting grass tiles, and their depths, I am afraid that's out of the question for experimental testing.

so, for now the only cautionary tale is "Dont try to pen/pasture animals on muddied smooth tiles, because they will all starve to death!". 

Remember kids, we perform science to learn the truth, not to self-gratify. This null result is just as valuable as a positive one. :D

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »

For completeness' sake:

Chi squared (df=1)=0.034, p=0.8533, so it's very much not significant (as was obvious from the numbers anyway)

Thanks for running the experiment! I had always assumed one flooding would be enough, and I'm glad to know that's the case.

To be sure, moss does grow on normal mined stone, right? with smoothed you mean stone that has been (d)-(s)'d?

It's somewhat strange that trees do grow there, as trees won't grow outside over a paved road or constructed floor, although I've never tried muddying said floor...

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:56 pm »

Thanks for conducting this experiment wierd.

I've updated the cave moss page on the wiki and referenced this thread, but the information could perhaps be added elsewhere too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]