Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Half-walls/gates  (Read 2080 times)

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Half-walls/gates
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:31:52 am »

Yay for another suggestion.

Anyway. A half-wall would function as something to block water and magma (And maybe small critters) up to a certain height, about 3/7. Dwarves can walk over them, but it takes longer than usual. The gate would function exactly the same, except that it lets water through, and comes in two variations. One would be the same has the wall, where a dwarf can walk over it etc, and another would be the full height of a wall, but only lets 3/7 water through, so you don't flood things, and water can't go over it. Something that could be used for small bathes in the fort, but you don't need to channel down a layer and have them walk through it.

What do you think, community of insanity the sane?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Half-walls/gates
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:36:33 am »

I think that this has been suggested before a great many times.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:35:53 pm »

Also, would a dwarf be able to stand on a half-wall and stick into the tile above?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Macqueen8800

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:56:00 am »

You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate, or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height. In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate.

synturffake

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:25:29 am »

You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate, or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height. In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate.

Thank for your support

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:17:57 am »

Also, would a dwarf be able to stand on a half-wall and stick into the tile above?
Well, they might be able to act as ramps i guess, just slower since you'd be climbing.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:44:16 am »

Planning permission? What are you talking about?
Here at dwarven !!SCIENCE!!s we reanimate the whole corpse! That's 60% more corpse per corpse!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:51:21 am »

Spambot.
Escaped Lunatic. Nonsense post. Links in signature.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:01:22 am »

and another would be the full height of a wall, but only lets 3/7 water through, so you don't flood things, and water can't go over it.

This would certainly be usefull, but it lacks in realism. When water flows through a gab, no matter how small, it should be looking to equalize pressure on both sides.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 01:53:31 pm »

Spambot.
Escaped Lunatic. Nonsense post. Links in signature.
Wrong thread?

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »

and another would be the full height of a wall, but only lets 3/7 water through, so you don't flood things, and water can't go over it.

This would certainly be usefull, but it lacks in realism. When water flows through a gab, no matter how small, it should be looking to equalize pressure on both sides.
Well he described it a bit weird, but he basically meant a dam. We could also just have floodgates that are a bit more specific though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:08 pm »

Wrong thread?
[/quote]
Replying to Joemit. Read the thread and you'll see it's infected with two spambots.